Quad Quad copter build

Lee

Well i took it for it's first flight today.
Was a tad windy, but my only window in between the howling gales.
Got some tuning to do to get rid of a little wag, but very pleased with the open pilot board out of the box performance.
Just used my keychain cam, so quality is not great. I did put it on the Quad. No vibration at all, but the wag made it unwatchable, so left it out till i sort the stability.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tony

Staff member
That looked really good Lee. And I saw the wag you are talking about. Dial that sucker down and get some onboard lol.

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
I love that copter Lee! Get her dialed in and she should get some assume videos! Get some plans drown up and send them to me. I'll build one too over winter! He'll this might be your million dollar machine!

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
I did not see any gyros in this build. Is that what the open pilot is taking the place of? Other than that seems pretty simple enough. What do you have into it if you don't mind me asking? I can start getting togather the parts has soon has I get working on the f7f. I should have everything for that project now. I'm going to start to work on it tomorrow.

Lee

The OP board has 3 axis gyros and 3 axis accelerometers. Most other boards only come with gyros unless you pay big bucks or add them yourself.
Well first off, if you want to use the Open Pilot board, order it now. They are in very short supply and there is a waiting list. I ordered mine a month before i knew what i wanted to do with it. They are about $100 and as far as i can tell, they are the best supported platform out there. Very easy to set up with the GCS on your computer you can do everything.
The rest cost me more than it should, cause i didn't want to wait for parts from HK. So about another $180 from LHS, but could have been much less.
Frame was super easy to build. All it is, is a cross with motors on the end.

Lee

Have you been to the Open Pilot web page yet? You need to do some reading about the project. They have videos about what it does, how to use it, Where the ditributers are. There is only one distributor per continent.
100's of quad frames Tri frames, hex and Octo as well.
It all started as a project between some friends. But as it became obvious that it was a great piece of kit, everybody wanted one. Its still produced by the guys that started it. They don't make a profit on it and they don't want to. Anybody can write programs for it to improve the software and upload it to the website for others to test and approve.
Take a look Sam :D

Lee

Damn, Well i know where they are. They are all in Australia on a table having the servo plugs soldered to them by one guy(saw the pic). There is 1000 of them and he doesn't get paid for it :D

Paulster2

I am El Taco!
Very nice flip into the sand there buddy! :biggrin1: J/K! Looked great Lee. Looks very stable, with or without the slight wag.

Lee

The wag i discovered today only happens when it compensates for a big gust. So i just need to dial it down a bit for gusty conditions.

wolfman76

hey lee that is cool man you would'nt happen to have plans for that would you i would love to try to build 1 of my own you know dimensions and what not or do you know where you can find plans for 1???

hey also check this video i found out 1 of the nicest quad copter vids i have seen very nicenevermind i answered my own question on the planns by reading other pages to the thread duh!!!

here is a very nice quad copter and the price really is not that bad either even has led orientation lights that come with it...
http://www.multiwiicopter.com/produ...rmour-v2-2-arf-electronica-version-quadcopter

Last edited by a moderator:

Paulster2

I am El Taco!
You're right, Wolfman, that was a great video. Very well put together. The views were great, as well as the transitions, with very fitting music.

wolfman76

hey Lee i looked on the openpilot link for the build you gave but unless i was over looking it where do you purchase the actual control part or brain i guess you could say???? and do you have to join to order from it??

Top Bottom