500 tail drift and wag

Tony

Staff member
What you need to do is trace it down. I can assure you, it's not on the shaft. Do NOT sand the shaft. Pull the linkage off at the back of the tail boom and move the tail blades by the ball that the linkage was on. If the binding is still there, remove that piece with teh ball. Now, move the slider on the shaft. If the binding is still there, remove the links to the blade grips. Turn the blade grips with your hand. If nothing else worked, you should find one, or both that are hard to turn. Hope this helps.

aquwaman

I will try that tonight and see how I go. May even be from some screw lock I put there to the links to the blades.

Tony

Staff member
I have had to do quite a bit of sanding on some of the tails to get them nice and smooth, adn still be able to lock the screws down. ,

aquwaman

Yeh I think I'll pull the whole tail apart and start from scratch to make sure everything is smooth and free and give that a go. The hardest part is being a beginner trying to get it off the ground to test it without crashing haha.

murankar

Staff member
If you still have wag check your ball to center distance on the servo horn. I had a wag on my Gaui with the ZYX-S. I moved the ball one hole close to the center and cured a lot of the wag. Once i got the gains set i was able to lock the tail in.

The drift is a mechanical issue. Need to adjust the push rod until the drift is gone while in rate mode. Once that is set then flip to head hold and adjust your gains accordingly. Your next step is to flip into iu1 and adjust just your gains once again to cure any residual wag while at higher head speeds. Once the gain is set after that you should be golden until you get into more advanced moves like a full collective aileron loop to the right.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Forum Runner

Last edited:

Ken Jackson

Yeh I think I'll pull the whole tail apart and start from scratch to make sure everything is smooth and free and give that a go. The hardest part is being a beginner trying to get it off the ground to test it without crashing haha.

Your not doing anything that all the rest of us haven't had to do. It's all part of the experience, lol

Ken

aquwaman

Hi guys I have an update. I've pulled the tail apart and gone over it all. I've tested every part separately and everything is very smooth except the small black plastic arms that go to the blade grips, they were stiff so I fixed that so started putting the tail back together when, I got to attaching arm that screws to the slider, it gets tight but take it off and they are free as a bird even without the screws it binds up. It's not the bearings they seem ok.
It feels like the shaft is a bit low and the arm pushes the slider up and makes it bind.

Could my tail case be twisted or something? It's a brand new kit

Ken Jackson

That's possible especially if they are generic parts.

- - - Updated - - -

Do you have an older assembly maybe you can swap parts and get the best with what you have?

aquwaman

I had to put a shim washer under the bearing on the bottom side of wher it mounts to the tail housing and it freed it all up perfect. Ill give it a test fly tomorrow and see how it goes

aquwaman

Hi guys I went for another hover and started it rate mode but the drift was worse than before. Trying to adjust it and it felt lik it was getting worse till I clipped the ground with the tail. I must have done something to it to make it unstabe again. Then I didn't like the servo horn it wasn't quite at 90 so I ripped half the heli apart and went back over everything. Haha what a pain.

I changed the horn to one more at 90 and when back through the tail setup and it looks good now but I had another thought.

Does the rpm or head speed effect the tail? Like the wag? At 50% pitch it's at 60% throttle. Then at 75% pitch it's 75% throttle? This is normal mode not idle up

- - - Updated - - -

Hi guys I went for another hover and started it rate mode but the drift was worse than before. Trying to adjust it and it felt lik it was getting worse till I clipped the ground with the tail. I must have done something to it to make it unstabe again. Then I didn't like the servo horn it wasn't quite at 90 so I ripped half the heli apart and went back over everything. Haha what a pain.

I changed the horn to one more at 90 and when back through the tail setup and it looks good now but I had another thought.

Does the rpm or head speed effect the tail? Like the wag? At 50% pitch it's at 60% throttle. Then at 75% pitch it's 75% throttle? This is normal mode not idle up

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry about the multiple posts I'm on my phone and the stupid thing crashed

murankar

Staff member
Yes head speed can affect the tail.

For starters if you set the gains while in normal mode you'll be fine but once you kick into IU1 with a higher heaf speed you may see a wag in the tail which means you'll more than likely drop the gain to lock it in. If you have an IU2 and it is setup with an even higher head speed then you could see yet another wag.

If you still have drift look at the length of the push rod. Your tail pitch is not set correctly. The book will give you a starting point but you will still need to fine tune the length.

aquwaman

Hi guys just an update and I dont know what else to do and its starting to get to me. I went right through the whole heli and set it up to the best of my knowledge but this flybarless is beyond me.

Ok so what its doing now is I have it all back together plus still using V5 and put it in rate mode and got rid if the drift, killer something right and switched to HH at 30% and it was wagging as expected so dialed it in and got iy to hover at 15% but as soon as you touch the tail it goes into syco wag mod like super fast and i think a bit of osolation but had to land quick so not sure.

I downloaded V2.1 and installed, I went through all the same setup as I did with V5 and it did all the same stuff.

What you guys think I should try now

- - - Updated - - -

I also put the rudder locking gain to 50. I dont think I adjusted anything else

Tony

Staff member
Are you sure you are on the correct channel? If you are using satellites only, your gyro channel should be Aux2. If you are using a Rx with the 3GX, then your gyro channel should be Gear or channel 5.

aquwaman

Im using futaba with Sbus and off the top of my head i cant remember what the futaba manual says to use. I will have to double check where the tail servo is pluged into

- - - Updated - - -

does anyone know about futaba Sbus? this is the first time i have used it and it could be my problem

- - - Updated - - -

I just checked the manual and it say channel 4 is rudder and channel 5 is Gyro/rudder but connecting through Sbus im not sure which channel it has chosen, ill have to look at the channel assignment.

aquwaman

I had a look at the the functions menu on the 14sg for servo connection and channel 5 says gyro but in the 3gx manual it should say gain.

I don't know if its right or I can change it to gear?

aquwaman

i contacted futaba and they said on channel 5 i can use gyro or gear so im not sure what i have done wrong. maybe ill start a new model and start from scratch

Top Bottom