Kits Telemaster Build

someguyinsandy

Crash Test Dummy
Looking good! In photo 10 I see some sort of roller cutter in the background... How well does it work for cutting covering?

Tony

Staff member
Actually that is just a slide cutter, and it's what I use to cut out decals that I have made, or to cut out plans. I have not tried it on monokote yet. I have cut monokote on the plotter though lol. Thinking about putting some pretty decent graphics on this plane with plotter cut monokote. Just need to get some backer board to help out.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh yeah, and I covered half of the wing in yellow. Forgot all about running friggin wires so I have to cut some of it back off and patch it up. This really sucks lmao. Oh well, it's getting there. Just need to order some more servos. 3 to be exact.

Tony

Staff member
Just finished covering the main wing section. Still have to finish up the flaps and ailerons then I will cover them as well. Sucks that I had to cut a slot in the top of the wing to wire the aileron servo though. Oh well, it will still fly.

Tony

Staff member
Yeah I have gotten a number of those and I'm not sure why. I'm looking into it though.

Tony

Staff member
Well crap, I have gone and done it now. After covering the wing for the second time, I realized I had cut the flaps too far in towards the fuse. Now I can't rubber band them on. So I had to cut more friggin holes in my monokote, install a hook and two blocks of wood so that I can bolt the wing on. Ugh, this thing is never going to be finished lmao. Ah well, it will have a cleaner look being bolted on. Pics to come later.

Tony

Staff member
Alright, I had an extra nylon bolt and blind nut from the Rogue Bipe and use that to bolt the wing on. I will be using another bolt and blind nut but I have to head to the hardware store to get them. So that will come at a later date. As for right now, I'm pretty much as far as I can do until I get some control horns, servos and linkages to finish up the build. I need to get all of the electronics in it before I can make a battery mount and decide if I want to use a battery door or just take the wing off ever time. Suggestions?

Tony

Staff member
Okay, where would I put the door? Sides, bottom, through the windshield? What sucks is everything is covered except for the cowl just behind the motor where I still have to install an ESC. But being balsa, it's not that hard to cut a door. Just not sure where it will look best.

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
If it were me I'd wait till everything is dry fitted and use the bat to figure out your cog. Put the door there!

Tony

Staff member
Put the door where? It can go in anywhere, I still need to cut it. I'm thinking the bottom would be best since I can center up the battery. I'm thinking with as big of a motor as I used I will need to slide the battery back quite a bit. Guess I need to figure out ESC placement, servos won't make much difference in weight. Time to figure out ESC placement lmao. Yay me.

someguyinsandy

Crash Test Dummy
Is it possible for you to glue in two "pins" just below the leading edge of the center of the wing so that they can enguage the front lip of the opening under the wing. Those, along with a couple of locating slats of wood under the wing would make it possible for you to only need the one nylon bolt near the trailing edge to hold the wing in place. You could even glue up something to that bolt to make it removable by hand.

With one bolt to remove you can do away with the need for a door all together. It's just a thought...

Tony

Staff member
Yeah, I build a hook for the front where it just slides in but because of the center rib, if I use only one bolt, it would be off to one side. With two, it just looks better. And lets not forget we are suing balsa on all of this, so any redundancy we can have is better.

Tony

Staff member
Okay, the door is cut into the under side of the fuse and I have installed a battery tray. I have had the landing gear wire on it for some time now but didn't have any wheels to put on them. I opened one of the boxes that was donated to Rc-Help along with some engines and there were two massive wheels. They are slicks, but they should go over the grass we have out here. So I stuck them on lol. They look like a characacher or something lmao. Now I just need to figure out how to get a tail wheel on this thing and I will be in business. Well, except for the servos and such. It's finally starting to look like a plane again.

Top Bottom