500 tail drift and wag

aquwaman

Hi guy, im sure this is done to death but had trouble finding info. On my Trex 500pro DFC I was having huge problems even getting it off the ground but after upgrading the 3gx from V4 to V5 its a world of difference but i still have a wag going on in head holding but a slow wag with a deflection of about 2". In Normal mode the tail swings to the right, i tried to adjust it wit the tail rod to the servo and it didnt seem to change it. Ive also adjusted the gain on my TX (Futaba 14SG) from 30% which gives a faster wag down to 16% in head holding but im thinking thats getting a bit low and i have it at 50% in normal mode

Whats my next step? go through the tails setup again and see if that helps? or something on the 3gx

What you guys think

Tony

Staff member
This is one of the rare issues with V5. Do me a favor, download V2.1 and see if that helps at all. It should. If it does stop the tail from wagging, then you know it's a V5 issue. Make sure to uninstall ALL Align files from your C: drive on your computer before installing the 2.1 software on your computer. That way you know for a fact that you have a fresh install.

I always go to C: > Program Files (x86) and delete the Align folder. Then, go into your control panel and uninstall the application (3GX). From there, install everything and reflash the gyro. Remember to go through all fo the settings once you are done and set the helicopter up again.

Let me know if you need any help.

Click the link below for the download files.

Rc-Help - 3GX Firmware Downloads

aquwaman

Ok cool ill give that a try tonight.

Thanks Tony

- - - Updated - - -

When you don't he reinstall do you have to go through the whole 3gx setup again?

aquwaman

Yeh just asking if I upgrade or downgrade the version on the 3gx does it remember what has been programmed in it like the dir etc or will it be like a format and will have to start from the beginning again?

I did not go back through the programming after I upgraded to V5. All I did was after the update and a restart i went on the comp and adjusted the settings to very similar to what I saw in your setup vids

Tony

Staff member
I would always go through all of the setups. It could format the system in some areas, but not others. You just never know with these things.

Tony

Staff member
Right on. Let me know if you get stuck. I will do all that I can to help out.

holtneil

Hi mate i had same with my 3GX v5 tail wag tail drift , i did everything to stop it , the only way was the re-flash with v3.1 which stable in the air , to brill on the deck, but wag went and drift went with no other setting changed , so i dont know why it does not like it but if all else fails put v3.1 on and try , this is a link to my thread http://www.rc-help.com/showthread.php/12929-trex-500-pro-tail-shake

- - - Updated - - -

sorry typo its stable in the air but not good on the deck so get it in the air fast and its fine

aquwaman

just a quick update, I reflashed the 3gx with V5 again just in case it was a bad download the first time and I went back through all the programing and made sure everything was sweet and now in normal mode it hovers well with practically no drift at all but in head holding it still wags. I tried playing around with the gain on my TX and at 30% its a fast wag and went down to 10% and I still got a wag but very slow.

Not sure if it matters but I am getting a small shake as the heli powers up but when at RPM I cant notice it anymore, could this contribute? The blades and everything are matched and balanced.

Tomorrow I'll try Tony's way and put V2.1 on and see how that goes, if its all good I guess ill go from there to try new versions and settings

holtneil

Hi mate did you look at my old thread, one of the guys was saying that when you go into the 3GX on a pc, you can lower tail gain in here first then adjust transmitter as it stayed high even tho the transmitter was set low , give it a try you make be lucky

murankar

Staff member
Fast wag is to high of a gain and a slow wag is to low of a gain.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Forum Runner

aquwaman

Hi guys I think the gain on the comp I set it to 55 like people have said and it helped but didnt fix it. With the speed of the wag I tried ever % from 30% to 10% so there was no medium.

Thanks for thr ideas, every bit helps.

I didnt get much time today to install 2.1 and test but will try tomorrow after work

- - - Updated - - -

Do you need to balance tail blades?

aquwaman

Just an update and I think I have given up on v5. I went back over everything an found my main blades were .3g out so I fixed that and made sure they were perfect and tried again. I went for a hover and in normal mode it still has a very small drift but holds so went to head hold and at 30% still a fast wag so tried different % down to 15% and the best was about 25%.
At 25% it was hovering like it didnt knew if it wanted to wag or not like id take off ok then slow wag about 2 seconds later then about half a wag seconds after and so on.

For final hope would the small tail drift in normal mode be whats causing the wag in head holding? What should the gain be on the comp?

Thanks

Ken Jackson

Sounds like maybe something is binding just a bit. Do the tail blades and all associated control surfaces move as smooth as butter? Did you use Lee's tail check out video? Your close it's got to be something minor. When you goose the throttle does it kick out worse?

Ken

Tony

Staff member
What Ken said is exactly what I thought as well. Pull your linkage rod off the tail servo and see if you can move the rod back and forth with NO resistance. If you have any amount of resistance, find it and fix it. The bearings should be super smooth as should all bushings.

The small drift will have no affect on a wag. HH mode is made to hold a helicopter in a particular heading and being off just a hair on the tail is not going to do anything.

aquwaman

Hi guys I have always noticed the tail slider I think it's called is a bit stiffer towards the tail boom than to the tail blades but I lubed the hell out of it and tried to free them up as much possible. It could be a factor. Everything else is smooth.

Hav you got that video of lees tail check.

Top Bottom