Kits Telemaster Build

RCD

Glencairn Drone
I meant adding wood to the wing for ailerons would make covering easier. Lol

someguyinsandy

Crash Test Dummy
Pretty cool thread. That looks like a good first bulsa kit for me if they are still available.

P.S. If it was me, and I had to tear the covering off of it anyway. I would build proper ailerons. Just sayin'.

Tony

Staff member
I just tore all of the covering off the wing, and most off the fuse. I tore it off the wing just to put ailerons on it. I hated to remove all of it, but if I want it done right, this is the way I had to do it. I'm really thinking about removing everything and changing the colors of it. I know I have not put many pictures in this thread, but the contrast on the red and yellow just doesn't do it for me. I guess we will see what happens in the coming weeks. I do have 3 extra servos from the HK450CrapPro that I'm going to use on this plane. Just need to get one more unless I use only one aileron servo. Again, we will just have to wait and see what happens.

Tony

Staff member
Actually the only place you can get this plane now is hobbylobby. I have ordered things from them and never had an issue at all.

As an update to this thread, below are some pictures of the way the plane sits now. I also took a picture of my trash can with all of the covering in it lol. And on the elevator, you can see there are still some wrinkles left in it. I will try to work those out if I keep the yellow on the plane. Let me know any opinions you may have.

IMG_5590.JPGIMG_5591.JPGIMG_5592.JPGIMG_5593.JPGIMG_5594.JPGIMG_5595.JPGIMG_5596.JPGIMG_5599.JPG

IMG_5590.JPG

IMG_5591.JPG

IMG_5592.JPG

IMG_5593.JPG

IMG_5594.JPG

IMG_5595.JPG

IMG_5596.JPG

IMG_5599.JPG

Tony

Staff member
Alright everyone, here is the first steps in putting ailerons on the Telemaster. But why stop there? I also decided to put flaps in this plane. Man, with as light and as much lift as this thing has already, with flaps I should be able to fly backwards lmao. Have a look and tell me what you think. I still have a lot of sanding to do on them yet, this is just the roughed in shape. Looks pretty good to me.

IMG_5601.JPG

IMG_5602.JPG

IMG_5603.JPG

IMG_5604.JPG

IMG_5605.JPG

IMG_5606.JPG

Last edited:

Tony

Staff member
Did you see the second set of pics Travis? I ask because I just uploaded them. And I can't wait either. But it's going to be a while, Since I'm putting flaps on this thing, I will need more servos than I thought. Maybe I can hide them inside the fuse somehow and only use one for the ailerons... :thinking:

Tony

Staff member
How would you run the ailerons and flaps on this plane? I have multiple options although one is out of my reach because I'm going to be running a 6 channel Rx. because of this, I can run two aileron servos and one flap, or one of each. I'm not quite sure how I wanted to do all of this. There is limited space where it fits into the fuse so space is an issue. But I think if I run dual 9g servos it can be done. The other issue is running the control rods and wires.

Steve (someguyinsandy) is building a Bipe and I suggested a hidden linkage system. I'm thinking about doing this exact same thing on my plane however it will be a little harder since I'm also running flaps. Any and all suggestions are welcome on how you would do this if this were your plane.

someguyinsandy

Crash Test Dummy
Tony, what about a combination of the above. Bury one servo for each aileron in the wing(s) connected with a "Y" harness, and use the hidden method to work the flaps. Hence, one channel for ailerons, and one for flaps. I also think that you can use high/low rates on the flaps to get two differant positions.

Tony

Staff member
On my DX8 I have a 3 position switch so yes, I can do just that. However I'm wondering if keeping the weight at the center is not going to be better. Running rods out to a 90º linkage going to the ailerons would be best. Or, run it in the way you are running yours. I will need some really strong spring steel with the length of the rods. The torsional effects on the rod would be pretty high running this span. I'm just not sure where I could find such spring steel. I'm thinking running the rods for the ailerons through the center of the wing with the 90º linkage at the end is the way to go for the aileron and running the linkages for the flaps like your plane. I guess I just need to drill some holes and play with the setup to see how this will work out.

Of course I still need to cut out the other aileron. Seeing as I did this after I built the wings, just the left side took over two hours to get as far as you see in the photos. And that is not that far lol. Hopefully the right side will go faster.

someguyinsandy

Crash Test Dummy
I don't think the weight is really going to matter that much. I mean you are adding the servos anyway, and you are going to use a 480 motor. If you can position the servos near as possible to the thickest portion of the wing, then all you are really doing is carrying a few more grams of dead weight. Not to mention making the installation easier, with fewer parts to fail, etc, etc.

In the end it is up to you, but this is a trainer, has a relatively large wing area with very light wing loading (based on the specs I looked at), so placing the servos in the wing just makes sense to me...

Tony

Staff member
You are correct, it is a trainer, it is a very light plane with an even lighter wing load. I know it will pull the weight without issue. I'm just looking to keep with a very clean look on the wing. Having servos sticking out of the wing would take away from the look that I have in my head. But that is the reason I started this whole deal about how to run it, to get new ideas. And you have had some great ones. Now to just play around with it and see what looks and functions best.

someguyinsandy

Crash Test Dummy
I have been noodling the torsion question as well. I think I may have come up with a solution! I purchased some 3/32" x .014 wall brass tubing a while ago. I've been thinking that I can miter cut, and solder it up into the various 90 degree bends necessary to make the control rod. It can be smashed flat at the connection point for the linkage from the servo, and easily connected to the linkage by drilling a small hole in that flat part so that the "Z" bend has a place to go.

The tubing is relatively light, and abo****ely resists the torsional effects that you and I are both concerned about. In addition, the 90 degree bend portion that inserts into the aileron itself can be made from wire (bent 90 deg) and inserted into, and soldered to the brass tubing.

I guess I got freed up tomorrow, so I will be back to building on mine. I think I will use the brass as I mentioned above, unless I can locate carbon fiber tubing with similar torsional properties...

- - - Updated - - -

abo****ely should have been "absolutely". I don't know what happened there???

Tony

Staff member
You crossed around the "s" and the "o". Made a bad slang word that the forum took out lol.

Well I woke up at 0600 this morning with the wife and I think I'm going to get crackin on this wing. I would really like to get it done. If I'm going to be putting only two servos into the wing, I need to do some planning and get some parts ordered. I will also need some more sheet balsa since I'm about out. Actually, I may use ply and not balsa. Oh the decisions lol. Either way, I think doing it this way and not just using strips is the way to go. I know the flaps are going to look great, I just hope 1.5" ailerons are enough. The thread I was reading stated he used 2" and it could be made smaller. So here's hoping.

Just incase anyone was wondering, I will be using monokote for a hinge. The aileron will be hinged at the top and the flap at the bottom. Should prove interesting to say the least.

Tony

Staff member
Alright everyone, between shooting and editing video i have found a little time to do some work on this wing. The most progress I have made is making a mess lol.

I decided to use dual aileron servos just because they are easier to setup. I will be running the wires along the leading top edge of the wing and they will be hidden under the monokote. If I have a problem with them, I will only have to cut a small hole for the wires in the coating and it will be quite easy to repair. I just hope it works out as planned.

In the videos below you can see I have both sides of the wing cut out and most of the work done on the ailerons and flaps. You can also see I have an angle on the ailerons but the flaps are 90º. The flaps only have to bend down whereas the ailerons have to go up and down. That is the reason here. Have a look at the pictures and let me know what you think.

Telemaster Aileron Mod 001.JPGTelemaster Aileron Mod 002.JPGTelemaster Aileron Mod 003.JPGTelemaster Aileron Mod 004.JPGTelemaster Aileron Mod 005.JPGTelemaster Aileron Mod 006.JPG

Telemaster Aileron Mod 001.JPG

Telemaster Aileron Mod 002.JPG

Telemaster Aileron Mod 003.JPG

Telemaster Aileron Mod 004.JPG

Telemaster Aileron Mod 005.JPG

Telemaster Aileron Mod 006.JPG

Tony

Staff member
We have more pictures. After looking at it and the work that would be needed to hide the servos, I decided to put 4 servos on the under side of the wings. One for each aileron and one for each flap. With the flaps, I'm going to have to run a Y harness so that will force me to install the servos in teh same direction rather than having them look correct lol. Oh well, it's what we have to do when we cheap out on Rx's lmao.

I also put the covering back on the fuse of the Telemaster. It looks much better now that it's not layered and it's lighter. The feel is softer as well. Well as soft as plastic can be hahahaha. Let me know what you think.

Telemaster Aileron Mod 001.JPGTelemaster Aileron Mod 002.JPGTelemaster Aileron Mod 003.JPGTelemaster Aileron Mod 004.JPGTelemaster Aileron Mod 005.JPGTelemaster Aileron Mod 006.JPGTelemaster Aileron Mod 007.JPGTelemaster Aileron Mod 008.JPGTelemaster Aileron Mod 009.JPGTelemaster Aileron Mod 010.JPG

Telemaster Aileron Mod 001.JPG

Telemaster Aileron Mod 002.JPG

Telemaster Aileron Mod 003.JPG

Telemaster Aileron Mod 004.JPG

Telemaster Aileron Mod 005.JPG

Telemaster Aileron Mod 006.JPG

Telemaster Aileron Mod 007.JPG

Telemaster Aileron Mod 008.JPG

Telemaster Aileron Mod 009.JPG

Telemaster Aileron Mod 010.JPG

Top Bottom