450 Starting Problem..

Rob Lancaster

Hi Tony and all in RC land..
Wow, that was a close one! The storm has slowed and weakened a lot. I'm on the island of Oahu and so far we got nothing. There's a lot of rain out over the ocean but so far we here on Oahu are getting only little drizzles. I think we're in the clear for now so we're now back on yellow alert. But should what's left of Lane continue north, we'll get a bunch of rain with only weak winds. It's suppose to make a 90 degree turn to the west any minute and move the hell out of here. We'll see... I got killer radar and satellite telemetry so I watching the situation very closely. Meteorology happens to be another one of my hobbies...

Ok now back to the hobby we all love...
I can't wait to get back at it so I took everything out of their zip lock bags and spread it all out on the ole turn-table. I need to go over the manual some more and make sure the new component configuration will accommodate the new wire runs... So far so good on that... Again, I'm glad I got what was suggested for my 450. You guys are da bes…. My old motor maxes out at 28 amps, my new motor maxes at 55 amps,,, hummmm,,, oh boy I better hold on "A" what!

Oh hey as I suspected, this new ESC has more settings than my old one. I already have some questions on what some of the items do? Governor this and governor that?
What is the relationship in step (05 programmable items) between the programmable ESC list and the programmable LCD box?
Do I need to program the LCD programming box too??
Anyway I'm going to read on and hope we've seen the last of this recent threat. However,, I just had a look at the radar and there may be a ban of heavy rain and maybe a good thunder storm developing south of the quadrant moving north; hummmmmm…………………..

Attachments

• IMG_1634.JPG
    IMG_1634.JPG
    225.1 KB · Views: 6

Tony

Staff member
About all I would do is connect up that box to the internet and update to the latest firmware. I would also do this for the ESC as well. Other than that, the settings are pretty self explanatory. Set the hz and everything per the motor manufacturer recommendations, set a governor if you want, I suggest GovSto I think it is called, but I have seen it called StoGov for some reason. This is where you will need to have a 50% throttle curve with a full battery so the ESC knows where 50% is located. Run it up for about 20 seconds after reaching max head speed, stop it, power cycle it, and you are done.

And I took a look at some radar images down there and I was like "that's not a hurricane!!" lmao. That is just standard ole rain for us. But I know things could have been a lot worse and glad it wasn't. You guys literally have no where to go in the event of a heavy storm which sucks.

Rob Lancaster

Yeah, I think she's fizzling out; forward march!!
I'm on it and will update all that stuff ASAP before I continue with the programming; again; whew!! Thanks for the tips buddy!!
Rob...

Rob Lancaster

I ran into a snag while trying to update the firmware for both the program box and ESC...
First I started with the P-BOX.
I plugged in the box only to the PC with the supplied USB cable. it shows (Hobbywing PB-3.2.33)…
Next I downloaded the Hobbywing USB Link V4.0.5
When I open the file the P-BOX says; Connecting PC... It stays that way??
Next I click Device then LCD P-BOX then the computer just sits there. There's no firmware to choose from; say what?? Or maybe there's no update for the P-BOX in the first place. Same with the ESC; I don't know I'm a rookie when it comes to computers.
Also the two links in the P-BOX manual, for the detailed information don't work...
What do you guys think?

Rob Lancaster

Oh man! Where did you find that link?
I looked high and low on different Hobbywing links but all I was able to find was the Hobbywing USB V4.0.5 link... As you know the paper instructions for the P-BOX falls about 80% short. I knew something was missing..

Excellent! I'm back in business!
Oh and you keep asking! Assume I know nothing, sometimes it's best that way.
Thanks chief...……

Rob Lancaster

Well there's good news and there's bad news...
The good news is that the firmware for the ESC was updated fine and the firmware was already up to date for the P-BOX.

The bad news is when I was going through the programable items, (pushing the items button), the box freaked out. The LCD shows just a bunch of boxes across the top of the screen...
I did try to reinstall the software but the box won't link to the PC.
Oh man, we were so close. Help....:nervous:

Tony

Staff member
I always put "I have to ask" or the like when I post something like that. I have had members absolutely freak out on me and other members for asking "such a stupid question". So I cover my butt and I always ask lol. I can add more responses that I have received... "do you think I'm stupid, of course I did that!!!", or how about "your a bigger moron than I am for asking that!" lmao. So yea...

As for where I got the link, I just did a google search and it was one of the first ones to come up. Guess I got lucky.

As for the issue. try using another cable and make sure the polarity is correct and that you are in the correct port on the ESC (if it has more than the one) and on the programmer (it has one for power and data, then the other one is just for power for helicopters and planes that use a separate battery for the controls and then the motor with the main pack.

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
I've learned from Tony and other's that there's no such thing as a stupid question in this hobby. If you don't ask, you won't know.

Rob Lancaster

I tried all that,, "what kind of crummy advise are you try'n to push off on me".... :chuckles: Stuff like that hah... Folks got to realize, we're all here to help and sometimes there's no such thing as instant gratification. This hobby requires patience, an understanding of mechanical and electrical principles, an understanding of aerodynamic principals.. You need to know how to work a computer and you need to use that computer to program these hi-tech devices used today. Not to mention, you need steady hands with good eye sight. Well, maybe I could still make it happen without the last two... :biggrin1:

Ok, here's where we're at.
I contacted AMain Hobby and informed them of what happened. I would like to just exchange the P-BOX for another one and continue the mission. Mean while I'll just sit here and :drools: over this nice motor and ESC...
Stay tuned!...………

Tony

Staff member
It's pretty rare, but sometimes there is a bad one out there in the world. Sounds like you may have gotten a hold of one of them.... Keep us posted.

Rob Lancaster

While I'm waiting,,.....
I'm looking at the ESC programmable item list and the P-box programmable item list.
Why the two lists??
Doesn't the firmware set the P-Box and then I use the P-Box the program the ESC? Most of the items are the same, I'm confused.. :dizzy:

Cyclone 7

Here they are... Which do I follow? Or do I follow both??
The right hand list is a guide to what you can change if you have the Program Box and displays the current default settings.
Read the instructions listed 1 to 15 below the list - these instructions are explaining/amplifying the right hand 'Programmable List'. All will become clear if you take the time to read the instructions 1-15!

Tony

Staff member
Rob, how are we coming along on this little project?

Here is what I do with this box. I pay no attention to the little manual as posted in the picture and I just plug it in and start tuning away. Almost everything is going to be left at default, but I change the governor and maybe the P and I gains if the stock settings show some issues in flight. Motor timing I leave alone until I know how hot the motor is getting or how much power it has. You definitely want to figure out the frequency of the motor and input that number.

Sorry for the delay in posting, had a marathon run day yesterday and never even looked at my computer all day.

Rob Lancaster

A marathon!? Oh man, I wish I was in that kind of shape; keep up the good work.
Actually, no problem with not having the box. I have other things to do before I install anything; besides, they say if you install any parts those parts are now used, bla, bla, bla…

I contacted Charley over at Hobbywing and he said "sometimes it happens and no one knows why"... So I have the ole RMA on the way and so forth and so on...

Ha! I think the bell just went off in my head about the those two lists. It's just the way it was labeled or something.

Hey, good things are worth waiting for. I'll bet she kicks tail when it's all sorted out; yeah babee!!
Lots of great input everyone!
Thanks...

Top Bottom