450 Tamed Down Suggestions Please..

Kamper

The settings for the 3GX unit were set by the LHS as I am a Mac user and their software will not talk with my laptop... This issue was a concern enough to consider a change over to the BeastX as it is Mac friendly..

Ken--

Lee

I'm a Mac boy too, and all my software is Windows for RC stuff. I do have Virtual Windows running on my Mac, but its a real PITA. Looking to get a Small notebook just for RC stuff that is powerful enough to run Phoenix sim.

Kamper

I started with Parallels when I first went over to Mac about 6 years ago. I will agree it was a big PITA until I finally dropped all Windows programs. For a Sim I bought Aerofly and it works well with my radio. The only inconvenient issue is your Sim models are mostly real Heli models and they have only a few toy models. Some of the Windows Sims have a full lineup of Blade/Align helis so it is nicer to train on the same model of heli you have. I might have to just bite the bullet and swop over to the BeastX controller. I was hoping I could get the 3GX setup and just manage the final adjustments in the radio. It might be cheaper in the long run to do the swop.

Ken-

Lee

I have Beast X and IKON. The BX is great not needing the PC but the IKON is awesome. So i'm stuck with this windows infection in my Mac until i get a Notebook :D I use Heli-X. Its made for mac and is similar to phoenix.

Kamper

Here is a question someone might be able to answer......If I do the swop over to the Ar7200BX controller (Beast X) is it best to mount it on the top platform?? (This might be the only option?) I currently have the 3GX mounted on the bottom platform. I have read about the IKON controller and it sounds good but is only Windows friendly, not good for a MAC user. I think for me right now the Beast X might be the best choice for ease of setup and function. Also I should be able to use one of the two Spektrum 9645 Satellite receivers from the 3GX setup.

Thanks,

Ken-

Westy

LEGEND
you dont like the 3Gx? I love my one .... works a treat.

you should be able to run it in a windows emulator on your Mac.

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
First, I'm not a Mac user other than my I phone and I pad. The only thing I can say is that there are lots of Mac users on this sight. Including both Lee and GABA. They both have windows based products! Ikon and brain and 3 gx systems. No one has problems setting them up with there macs! You must be missing something in your setups if you can't set them up. Just my two cents.

Graham Lawrie

Hi Ken, My 450 was like that as well, really digging in on my training gear. Lee found out for me that my gyro was reversed:)

Tony

Staff member
Sam, Lee and gaba both are running parallels or something on their mac so that they can use a windows OS. That is how they are programming the gyros.

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
Sam, Lee and gaba both are running parallels or something on their mac so that they can use a windows OS. That is how they are programming the gyros.

Yep parallels with xp on Mac and programs on top of it.. For programming my castle esc, ikon fbl and all

Fly safe!! :) have fun!

Lee

Yep all my RC stuff is running on a windows virtual machine. The only thing not working for me is the simulator. Cannot get the USB to recognise my sim cables. Everything else in my house thats USB works on it except the sim cable. Its really annoying.

Kamper

Hi Guys,

Just wanted to bring you up to speed with my RC experiences as of lately..

The 3GX controller programing is Windows based plain and simple and Macs just won't talk to them unless you use a Windows conversion like Parallels or Boot Camp.

After my last crash which mounted to a broke rotor blade, bent main rotor shaft, two blown servos, bad main gear and bad front tail gears, I got everything replaced and backup to speed. Everything is back to normal, but did replace the head with a DFC upgrade because of the bent head shaft and set the rotor pitch at 10 degrees. I have found a young man in the Phoenix area that is a Flight Instructor for full size planes and in his spare time he trains people for RC Aircrafts. I took him up on a hour of his time to check settings with my radio and check out my hell..He has me setup with low rates on my radio but reminded me the 3GX unit is a full 3D controller and is much more touchy than my 120SR. He hooked me up with a Trainer cord and let me do some flying..It was a good way to have a flying session as if I got a little close or got wild he would take over the controls. Even with the rates toned down the 450 is very touchy. My 120 SR is like manual steering and the Align 450 is like power steering on black ice..

I also have been having laptop problems and ended up picking up a new Macbook Pro. Now my old Aerofly Sim won't run and didn't look like new drivers will be an option. I am looking at the trial Heli-X sim and all looks good but I can't load any helis. My USB cable to my radio even works but won't load any of the models of helis. I know it is a trial but I can't believe they wouldn't let you test drive a helis. Anyone familiar with Heli-X and could offer me any insight??

Thanks guys for your help..

Ken

Tony

Staff member
Should have gotten a windows based computer lol. I'm not a mac fan, but it's mostly because I have never sat down and learned where everything is like I have on windows.

And yes, the 450's are VERY touchy to inputs. This is where the gyro will come in handy for you though. You can set the roll rates lower in the program (have to have windows though) and it will not give as much input. That plus some expo and you will have a very soft feeling aircraft.

Glad you were able to have a great pilot hook you up with some settings and get you in the air. Teh buddy box is a great way to learn as you have someone there to bail you out if you get in trouble. Wish I had that kind of help. Hell, I wish I DID have that kind of help now with the 600 lmao.

Lee

With Heli-X in trail mode there should be a certain number of helis you can try, unless something changed since i uploaded it 3 years ago.

Kamper

Hi Guys,

I have had my Son help me with the AFPD (Aerofly Professional Deluxe Platinum) install and he suggested installing the software to the User folder instead of the Application folder and it worked.. Now to get the setup figured out again..

Thanks for everyones help..

Ken-

Kamper

Hi guys,

Just an update on my last few weeks...Picked up a new heli Sim for Macs called Aerofly5 by Ikarus.com.. It is much more user friendly than Aerofly Professional Deluxe and even has a bunch of newer RC helis like a Align 450, Blade 400, Align 600 and 700 along with others and real sized Helis. The new laptop runs the sim program like looking out a window, graphics are awesome looking. Even has a Trainer mode for hovering to get you going with some help.

Also to help my programing issues with the 3GX controller I am trying to get a Thinkpad Laptop from work that they put up for bids, will knew if I got a bid around the 15th. The company I work for has around 60 laptops and they range from minimum bid of $30 on the 12" displays to $75 on the larger. I know Windows XP is stopping their updates soon so I think that is the big motivator. Also employees are rough on equipment so they just replace them every couple of years.. As long as the thing runs and has a Optical drive that will handle the small disk I should be fine. I will just use it for hell 3GX adjustments. Just running the sim right now while in Wyoming, won't be back to Arizona until May 10th to do some real flying.

Take care everyone and safe flying..

Later guys,

Ken

Island Breeze

Senior Rc-Help Member
I would like to add to this thread..First of all I want to thank all the Taildragger's for their help, with out your assistance I would have never figured this out. so here goes. I followed Tony's settings and works great. now that all is zero out I will video my maiden flight that is so stable, so as tony stated "no video then it never happen". So I just wanted to add one thing on the pitch curve settings. I fly where wind is constant and with the 46% on low, it took a hell of some time to come down, it was like I was floating out there. so for those who fly where wind is constant try bringing your pitch down several clicks from Tony's settings and go from there. trust me I been there and done that.

Top Bottom