General Setting Proper Blade Pitch

Tony

Staff member
Mine is covered with aquariums and acrylic right now lmao. More on that in my Nano thread in the Lounge.

KICK ONLY

Hi! I have been trying to set the pitch (EXI 450se). Here is what I started out with. Blade 1 had 0 degree at mid stick. Full throttle is at +8 And Low is - 11 The other one I have O at mid stick High +8 An Low is 10.5. After adjusting servo rods which are at their limit. I have 0 +10 -11 an 0 +10 -12. Also now the bushing on the washout is binding on the rotor housing. Thanks for any input.

pvolcko

Sounds like you need to lower your swash with the swash-servo links and then lengthen the swash-blade links to match the move. Should get things evened out and get the swash off the bottom of the rotor hub.

Lee

+1 reduce the servo to swash arm links, then go back up the head getting everything level again. Wash out arms should be level then the blade grip link should be adjusted to to get 0º pitch at mid stick.

Island Breeze

Senior Rc-Help Member
Also make sure that your Pitch Curve settings are linear before you set anything on your mechanics. And if you follow Lee's suggestion you wouldn't have to check pitch on both blades, but it wouldn't hurt if you like to assure yourself.

KICK ONLY

Ok! will check it out.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks!!

- - - Updated - - -

If I go lower then I get more - pitch an less +.

Island Breeze

Senior Rc-Help Member
I just have to ask..are your subtrims set to "0" and your servo arms at 90º? For me i always set my swash mix at 60% and work the mechanics from there that way you can add or reduce the mix to get your - and + pitch it will take some time and adjusting and adusting before you get it all set up.

pvolcko

Just realized this is a flybar heli, which I have no experience with setting up. Will beg off and let those with knowledge chime in. :) I'd only be guessing in any further advice I'd give.

KICK ONLY

I just have to ask..are your subtrims set to "0" and your servo arms at 90º? For me i always set my swash mix at 60% and work the mechanics from there that way you can add or reduce the mix to get your - and + pitch it will take some time and adjusting and adusting before you get it all set up.

Servo arms were set as close to 90 then added subtrim so they are right on 90. my swash is at 60%. Haven't tried to use swash mix. Thanks..

Tony

Staff member
If the negative number is larger, then the swash it too low and you need to EXTEND the swash to servo links.

pvolcko

How would you keep it from mashing into the rotor hub then? Use travel adjustment in the Tx to set max and min pitch?

Tony

Staff member
You will use the swash mix on the "Pitch" to adjust the total pitch of the blades. You should never have to touch the travel adjustments.

Tony

Staff member
In the Swash Mix menu, there are 3 options. Aileron, Elevator, and Pitch. Aileron and Elevator are just what they say. Pitch is going to control the Total Collective of the helicopter. Meaning if you have +-8º of collective at -60 on the pitch setting, you can go to say, -75 on the pitch setting and raise your pitch to +-11º.

Pitch will adjust total travel of all 3 swash servos when used with the throttle stick, or collective.

pvolcko

So in this kind of setup there is no limiting "ring" like there is on the 7200BX which takes into account summing and allows you to setup a limiting servo travel range to prevent binding? You have to reduce your pitch and/or ail/el mix amounts to make sure summed extents don't bind?

murankar

Staff member
I hope you got this worked out. If not this is my 2¢.

When setting pitch first I get mid stick level. This should not change through the rest of the setup. Next I go to high stick and set the pitch to +11 in swash mix. Next I drop to low stick and take a reading. If my pitch is different then I make the appropriate adjustment on the swash to servo linkages. Once I am done I then move back to high stick and recheck the pitch. If I had to make an adjustment I then back to low stick and recheck. I keep doing this till I have +-11° at both high and low stick.

Top Bottom