General Setting Proper Blade Pitch

john2012

Banned
This reply is for the first post in this section, Does the setup work for both flybarred and flybarless helis tony or to all helis in general??

john2012

Banned
This reply is for the first post in this section, Does the setup work for both flybarred and flybarless helis tony or to all helis in general??

Tony

Staff member
Is there something else other than flybar/flybarless that I'm not aware of? Just checking lol. I have lost a LOT of sleep here lately.

Yes, it will work on any ccpm helicopter.

John-A

I used to have my normal pitch set at 0,25,50,75,100 and never used idle up. I have now changed it to the settings suggested 45,47.5,50,75,100
Can you surggest what throttle curve I should be using? At the moment I'm using 0,25,50,75,100

Thanks

- John

Island Breeze

Senior Rc-Help Member
If you are still learning the sticks, I suggest you leave it at 0-25-50-75-100 . You can also have your IU the same just incase you accidentally hit the switch. Just remember that your ESC needs to see zero throttle to initialize and you definitely need it when your about to take off and land. Once you get the hang of your sticks and throttle management, then you can bump up your curves.

Lee

You could leave it as suggested, but I find that some thing with a more level throttle helps to smooth out those unintentional thumb twitches.
Something like 0,40,60,75,75.
This will stop the heli bobbing up and down so much cause the throttle is stable, only the pitch is changing.

John-A

Thanks Island Breeze, I've been flying Helis for just over three years and had just started doing loops and was
Starting to get the hang of them. Now I've seen Tony's great video I have done a complete set up and adjusted the pitch curve and was wondering what you guys use as a throttle curve. As I said I have been flying in normal mode with 0,25,50,100 for both pitch and throttle.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for reply Lee, I will give it a go and see how I get on with all my new set up. Hopefully we will get some better weather soon so I can try it out:encouragement:

Tony

Staff member
I agree with Lee, but I would, and do run 0 40 70 70 70 on mine. Keeps the head speed the same even when landing. And I also run a linear pitch curve on everything in ever mode. It's just easier for me. What island stated is also a suggestion just using TH to kill the throttle, but I would wait until you are a little more advanced before doing that. You must be a master at hitting throttle hold and doing baby autos to do that.

John-A

Thanks Tony, I will give your setting a try and see how I get on with them. I can't wait till the weather improves over here.

-John

mariorope

Hello guys, I am with a doubt regarding the pitch settings. I have followed all the steps to do it. I got a pretty decent set up but not perfect. I am using a digital pitch gauge and when I am at mid stick I can see that I am at 0º. But if I turn the blades I can see that in some points I have + or - 0.1 or 0.2º. Is it possible to get a complete 0 and exactly the same maximum positive and negative pitchs? Seems to be impossible to me. I have got quite similar maximum positive and negative pitch (about 10.9) after changing the pitch travel in Swash Mix function. However I can still see some variations between 0.1 to 0.4º at some positions. I think it will be ok, but is it the good settings or it can still be better? Another point that got my attention was that my servos arms are very difficult to be set at 90º. I used a thinner ruler that gave me a good estimation of the line going through the holes of the servo arm and screws to fix the arms to the servos. But I cannot be sure I am at 90º using this method. Is there any other way to do it? I have also noticed that my servos have a little bit difference in travel. My pitch servo goes from -10.5 to +10.7 (21.2 travel), my aileron servo from -10.9 to 11.0 (21.9). As I want to learn more and more and try to make things better each day, I would like to know if these aspects are ok. All the servos are original and new for TREX 450 Pro DFC. Maybe I am trying to be too much perfectionist while it is not necessary. I would like to get some advice on it!!
Thanks a lot!!

Tony

Staff member
I actually answered a question like this earlier today. It's funny how things come up in multiples.

When using a digital pitch gauge, you can ONLY check it from the orientation in which you calibrated your gauge. Below is what I wrote to the other member.

Hey John, if you are using a digital pitch gauge, then that is your issue. When using a digital gauge, you MUST ONLY check the blades on the ONE direction of the helicopter that you calibrated the gauge to. If you calibrated it just in front of the main shaft on the frame, then you can ONLY check the pitch with the blades pointing straight forward. If you try to check it somewhere else on the heli, the angle is going to be different.

If, when you trim out the aileron, it has the same pitch, then you are setup perfect.

What I do, and what the Align manual states to do is, check your aileron pitch with the blade sticking out the front of the heli. Once you have that perfect, then just take the number on the aileron and put it straight over to the elevator. So if your aileron is set to 65% in teh swash menu, then set your elevator to the same 65%.

Sounds like you are very close to putting this bird in the air. If there is anything else that we can help with, just let us know. We are here to help. Oh, and we MUST have pictures of the bird and a video of the maiden :biggrin1:s

mariorope

Thank you for the explanation Tony. I will re-check my pitch blades and I will keep on setting up the heli. I am very excited to put it up...
For sure I will be posting some pics and videos of it very soon.
This thread is really helpful. I could learn a lot about pitch settings with all of you guys and I am still learning with all of it.
Thanks!!

Tony

Staff member
It's our pleasure Mario. Just let us know if you need any more help. That is what we are here for.

boz

Hi I've just looked at the pitch setup, could someone put up a few pics to show me how to use the pitch gauge, I've got one but because my trex was used I have not used it, thanks in advance ,boz

Tony

Staff member
What kind of pitch gauge do you have? Manual or Digital? And is it a flybar helicopter or flybarless?

boz

hi tony its a manual one but i dont know one end from the other, im trying to put some pics up can i load them from a link in this site, regards boz

Top Bottom