450 T-Rex 450L Dominater 6S

benram

My gyro where at -50. I tried to trim away the drift and it worked. But how do I adjust tail gain alone? :) sorry for these noob questions!

Anyway. The heli is grounded. For the 2. Flight I wanted to try some different gyro settings, but I was pretty windy. I wanted to fly so bad, so I forgot my common sense. It got a little out of control, panicked and choosed to throttle cut it in the air, before something got really bad. It costed me a new main shaft + skid. Think I was lucky. :/ so sad right now! But new parts will arrive tomorrow :)

image.jpeg

- - - Updated - - -

Train rider:

I'm using a dx6 g2. I also tried to ad som d/r expo on a switch, but didn't seem to do any difference :/

image.jpeg

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Don't worry about it :hmmm:. It happens to all of us one time or another :cussing:. Just learn from your mistake ":scratchchin: Boy do I make some" and fly again.

trainrider06

You should be able to go into your radio in the settings where it says Gyro, and it'll probably say disabled....just enable it, and then adjust from there. I just looked at my Gyro settings on my DX8, and I have like 53 for position 0, and 55 for position 1 and 57 for position 2. I was having issues when doing a pitch up, (where you pop the throttle up on the radio) and the tail was swinging madly to the right pretty hard. On my 500 Pro DFC model my high gain is only like 30% and it's rock solid. But for some reason this Dominator requires more Gains in the radio...
Ouch! Now thats a bent shaft right there!

benram

I think I had my gyro at -40 or -50. If it's 0 or more it will automatically go to Headlock Mode.

Are you using the bx too?

Yeah, shaft has seen some better times. :)

KLA

I would think that you would want it in headlock mode. If you are flying in rate mode and you are getting tail drift, try raising your gains to about +40 or +50 like Rodney said. At least in headlock mode the tail stays where you put it. If you raise your gain and the tail shakes just lower it a couple points at a time til it stops shaking.

benram

Thanks guys :)

When I get some new parts, I will have a lot of testing, finding the right setup. No more windy days for this dominator

KLA

No wind til you get used to the heli pretty good. Not worth destroying what you worked so hard to build. But, overall, I would still say your first build is a success and that you did a great job.

benram

Thanks keith.

Defenently not my last build.:) totally love how a heli works! Dont understand how it took me so long to get one. If I have to get as many heli that's I really want, I have to get a bigger hobby room.

KLA

Yep, it's a very addictive hobby. After I got my first heli, within a year I had 6. Right now I have 12. It can also be very expensive. Some people compare it to a drug addiction. Lol

- - - Updated - - -

Hey Ben, I'm just a little curious. Right now here in the states where I am at it is almost 6am. What time is it in Denmark?

benram

Had the some problem with drones. Bought one every month the first year and sold some, when they collected to much dust :)

Its 12.30 pm :) and the postman came early with some goodies, so I'm all good again :)

KLA

So, you are approximately 6 hours ahead of us. That's cool, just wondered.

That's good that you got your parts already. Did you check your feathering spindle? A lot of times they bend pretty easy. If the main shaft got bent that bad there's a good chance that the feathering spindle got bent too. Sometimes, and I use that word losely, sometimes you can bend the feathering spindle back if you can roll it between 2 sheets of glass or something similar that is hard enough to straighten the spindle. Or you can try just using pliers to straighten it out. You can check the spindle by taking both blades off and putting an Allen wrench on one side and spinning it. If the other blade grip moves up and down even just a little bit then the spindle is bent and will end up causing a vibration.

benram

Yeah, I checked the feathering spindle too, and there were nothing to see. And the blade holders turn without any problems. Think I will make a list of backup parts and order. Hate to wait some days, every time you bend something

KLA

Yeah, having a nice little stash of crash parts is always nice. It sucks having to wait.

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Absolutely it's nice to have spare parts. If I can afford it, I try to order two of everything when I place a order in. Especially feathering, main shaft, and blades. You just never know what's going to happen.

trainrider06

I think I had my gyro at -40 or -50. If it's 0 or more it will automatically go to Headlock Mode.

Are you using the bx too?

Yeah, shaft has seen some better times. :)

you were most likely in rate mode, above 50 is usually heading hold mode (HH) i have the AR7200BX on mine it's basically the same except you don't use the separate receiver, but I use a SAT receiver on mine

trainrider06

Thanks guys :)

When I get some new parts, I will have a lot of testing, finding the right setup. No more windy days for this dominator ��

yeah Ben, myself I don't fly any of my 450's in over 15mph winds, i did one time and was a nervous wreck, I'd fly into the wind and the heli was almost tilted straight nose down trying to push against the wind, and coming back....whew! Scary!
I usually don't fly anything if its 15mph or more now, just not fun fighting the thing.....i NEED that 630 Goblin!!!! Gotta get that soon!

benram

No more windy days for me :)

Had my 2. Flight today, 8 pm and no people at all. Great! My best setup was gyro at 50 and for the tail shake, I almost turn off all tail gain. Doesn't make any sense to me, and it still has alot shaking when moving straight forward.

And first time with HH mode. What a difference! Feel like a slow attitude mode, but works a lot better than rate for a noob like me. :D

image.jpg

And atted a 500 skid. Looks great, if you aske me ;)

image.jpg

KLA

Yep, it does look good.

HH mode is a lot easier to fly with than rate mode. In HH mode, the tail stays where you put it.

trainrider06

That shaking may be fixed by turning one of the dials on the FBL unit, mine has a little shake going into Idol 1 that I need to attend to, just hadn't been able to take it to the field to fiddle with it.
What are your dials set at on your unit? They should all be 0 right now

benram

Yes, all were at 0 before I started today. I followed your advise and disabled all trim on my radio. Only thing I work with on the radio, is the gyro.

Dial 1. Cyclic gain : I added mabye +3
Dial 2. Cyclic feed forward : Didn't really touch this. Mabye +1 or something, just to see iff it made any difference.
Dial 3. Tail gyro response : I added -5 on this. The heli shaked so much in start up, and first added some +, but that made it worse.

This was my best setup so far, but it still is a little shaky shaky when flying forward. It swaps alot with the tail. But totaly in line when hovering.

Top Bottom