Trucks Probably the most basic thing ever,why is my car sluggish

mrjordan

Hey,so my car is accelerating slower than before, my car runs sluggish,as in ill pull the throttle,it'll start to rev up and accelerate at a slower speed than usual,any ideas on what to do?

Tony

Staff member
do you know what the temp of the engine is? Anything below 190ºF, or about 95ºc will make it do this. Also, anything above 240ºF or something around 110ºc will also do this as it's starving for fuel. If you don't have one, I would highly suggest you get one.

However, you can try to adjust the high speed needle one hour at a time, starting out by going rich. There should be quite a bit of smoke coming out of the exhaust. If there is no smoke, then it's too lean.

mrjordan

do you know what the temp of the engine is? Anything below 190ºF, or about 95ºc will make it do this. Also, anything above 240ºF or something around 110ºc will also do this as it's starving for fuel. If you don't have one, I would highly suggest you get one.

However, you can try to adjust the high speed needle one hour at a time, starting out by going rich. There should be quite a bit of smoke coming out of the exhaust. If there is no smoke, then it's too lean.

I got it back from repair and the guy said its running on Rich atm so turn it clockwise one hour at a time?

Tony

Staff member
As long as there is still smoke coming out of the exhaust, you can go lean one hour at a time (CW) and try it. Remember though, you can over do it and fry the piston. I have went so far as to burn a hole in the piston during a race that I "needed" to win, so I leaned the hell out of it lol. Just be careful.

mrjordan

As long as there is still smoke coming out of the exhaust, you can go lean one hour at a time (CW) and try it. Remember though, you can over do it and fry the piston. I have went so far as to burn a hole in the piston during a race that I "needed" to win, so I leaned the hell out of it lol. Just be careful.

Aha :):):):) man,yh ill be careful,dont really want it breaking after 2 days coming back from repair haha,it runs like a beast tho,had a tiny crash and the wheel came of but thats a bolt issue which i can easily sort,need a new engine head but other than that its pretty good and fast on and of road aswell,Thanks for the help mate,will post a video tomorrow probably showing it running as it truly is a beast

Tony

Staff member
Yeah bro, post it up. Love seeing people having fun with these things. Oh, and if you can post a video BEFORE adjusting, that will get me a pretty good idea of what way you need to go. I warn you though, it may be a while before I reply. Have to work tomorrow.

mrjordan

Yeah bro, post it up. Love seeing people having fun with these things. Oh, and if you can post a video BEFORE adjusting, that will get me a pretty good idea of what way you need to go. I warn you though, it may be a while before I reply. Have to work tomorrow.

Thats cool bro,christmas eve aswell lol so id expect it'd be busy,video probably wont be up until late day and im in the uk anyway so probably wont be up until about 7-8 GMT +0 time,and ill start it without doing any adjustments then with adjustments and youll see the difference,or maybe ill leave the adjustments i dont know lol,ill decide tomorrow as its currently 1:45 in the morning for me

Tony

Staff member
Right on, I will be looking forward to it. Getting kind of stoked into getting into this hobby again myself. Gotta love work and family life.

mrjordan

Right on, I will be looking forward to it. Getting kind of stoked into getting into this hobby again myself. Gotta love work and family life.

Yh man it truly is fun and enjoying,you should get back into it mate,you can get some insane bargains on ebay and such,i got my hobao hyper 9 for £120 with 3 chargers and 4 spare wheels for dirt, then payed for repairs so all in all about £200, saving £200 tho aswell its quite a good bargain expecially for christmas

Tony

Staff member
I know where there is a T-Maxx for sale. Just need to talk the guy down on the price lmao. And "the guy" will be in here soon, I'm sure lmao. I already have the Tx for it too. Running the DX3R, same as I ran on my losi truck. But, I'm more into helicopters and planes than ground pounders now. I know, need to get back to what got me into this hobby. Working on it lol.

mrjordan

I know where there is a T-Maxx for sale. Just need to talk the guy down on the price lmao. And "the guy" will be in here soon, I'm sure lmao. I already have the Tx for it too. Running the DX3R, same as I ran on my losi truck. But, I'm more into helicopters and planes than ground pounders now. I know, need to get back to what got me into this hobby. Working on it lol.

Last edited by a moderator:

mrjordan

Had alot of issues today, first the steering went,need some threadlock, so kinda sorted that, then the front left wheel axle came loose so i had to undo that,put back in place then tighten it, then the glowplug blew on me,lucky i had a spare lying around, so all in all a good session today

Tony

Staff member
It sounds like the bottom end is lean and the top end is rich. I would go CCW on the bottom needle about 2 hours, and go CW on the top needle 2 hours and give it a shot. The idle seems high to me for a .21.

I say this because it seems to want to jump off the line like a bat out of hell, then loads up. The top needle setting that you have now is exactly what you want when breaking in a new engine, or piston and sleeve. But, for max fun, lean it out. You will hear it "get up on the pipe" and just start singing to you at WOT. It's a beautiful sound.

Keep posting the videos. Can't believe you did this in the middle of London hahaha. That's great.

mrjordan

It sounds like the bottom end is lean and the top end is rich. I would go CCW on the bottom needle about 2 hours, and go CW on the top needle 2 hours and give it a shot. The idle seems high to me for a .21.

I say this because it seems to want to jump off the line like a bat out of hell, then loads up. The top needle setting that you have now is exactly what you want when breaking in a new engine, or piston and sleeve. But, for max fun, lean it out. You will hear it "get up on the pipe" and just start singing to you at WOT. It's a beautiful sound.

Keep posting the videos. Can't believe you did this in the middle of London hahaha. That's great.

Aha lol no one seems to tell me i cant do it,so i do it lol,and ive leaned out the fuelmixture/air needle by 3 hours and thats made a definate improvement to the speed of it,then i can adjust the bottom needle via my TX so its all working fine now,a bit sluggish for the first 30 seconds or so but when its heated up,it goes strait away so all in all pretty good,i think boxing day ill take it over to my local park,they have dirt jumps and stuff so i can try there,also, you know the servo screw,the one that screws in the side of the servo,that controls the turning of the wheels,can i put threadlock on that,as that screw seems to loosen every 5-10 mins due the vibrations and i think the threadlock has dried up on it

- - - Updated - - -

Also,the bottom needle,is that the one that on this image,is on the far left bottom,the one that says low end needle,is that the bottom needle you said? and the needle i leaned out 3 hours is the gold one that is labeled the master needle
n8pCHyh.png

n8pCHyh.png

Tony

Staff member
If your servo has a metal gear (and being an 1/8th scale, I would hope so) then yes, you can use thread lock on it. But, if it's plastic gear, don't do it, it will melt the plastic.

And yes, that lower left picture is the low end needle and the top left is the top end needle. The top right, they are not kidding, don't ever turn that one if you have a 3 needle setup. And the lower right is your throttle adjustment. The carb should have an opening of 1mm or so at an idle while looking down the bore.

mrjordan

If your servo has a metal gear (and being an 1/8th scale, I would hope so) then yes, you can use thread lock on it. But, if it's plastic gear, don't do it, it will melt the plastic.

And yes, that lower left picture is the low end needle and the top left is the top end needle. The top right, they are not kidding, don't ever turn that one if you have a 3 needle setup. And the lower right is your throttle adjustment. The carb should have an opening of 1mm or so at an idle while looking down the bore.

I havent a clue lol,ill grab some pictures of it of,including the carb opening and see what you think,gimme a few minutes

mrjordan

Here are the pics,not sure if their right but yh lol
http://imgur.com/gFhLNSj,tHooXVb,3I4FuY2,vvtGQql,INDy5ug,EJI88SP,wVzohIR

Tony

Staff member
HS645MG, that is your servo number. The last two letters stand for Metal Gear, so yes, that is one you can, and should use thread lock on.

Picture 4 and 5 show no back pressure hose on teh muffler. This MUST be run at all times to pressurize the tank. If that comes off, or if the exhaust comes loose, you will go lean really bad.

mrjordan

HS645MG, that is your servo number. The last two letters stand for Metal Gear, so yes, that is one you can, and should use thread lock on.

Picture 4 and 5 show no back pressure hose on teh muffler. This MUST be run at all times to pressurize the tank. If that comes off, or if the exhaust comes loose, you will go lean really bad.

Yh i took the cable of for the image lol,i know it must be on the whole time,and so in picture 1,the screw underneath the F, could i put threadlock on that screw,considering its turning all the time when you turn left and right?

Tony

Staff member
Yup, not a problem with putting thread lock on that screw. I would also find a small washer to put on there as well.

Top Bottom