450 Tail Bobbing A Bit...?

Cyclone 7

Have to agree with all that has been said here about Tarot quality and performance. I have had my Tarot 450 Pro V2 DFC for a year now and could not be happier with it. It was an absolute pleasure to build, with all parts superbly machined and fitting together perfectly. Only criticism I have, which I think is quite common, is that the quality of the screws could be better as the stock allen heads are prone to rounding. I bought the screw upgrade pack and feel a lot happier with the larger head socket combined with Alzrc cup washers.

At the price and the pleasantly surprising quality, I think the Tarot 450 is hugely under rated. Great with the Align 460MX motor, HW 60A v4 ESC and helical gearing.

Have also used Tarot-RC.com for all my spares and CNC upgraded parts and am very happy with their service, indeed. Orders have always been correctly matched, well packaged and delivered in good time.

Rob Lancaster

Thanks for all the input guys!
Here's where it led me...
TAROT 450 PRO KIT (no Motor, no ESC) TL20003 [TL20003] - $103.23 : Tarot-rc.com,Helicopter,Multirotor, Tarot-rc.com,Helicopter,Multirotor, Tarot-rc.com,Helicopter,Multirotor, Tarot-rc.com,Helicopter,Multirotor
http://www.rc711.com/shop/alzrc-450-sport-helicopter-frame-kit-p-5226.html?cPath=165_273_274
Just one little thing. About the torque tube. Which do you prefer? Tube or Belt?
Anything else you guys want me to look at, just for wiggles and giggles...…….

Cyclone 7

Herewith - they save the CF from getting 'graunched' and give just that little bit more tightened area around the screw head.

Cup Washers.JPG

Tony

Staff member
Those are mostly aesthetic but do spread the load of the bolt out over the carbon fiber slightly to keep from damaging, compressing or cracking it.

Cyclone 7

Actually, I do not consider them to be the slightest bit aesthetically pleasing but rather, a very practical and useful component.

Rob Lancaster

Yeah, yeah, like that...
I guess it's just an aesthetic thing...…………
I wanted to make sure because I'm running low on'um………..

Ok,, FYI,, I really am thinking about these two for an upgrade.
TAROT 450 PRO KIT (no Motor, no ESC) TL20003 [TL20003] - $103.23 : Tarot-rc.com,Helicopter,Multirotor, Tarot-rc.com,Helicopter,Multirotor, Tarot-rc.com,Helicopter,Multirotor, Tarot-rc.com,Helicopter,Multirotor

http://mx.alzrc.com/en/ProductView.asp?/397.html
I can still use all my original electrical, and have some fun... In Theory!!…

Fun, Fun, Fun...….……..
Rster...

murankar

Staff member
Most quality kits use those. My goblin 570 has those also.

As for the screws, check out hobbyscrewz.com. They make higher quality sets and individual screws.

Rob Lancaster

It's update time!!
Ok there's good news and there's bad news...
The good news is,,, the tail bobbing is completely gone. even at a low head speed; hurray!!.... I have confirmed that a bent feathering shaft was to blame for the problem.
The bad news is,,, one of the bolts in the new feathering shaft broke with almost disastrous consequences... The photo below shows the result of the hard landing...
I'm wondering if play in the blade holders could cause the bolts to snap like that. You know like fatigue cracks formed in the bolts because of all the up and down and side to side movement.....
Yup folks, saving my pennies for that nice Tarot 450 Pro!
In the mean time I'm going to rebuild this guy again and hope I don't get skewered by flying blades. Off I go!

Attachments

• IMG_1598.JPG
    IMG_1598.JPG
    194.6 KB · Views: 5

Tony

Staff member
Most times when that happens it is caused by overtightening the feathering shaft bolts and causing them to stretch which makes them weak. The other reason could be they are just cheap chinese metal and never would have held in the first place. I'm not sure where those bolts came from though so I can only speculate.

Rob Lancaster

Right on both counts... I'm always careful not to over tighten them li'll babies. I figure, don't forget the Loctite. One time I was reassembling the blade holders and I didn't even bottom out the bolt and it broke off. So the moral of the story is, don't over tighten, use Loctite and pray the bolts don't break. Good luck and stay safe everyone!

I'm almost done with the rebuild but I need to assemble some fireworks I made for the forth first. That's right I make my own fireworks when I can. You should see my neighborhood on New Yeas Eve; it's a war zone!! Ok folks, we got green lights, let's get'm in the air!!!!!!

Rob Lancaster

I finished the rebuild last night.
It was breezy today but I couldn't wait to fly her again and see how it goes.
Wow! It hasn't flown this good in awhile! Again no bobbing or major drifting all over the place. The tracking is cherry and the gyro is functioning ok now as well. I hope it lasts awhile till I get the Tarot 450 pro. That one looks like it has a very sturdy head on it for the price.
Thanks Tony, (with a -Y-), and all for your help...

Tony

Staff member
Hey Rob, that is awesome that you got it flying good! And thanks for spelling my name correctly :biggrin1:

And what about looking into flybarless for your next helicopter? They are way more powerful with the reduced drag on the head.

Rob Lancaster

Ha! I knew you were going to suggest upgrading to a FBL system sooner or later. :hdbng: I love it!...
Ok, you got it out of me...
I have sort of nostalgic feelings about the ole flybar stabilization system.
Picture it, Haiku Valley, (where I live) circa 1970.. My twin and I were only 8. We always used to go up the road about a third of a mile and watch the different helicopters land and lift people or cement or large metal posts and cables for an electrical system upgrade, up to the mountains. It was so cool to watch this action unfold before your very eyes almost everyday for about years or so.

We'll never forget that Sunday morning when just the Bell 47 showed up...
We decided to go up and check it out like always.
After a couple of quick trips to the north ridge site, the chopper returned and landed.
Me and my brother see the pitot signal the refueling guy over to the chopper.
The pilot points directly at us and continues to talk to the guy for a moment.

I look at Tom, my bro, and say; "this is it, we wore out our welcome, and their going to tell us to leave for safety reasons.
Yup; here he comes! S#*t man!!

We were NOT prepared for what was about to happen next!!!
The guy comes over and asks us if we want a ____ ride babee!!
We look at each other in non-belief!
What do you think two red blooded American eight year old twins did??

I remember well, the fuel guy telling us not to touch the release for the seat belt. Where're talking no doors folks, wow!.....
At first I wasn't used to seeing the trees just shrink and this feeling of just going up. I was think'n, what the ____ did I just get myself into?!!...…
Hey after a few seconds brother Tom elbows me and says, check it out!
I saw the valley and more like never before! It looked different from up there for sure.
I remember look'n up that that flybar and wondering; what the heck is that thing all about.
As I now know, the Bell 47 uses a Bell/Hiller rotor head just like my Li'll 450 sooooo,,,,,...…. I just like having a working museum piece of the mechanical set-up of the old days.

After watching your set-up videos, it's easy to set-up a flybar head sooo let'r rip!!

Not to worry my friend!
After I settle these little flybar problems, I have designs on the FBL concept.
I figure I'll get something in the 550 or 600 range next.
Any suggestions? Remember; budget, but good; right... ;)

Top Bottom