450 Tamed Down Suggestions Please..

Kamper

Hi Everyone,

I am finally at a point to start learning to fly my Align 450 Pro. After assembly I took it to the LHS for final setup/checks out to make sure it is ready to fly.. I had my first flight..all of about 3 minutes, WOW what a bird!!. This is my first collective hell and I got off the throttle in a moment of panic and about pile drived the poor thing into the grass...Wiped out the front tail gear after the tail rotor got into the grass for only a moment. Was a pretty easy fix and now I will ready to try again when I get a day off or back down to Arizona where the wind seldom blows.

The LHS has me setup with fairly high rates, but no 3D on Idle up. Gave me firmware updates and pretty much looks like made most corrections in the radio.

What I would like is very mild rates on Normal mode and rates for Sport flying on Idle Up for now..no 3D for awhile for now..

Could I get some suggestions as what I should try for my TX setup.. such as:

D/R and Expo
Throttle Curve
Pitch Curve
Gyro
Mixing

My radio is a DX7s and my heli is a Align 450 Pro V2 setup with 3GX and 2 satellite receivers. Also I have opted for a set of 450 training gear to hopefully save some tail gears.

Thanks in advance and I look forward to any suggestions,

Ken in Wyoming for the moment and Arizona in 9 more days..

Kamper

Also I will add that I checked my blade pitch and I look to be a bit more than 12 degrees both ways.. Would it be smart to adjust the pitch to something much less for more mellow flying or is this something I can totally do in the radio?

Thanks again,

Ken

murankar

Staff member
Post up tour current settings and the we can let you know whats good or bad.

My setup:
Expo: 1) 25
2) 0
D/R: 1) 70
2) 100
This is for everything except tail which is 0 and 100 on both 1 and 2.

Lee

If you are mechanically set up correctly with the pitch, you can reduce its range in the menu. Go to Swash mix menu where you will find Elev Aile and Pitch with either a -or+ % next to them. Reduce the pitch percentage to reduce the range of travel. Example: if its 60%, put 55% or if its -60% then put -55%. I would set it to give you +- 11º then you can set how much pitch you really want to use with the pitch curves.
Expo would be good at 30% Aile/Elev for a noobie.

stokke

I started out with:

30% expo on aileron and elevator
No change in D/R (100%)
9° positive in Normal
2° negative in Normal
Reduced the Roll and Flip rate in the 3GX advanced menu with about 15 clicks each

Tony

Staff member
I'm going to post more than they did above. This is what I suggest to everyone that is starting out and is what I use in my own heli's

Expo: +35%
D/R : 70%
Pitch curve: 46, 48, 50, 75, 100
throttle Curve: 0, 40, 60, 80, 100

In idle up, the heli will feel more twitchy, so you may need to add a few clicks to the expo to slow the sticks down. I HIGHLY suggest that you reduce the DR to reduce the amount of servo travel there is. New pilots are notorius for stick banging, and adding some DR to the Tx will help keep that heli in place. Again, the above is what I use in my Tx.

And as Lee stated, I would lower that pitch to 10 or 11. If I was just getting started again, I would go with 10.

Slobberdog

Hi I'm using these settings that Tony has advised and am a complete novice, had my bird in the air for the first time last night and found it to be very manageable, not too twitchy but with more than enough control.

Kev.......

murankar

Staff member
That's great. I started with Tony's settings also. Then I did my own thing and got it going. Now video or it didn't happen.

Tony

Staff member
Agreed, leave the tail curve at 0% all the way across which is factory settings. If you want to add some dual rate or some expo to it, you will do it in the DR/Expo menu.

cpo

Thanks to the OP for the greatly timed question, and everyone else for the informative responses. I am planning to try and maiden this weekend (if the timing works out) and so I have been paying attention the Tx setup. This is good info!

Tony

Staff member
Our pleasure bud. Hope to see that Tarot in the air here soon. Just remember, no stick banging. Go very gently and smoothly on the sticks.

Kamper

Hi Everyone,

Tried my hand at flying today with not too good of luck...I was running training gear and it was a bit windy..hind sight I shouldn't have never tried flying in this kind of wind. Anyway got the bird up in the air for a while and then landed hard on the tail rotor and then flipped.. Wow it got ugly pretty fast. Broke one main rotor blade and bent the main shaft. Wiped out the front tail gear again, and it looks like I trashed the tail servo.

I noticed that in Normal mode the hell spooled up to full speed and the heli looked like it was downward trusting, forcing the training gear flat. I switched to FM-1 mode and it went into the air. I must have some settings between Normal and FM-1 fouled up.

I have to order some parts and then back to the drawing board..Any thoughts would be helpful.

Thanks in advance,

Ken-

Westy

LEGEND
sounds like your pitch curve and throttle curve are all not correct. need to get back to the basics ... and if you are not ready for 3d or sports flying ... mimic all three curves and you will not have an issue if you mistakenly "Flip the Switch in mid flight"

Tony

Staff member
Put your settings as I have them listed below. It should help you out when you are just starting out. And by the way, when you are just starting, you should NEVER be in idle up. It's just a crash waiting to happen since it has full negative pitch.

Throttle Curve
Normal: 0 40 60 80 100
Idle Up: 80 80 75 80 80

Pitch Curve
Normal: 46 48 50 75 100
Idle Up: 0 25 50 75 100

That will keep the heli on the ground no matter where the idle up switch is when you are below half stick. But, above mid stick, it will have the EXACT same pitch so there are no surprises as you had in your last flight. Hope this helps.

Kamper

Hi Everyone,

Thanks to all for the help thus far. Since I am waiting for parts I thought I would post you screen shots of my Radio setup.. Take a look and tell me if I have any errors for what I am trying to do..Some of the settings I have adjusted and some have been set by the LHS. What I would like is a Lower rate and a Medium rate if possible, until I get some miles under my belt, then someday I will look at 3D stunts.. Thanks guys for your help..Building the darn this was the easy part, getting it all setup like I want is the challenge..

Ken-

Here we go:

View attachment 4810
Spektrum Dx7s Radio

View attachment 4807
Main Screen

View attachment 4816
Servo Setup

View attachment 4809
D/R & Expo Normal

View attachment 4808
D/R & Expo Idle Up

View attachment 4821
Throttle Cut

View attachment 4820
Throttle Curve Normal

View attachment 4819
Throttle Curve Idle Up

View attachment 4815
Pitch Curve Normal

View attachment 4814
Pitch Curve Idle Up

View attachment 4817
Swashplate Setup

View attachment 4812
Gyro Setup

View attachment 4811
Governor Setup

View attachment 4818
Tail Curve Setup

View attachment 4813
Mixing

View attachment 4822
This in my Bird just before the last crash.. I am not sure if the Training Gear is a help or hindrance.. Might give it a try without the Gear next flight.

Top Bottom