450 Tail Bobbing A Bit...?

Tony

Staff member
I need to get it out and fly it again. I think I have only one or two flights with the new frame you send me. I love the frame but wish I had the cash to make it a 360 rather than the 325 it is now.

Tony

Staff member
I just realized we jacked this thread. Sorry about that. OP, I can delete all of these if you wish.

Rob Lancaster

Howdy murankar, Tony and I have pretty much solved the mystery of the bobbing tail. I found a bent feathering shaft. All though I never actually flown it yet, I know that's what was causing the bobbing. Because I have an HK head there's slop all over the place so I wanted to upgrade to an Align head.

Tony, you pretty much read my mind. After thinking about it, your right, find the SE V2 parts or replace and upgrade the entire chopper.

Here's what really concerns me about SE V2 head...
Have a look at the photo below.
The screw that goes through the top of the radius arm NEVER stays in there. As a result I replaced it with a piece of a paper clip. There's play there to but at least it won't come apart in flight, like it almost did once.

Can a nut and bolt and lock tite, be used to correct this weakness?

If anyone knows where I might find the SE V2 head parts, just shoot me the links, thanks...

Ok, time to go shopping...………….

Attachments

• IMG_1597.JPG
    IMG_1597.JPG
    153.7 KB · Views: 3

Tony

Staff member
If you have a paper clip in that radius arm, then there is one of the severe issues causing the bobbing or wobbling. That should be pretty solid to the mixing arm (or is that the washout? It's early, can't remember...).

Flybar head will obviously have a flybar with mixing and washout arms. Very complicated looking but not that bad once you figure out what everything does.

s-l1600.jpg

A Flybarless head has no flybar rod, but still has the radius arms now known as "Swash Drivers" and has thin linkages connecting the swash directly to the blade grips. This is by far the most popular design and SAB is using this design on their new helicopters.

4pvfbc4.jpg

DFC is a term coined by Align and it stands for Direct Flight Control. However if you ask some of the purists out there, they will say it stands for Direct From Compass since Compass actually came up with the DFC design first. With this design, the radius or swash driver arms are no longer there and the linkages that connect the swash to the blade grips is now beefier and IS the swash driver. These heads have more precision than the FBL head above, but in a crash, they will transfer 100% of the torque from the crash directly into the servos. Unlike the head above that has thin linkages that can bend or break, the large arms on the DFC head are much stronger.

H45162-450DFC-Main-Rotor-Head-Upgrade-Set-01.jpg

Hope that helps clear up some confusion on the different head designs.

Tony

Staff member
I am pretty sure you can find every part you need on this site. Including a full set of linkage rods, the solid type. Is it going to be expensive to build an entire head, yup. But if you want a stable helicopter, I think this is pretty much the only way to do it.

T-REX 450 Sport / V2 Parts

Rob Lancaster

Oh man that sums it up great on the different heads! I finally know what that means now.

Yeah I saw that site and some other ones in my search. Oh yes: ching!! ching!! Folks...
What would you say if I told you I found a new Trex 450 Pro kit. It comes with a good ESC and motor for $217.00 delivered... I figure I could use my Spartan gyro, 3 HiTec HS-65MG cyclic servos, 1 Futaba tail servo, receivers, lighting and telemetry packages. What do you think? hummmm………………….

Tony

Staff member
The "Pro" versions came with flybar and flybarless options. And V2 was just a newer design. Kind of an update at most.

Rob Lancaster

Wow the Pro came with both flybar and flybarless, interesting...
Telling ya, I'm thinking about that 450 Pro for $217.00 bucks...……

Tony

Staff member
Seems a little high for a helicopter that old, but if it is in really good shape, then it may be worth it. But it will have to come with everything and have very little run time on it.

Rob Lancaster

It's brand new and comes with the motor and ESC.. I have the rest. Seems to be a better choice than spending more than that to get all the SE V2 parts.
By the way, just how old is the 450 Pro??

murankar

Staff member
I am a purist then, lol. I am a firm believer in giving credit to Compass for the design. Anyhow getting on to the topic at hand.

Have you considered Tarot parts for the upgrade. I know its not Align but they have a great reputation for putting out quality Align products. You might be able to get a new head for cheaper or even a used Tarot head.

Tony

Staff member
Tarot is a great brand. In fact, Tarot and ALZRC are the same brand. Same factory, different screen print or laser engrave. The Devil 450 I have behind me is the same as a Pro V2 and it only had one issue and that was the head lmao. It was drilled 8mm too high which I have a live stream of me redrilling it live. Or, you could have used a DFC main shaft which is 8mm shorter than the FBL main shaft. But Tarot or ALZRC are fantastic kits. Below is the kit that I built. And it is FANTASTIC for what it is. I did put the Tarot DFC head on it which I have not flown yet though.

With that 3 axis gyro, you can either use the receiver you have now, or you can order a microbeast satellite adapter if you are using spektrum. This gyro is a clone of the MicroBeast. I have not flown it yet, but have heard great things. I will be doing a comparison soon between the Microbeast and the clone. But you can't go wrong with this kit. You already have the motor and ESC so you are set there. The other electronics are very fast and very strong for their price. Just another option for you.

murankar

Staff member
I still have an old K-Bar in the Garage. Not sure if it works but I have it. Since my vcontrol wont work it, just say the word.

Rob Lancaster

WOW! I love it! Options!!
I'm going to need some time to go over all this shhhh,,, I mean stuff, ha!

By the way, what's a K- bar??

Does Tarot and or ALZRC make a flybar version of a SE V2 head? That might be all I need. If at all possible, I hope I can just upgrade the head.
Then again that Devil 450 pro is cool too!

Oh man,, I need to think about it all.

Keep it coming though!

Top Bottom