450 Tail Bobbing A Bit...?

Rob Lancaster

Oh hey I forgot to ask,, where can I find the SERVO ARM linkage balls?
You know the ones, their either hollow so you can use a nut and bolt or the ones that have a long enough threaded stud that will go all the way through the servo arm and you use a nut to secure?
Allllllright!

Tony

Staff member
Yes, those are the ones, or at least look like the ones.

and if those threads are not long enough, then you have the extra thick arms that are made to not have the nuts on the back side. I have never had one pull out on me, just don't over tighten it.

Rob Lancaster

Here you go...
I decided to replace the servo arms because the holes are to big for the new balls stud. Also there are micro cracks in these areas. ( yellow arrow) The servo's make is visible in the left of the photo.

Attachments

• IMG_1587.JPG
    IMG_1587.JPG
    219.2 KB · Views: 7

Rob Lancaster

I'm still doing my search for some Align 450 SE V2 head parts.
I'm confused, what's the difference between the SE, SE V2 and the Sport, Pro, DFC, heads?
There all 450 heads aren't they?

Tony

Staff member
Yes, they are all 450 heads, but with minor differences except for the Pro which is usually flybarless and the DFC which is, well, DFC. Also, the 3 heads have different main shafts and different feathering shafts. But, most Align flybar heads will work on that helicopter.

Rob Lancaster

Update time..
I got the new OEM servo arms, Align fixed linkages and linkage ends.
The servo arms are perfect and ready to go.
However the fixed linkages and ends are to long for this HK head. The swash plate is to high or positive, causing to much collective pitch at center stick and beyond, you know...…..
I also found more slop where the radius arm meets the washout control arm. We have a saying in Hawaii; LOOSE MONEY!!

I need to upgrade the cheepo HK 450 GT head with a nice Align setup.
Ok, correct me if I;m wrong.
Can I use the Align 450 PRO, Sport and PLUS head with this frame?
The Align SE V2 head and parts are fading so I think these other ones would be a good upgrade, don't you?
The thing I'm concerned with is the main shaft diameter. The SE V2 has a 5X 116mm shaft and most of the other heads have 6X 118 shafts...

Question: Will the Align main bearings and holders needed to fit these shafts, fit the HK frame???
So far nothing good fits this chopper.

Oh I almost forgot!...
When first setting up the head, what should I set my Spektrum DX8 pitch at? Right now I have it set at 55+...

Rster...

Tony

Staff member
Sorry for the delay, been without internet since yesterday.

That sucks about the linkages. Can you post a picture or 5 so I can see everything?

I think the Pro heads use a different length main shaft from where the collar is to the bottom where the main gear bolts to it. I'm not 100% sure on this though. The diameter of the shafts is the same at 5mm.

As for where to put the pitch, I believe factory spektrum settings is +60. But this will definitely have to be adjusted to suit your flying style and how much pitch you want.

Rob Lancaster

I'll see your internet outage and raise you a power outage... I'm telling you; it's not my fault! All I did is flush the toilet and there was a LOUD boom, and everything went black! I had to bust out my back-up generator. The only thing about that is, my generator powers the house and not the cable amplifiers down the road so no land line phone, TV or internet service. Our service provider NEEDS to rectify that problem; I'm mean really...……

Ok anyway lets get back to the fun.
I started at the beginning with centering the servos after replacing the arms with the OEM parts.
Next I leveled the swash plate. (all trims and sub trims set 0 and centered.)
Then I installed the fixed links.
Then I carefully measured (using a digital caliper) all the other linkage ends and installed them.
The measurement specs came from the Align Trex 450 SE V2 manual.

The pictures are with the stick at center.
Also note: all the linkage ends are screwed in all the way and can't go no further.
What-cha think buddy? I think I need a Align head. Besides I can't stand the slop in the blade holders. Please tell me the Align grips are tight...….

I'm going through some of the manuals trying to figure out if the HK frame will fit the larger main bearing holder of say the Pro, or Sport or even the plus,,, hummm which one would you say I concentrate on? The holders should be the same as far as the with. Just the bearing is a bit larger. Anyway that's what I'm hoping for.
Check out the pictures.
If you need any more info just ask...…….

Attachments

• IMG_1592.JPG
    IMG_1592.JPG
    244.2 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_1593.JPG
    IMG_1593.JPG
    178.5 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_1594.JPG
    IMG_1594.JPG
    224.6 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_1595.JPG
    IMG_1595.JPG
    236.5 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_1596.JPG
    IMG_1596.JPG
    227.2 KB · Views: 2

Rob Lancaster

I knew I'd forget something..
As I go through 5 manuals, 450 SE V2, 450 Pro, 450 Plus, 450 Sport and 450 Sport V2, a question arises...
What do these measurements mean? We're talking about the main shaft. The first is> 5 x 116mm... Next is 5 x 6 x 118mm... I know the 116 and 118mm is the length but what's the 6 for in the second spec??

murankar

Staff member
I don't know what you and Tony have worked out so far because I have not read all the posts yet. I will make one assumption and that is to check all the mechanical stuff in the tail. I am going to further assume you checked all that and also check your fbl unit.

I am going to suggest you look at the head assembly if you still have tail bobs. Dampers, bearings and spindles have been know to create tail bobs. Lastly if your flying a governor turn it off and then tune the tail. If those don't work then we can continue on the mechanical route.

Tony

Staff member
The second number is the width of the collet they press into the shaft. Rather than using a slip collar, they just roll one into the shaft so you don't have to worry about it slipping.

As for Align grips being tighter, they are a little tighter, but they do still have play. Unless you are flying formation and need absolute control, this will not be an issue. For me it becomes an issue when going into an inverted hover.

But yes, those arms are all messed up on that head. I hate to say it, but after searching and only finding one head at $90 and it was only the head, no washout or mixing arms, no slider, no swash, just the head and blade grips, it may be time to upgrade. It would be cheaper lol. Unless you have a buddy somewhere that has a head laying around.

Tony

Staff member
Since that is a clone of an SE V2, I would, and did upgrade to an SE V2 head. Just seems fitting. If your wanting to go with a Pro head, my thoughts are you might as well get a Pro helicopter. Better design. If your wanting to go DFC, I would look at the new dominator frames since they have a fantastic battery mounting integrated into the frame.

Tony

Staff member
Um, sitting out in the studio on top of a box. Been there for about a year in the same place. So apparently it's happy there lol.

Top Bottom