Quad RCX250 Mini quad Build thread

Lee

Ok all finished :D
If I can give anyone some advice with building these mini quads, it would be to use a Power distribution board.
The air was think with bad language today, trying to solder all the wires together.
So much easier with a PDB, but I got it done eventually :D

I replaced all the ESC wires with longer ones to make bundling the wire together more easy.
Then instead of Heat shrink tubing, I use balloons to cover the ESC :D

000_0007.JPG

000_0001%2B2.JPG

B6rENtz8Y5AhqrEhRMLYPW_5eo2W7r1eke4NZVbuEgc=w366-h206-p-no

Wiring is a bit messy at the moment. I will tidy it up once I know everything is working properly.
Gopro with FPV cable connected
000_0011.JPG

Rear has blue LEDs Looks like a space craft when flying away from me.
000_0014.JPG

All setup and ready. I did take it for a test flight tonight, but it was pitch black, so the video is useless.
With the Open Pilot CC3D set up with some settings I found on Luminiers website for the QAV250, it flies pretty good.
Tomorrow the wind is back, so might not get a chance to fly until Sunday.
Heading to Portugal for a weeks holiday. It will be in my suitcase thats for sure.
With the 1500Mah 35C Zippy compact, I got 7mins on the test flight. Still had 3.74V per cell :D

000_0015.JPG

Stambo

looking forward to some vids Lee.
I am using 1800 25c Zippy compacts and getting about 8 minutes, I also get about 7 on the 1500s.
I think I may go for 35c next lot I get as there is very little difference in weight.
Once you start throwing these things around at ground level and through trees, 8 minutes of intense concentration is plenty. :)
5 batteries is just not enough though. :)

Last edited:

Lee

Ok had a test flight today in the trees, as it was blowing a gale.
Did a few flips and rolls. Hit a few trees LOL :D

One thing I will advise.
The motors come with CW prop adaptors. If you hit something with two of the props, they will unscrew and fly off.
Ask me how i know. :D
You can ask for CCW adaptors to be added for I think $1.50 each.
I only found these in the shop, after my package was posted. :(

So now I have lost one prop nut, I have change them all for nylon lock nuts.
Not as nice looking, but more functional.

Prop nuts.jpg

These Gemfan props are very very flimsy. They will break at the slightest touch.
This may be a nice weak link to save the motors, but I think I am loosing a bunch of pop with these.
I'll order a few of the HQ props, and maybe a set of carbons to see the difference.

Prop nuts.jpg

Graham Lawrie

Let us know how you get on may need to do the same with mine if i ever get airborne :) i will thread lock mine to start with:) Mine have two holes on the cone, which i assumed was for a tool like a "C"- spanner to aid tightening?

Lee

Let us know how you get on may need to do the same with mine if i ever get airborne :) i will thread lock mine to start with:) Mine have two holes on the cone, which i assumed was for a tool like a "C"- spanner to aid tightening?

Yep thats what the hole is for. I actually snapped an allen key while tightening one of mine.
Having counter tightening threads works really well. The two motors on mine with threads opposite to the spin where very tight to undo after my crashes.
I'm off out to fly it now :)

Stambo

My earlier RCX motors came left and RH threaded.
I am using HQ props and they are definitely stiffer than the Gemfan ones.

Lee

Yeh the earlier ones had fixed prop shafts. The new ones are bolt on, and come out of the box with CW threads.
There is a note on the website advising to buy the CCW adaptors for two of the motors, but i missed that.
Seems silly. I bought a 4 motor pack. Why not supply them in the first place.

Lee

Heres the first flight. I had to do it in a gap in the trees, because it was blowing 30mph out in the open.
Have your sick bags at the ready, its a rough ride :D

I have been playing with my Open Pilot CC3D. They have some new functions in the software.

The first is called Rattitude. It's a combination of Rate mode (manual) and Attitude mode (stabilized)
Gives you the ability to throw the quad around, do flips and rolls, but when you release the stick, it goes back to level.

The second is called Cruise Control. When pitching into forward flight, the controller adds throttle to stop the quad from falling, so it maintains its height.
The settings I have put in to start, are pretty close to perfect. Just a small amount of tuning needed.

There is also a new Gain calculator called OP Tune. The instructions are in the website.
Basically, they get you to dial in a set of gain values, fly the quad, and raise the P gain for Pitch, then roll, until you get the quad oscillating.
Put these gain values into the calculator, and it spits out the exact gains values for P, I and D gains for your specific set up.

Last edited by a moderator:

DavidDutch

Ok had a test flight today in the trees, as it was blowing a gale.
Did a few flips and rolls. Hit a few trees LOL :D

One thing I will advise.
The motors come with CW prop adaptors. If you hit something with two of the props, they will unscrew and fly off.
Ask me how i know. :D
You can ask for CCW adaptors to be added for I think $1.50 each.
I only found these in the shop, after my package was posted. :(

I only just saw this , but today they have changed the description in the product, (after being called cheater, asked not to order again, beiding rude to and asked to refuse the shipment after I asked about ccw prop adapters in this package):wink:

EyeStation

Lee, great flight. I was happy to see this was not a FPV flight. From the start I thought it was.
I was thinking "I'm gonna puke when I try this!" lol.

Lee
I noticed on your 250 that you mounted the LEDs in a fashion that I am actually considering.
Looking at it in the pics it seems you have just stuck the LED strip to the carbon fiber
edges of the 2 plates, is that correct? Does it stick well?

Lee

No it didn't stick well. I had to remove them and now they are stuck to a cover.

Heres the first flight. I had to do it in a gap in the trees, because it was blowing 30mph out in the open.
Have your sick bags at the ready, its a rough ride :D

I have been playing with my Open Pilot CC3D. They have some new functions in the software.

The first is called Rattitude. It's a combination of Rate mode (manual) and Attitude mode (stabilized)
Gives you the ability to throw the quad around, do flips and rolls, but when you release the stick, it goes back to level.

The second is called Cruise Control. When pitching into forward flight, the controller adds throttle to stop the quad from falling, so it maintains its height.
The settings I have put in to start, are pretty close to perfect. Just a small amount of tuning needed.

There is also a new Gain calculator called OP Tune. The instructions are in the website.
Basically, they get you to dial in a set of gain values, fly the quad, and raise the P gain for Pitch, then roll, until you get the quad oscillating.
Put these gain values into the calculator, and it spits out the exact gains values for P, I and D gains for your specific set up.

BTW is that your back yard :)
Very nice scenery

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom