450 receiver

jake276

no worries no offence was taken i totally understand where you were coming from cause i could totally see people doing that and, that could also be my problem, does the 3gx need to be powered by the heli to use with the usb? i plugged it in at one point but i don't think it ever really connected and what version of the 3GX should i use? because i really wanna get this heli airborne tomorrow if i can but it did turn really windy today so i had a hour at best to fly today =/

trainrider06

Ohhh I was talking about the Castle ESC, sorry for the confusion....I have a Castle in my 500, and a USB adaptor I downloaded the program from Castlelink, and programmed my ESC....
Oh you know if your wires are crossed from the motor to ESC that may cause it not to power up also....
That happened to me on a 450 one time...

- - - Updated - - -

I don't think the 3gx needs to be powered up for updating it, but probably does for settings and such...
Sorry, I am in the middle of a brake job here...:(

jake276

its all good and just to confirm cause i am not totally familiar with all the acronyms ESC is the 3GX right? or is it the receiver? because i believe if i am not mistaken i have the motor wire going to the 3GX first and then a power wire goes to my receiver witch has all the other thin wires that are the signal ones unless i am totally screwing up the wiring still xD and i wired it wrong

murankar

Staff member
Dont worry about the wires yet from the motor to esc. At this point it does not matter at all. What does matter is getting the end points in the TX low and High enough to get the ESC to calibrate. I would try and set your end points to around 125 on both top and bottom and try again. If that does not work then set the endpoints to 100 100, start the calibration and while at high stick slowly move the roller on the tx to increase the end point until you get a series of beeps. Then once that is done then go to low stick and do the same thing until you get the series of beeps. The TX will max out at 150, if you still don't get it to work then I would check out the esc programming. You should have gotten a $25 castle gift card in your esc package, use that to buy the Castle link. You should break even at castles web site and get free shipping. You really need to have that card. If you lost the gift card then spend the 25 for it. YOU REALLY SHOULD USE THAT instead of the radio. You can program a lot more with it. First off you want it set to heli with soft start enabled, you may want to set up the internal bec if your using it, make sure you are push the right voltage for your system. There is plenty more to adjust but for now that should be it.

If you get the esc calibrated then you can worry about the wires to the motor. If you have a pinion gear on main gear setup then you want the motor to spin counter clockwise. If its not then swap any 2 wires and that will solve that issue or you can reverse the motor in the ESC with the program card. If you have a belt driving the main gear from the motor then you want the motor spinning clockwise. If its not then use one of the same two methods for reversing the motor.

- - - Updated - - -

last thing make sure throttle hold is off.

jake276

ok and i don't have a castle ESC its an align one, but i feel that your method will still work for it with the Tx so set my throttle to 125 in the Tx and by beeps it should beep once and then pause and then beep twice? and then go to low stick and repeat that process? and i hope the wires were done right because all 3 are color coded xD

trainrider06

so i have tried all those suggestions and still nothing :'(

Sorry your having such a time with it...I do not know where I got you had a Castle ESC...duhh sorry....Ok like I said I am no 3GX guy...so I have not much a clue if the wires are any different and where they plug in at...but for most heli's its about the same.
As to whats what, the receiver/FBL (flybarless controller) is the 3GX. The ESC is pretty much the motor controller.
Your motor plugs into the ESC, then Now it may be different on the 3GX, the black plug with the red black, and either orange or yellow wires from the ESC plugs or should plug somewhere into the 3GX, usually on other controllers its someting like Battery or BATT on the receiver, on my BeastX it plugs into THRO or Throttle marked on the Beast X....again this is your wire (looks the same as the wires on your servo's by the way) coming from your ESC....I'll pull up an Align 450 manual to see what it shows for the wire management maybe I can be a better help to ya....

- - - Updated - - -

Ok yours should also say THR this is where the wire comming from the ESC (the long flat looking thing with 3 wires coming out one side and the 1 servo wire looking wire coming out the other side...this wire you should have plugged into your 3GX unit..

jake276

that was actually my problem i literally just scared the living :):):):) out of myself and it spun up and was watching youtube videos and some said to reverse my thro yeah.... lets just say my hand dropped the Tx one hand was holding the heli down while i was trying to unplug the battery.... cause it was going to take off, thank god i had the main blades not on it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- - - Updated - - -

but it works xD

trainrider06

What was the problem?? Wire in wrong place?? Or Throttle not calibrated? Glad ya got it though....:)
LOL you shoulda hit throttle hold! :wink:

jake276

haha i should of but it scared the :):):):) out of me lol and yeah, the thro wire on the 3gx and the wire that communicates with the receiver were switched and i switched them and it worked out for me, go figure it was a wiring problem was totally over thinking everything but yeah. definitely a future reminder for myself wiring is key haha. and thank you for all the help you gave me was really appreciated and i calibrated after i got it all back together, hopefully its nice out tomorrow and i can go fly it before my Tx runs out of battery from all the troubleshooting and setting everything up :)

murankar

Staff member
Congrats of finding the issues. Yeah the throttle wire has to be in the throttle port.

I thought you were on a castle ESC. When start to look at an upgrade Castle is the way to go unless you can afford a Kontronic Kobi. When you do make that upgrade do some research first. There are many to choose from but in the 450/360 class the ESCs are fairly close in price maybe a +/- $20 difference.

Enough with the rambling go get setup and fly.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Forum Runner

jake276

yeah the train goes pretty fast and super easy to get on and unfortantly its really windy out today....all i can do is just double check everything to make sure it works and hopefully i can take it out soon, and if tony is looking in this thread i will try and get a video but no guarantees maybe a picture of it in the air lol all i have is my phone xD

Tony

Staff member
I'm always looking :chuckles:

And you can prop your phone up on something to watch teh helicopter.

leedude1

Hey Jake,

So what is your "plug in connection" error as you are running exactly the same set up I will be using (when i get there :lol: )...DX6 with the included Ar610 on a my first build (Trex 450l). was pitch and gain as mentioned earlier and you just simply miss connected your throttle?

leedude1

Actually gentlemen (Tony), I do have question, tony I was watching the 3gx set up vids you posted and noticed that I can as well have a SAT rx plugged into the 3gx.

So if I use my DX6 I understand that with less than 7 channels I will need the AR610 (or another) and still plug in all the connections, or can some be skipped\handled by a SAT rx as I noticed you had SAT rx plugged in in addition to the spectrum receiver. Was there a reason for the both being there? Advantage or requirement?

Tony

Staff member
If both were there, then that was my mistake and here is why.

When you run a satellite only, your governor gain is on channel 5 and your gyro gain (what everyone uses) is on channel 7. So if you are only using a satellite Rx with a 6ch Tx, you will not have the ability to adjust your tail gyro gain.

However if you run a separate rx with a 6ch Tx, your gyro gain will be on channel 5 and your governor will be on 7.

I have no idea why align put the gyro on 7 when using only a satellite. I think it's a rip for those that are using a 6ch Tx. I feel it's a simple mapping issue to resolve this problem, but they have yet to do it, and now the 3GX is dead and they have moved onto the GPro.

So in short (better late than never lol), with a 6ch tx, you will need to run a separate rx.

jake276

Hey Jake,

So what is your "plug in connection" error as you are running exactly the same set up I will be using (when i get there :lol: )...DX6 with the included Ar610 on a my first build (Trex 450l). was pitch and gain as mentioned earlier and you just simply miss connected your throttle?

yeah i had a few problems where wiring was just an issue, i followed tony's videos on setting up the 3gx but he doesn't do the binding part in them and you have to follow the biding stuff first and then plug everything in it was definitely not straight forward for the first time doing it haha but yeah i just had my ESC wire going to the wrong spot and had the wire that goes to my AR610 in the thro spot on the 3gx which needs to be in the aux out or batt is what it says i believe

- - - Updated - - -

oh and a side not don't do what i did and put your 3gx on the bottom put it behind the swash plate because you will be plugging and unplugging and stuff from the 3gx way more often then the receiver and i have to take my plate that hold the skids on. and take it off anytime i want to plug something in or switch things around, and i would highly recommend going with the extreme settings that tony suggest for the 3gx on the flight mode set up because as someone has mentioned this is a really powerful heli for beginners it scared me when it went full throttle and i panicked. cause i wasn't expecting it.

also i side note i have a question when i was going over everything i noticed that my rudder no longer adjusts for when the tail moves in certain directions, i re did the rudder set up and it worked fine while i was setting it up but when i came out of the set up it just stopped working, and am not sure why :'( because i know it will just spin in the air if i don't fix this :'(

leedude1

Got it, 6 ch tx = AR610 alone, with no need for the SAT. thanks... anyway as I mentioned, Im new to the build side of things enjoying the process so far and Im researching the next steps before I get there ... hopefully avoid chopping off a few fingers as well. LOL

jake276

going to re ask this question "i have a question when i was going over everything i noticed that my rudder no longer adjusts for when the tail moves in certain directions, i re did the rudder set up and it worked fine while i was setting it up but when i came out of the set up it just stopped working, and am not sure why :'( because i know it will just spin in the air if i don't fix this :'("

Top Bottom