1. If you would like to get rid of these banners and the ads within the posts, all you have to do is sign up and they will go away!
  2. Welcome to Rc-Help, are you here looking for the PDF Plans? They are located in the store in the tab above, but you must be signed in to access that part of the site. It only takes a second to sign up!
  3. Like Us On Facebook!
    Hello Guest, it occurred to us during that last server failure that we had no way of informing the members of the site of the failure and I would like to invite you to like us on facebook so that you can get updates if the site happens to go down again. We don't post much over there unless we are updating the members so we will not flood your feed like some places do. Just click on Like and then allow notifications and that's it. See you there soon!

Click Here To Rc-Help's Facebook page!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hey Guest, I see you are not signed up on our forum yet. Did you know Registration is FREE and is only a couple clicks away? You can even sign in from Facebook, Twitter or Google+ for your convenience! So what are you waiting for, CLICK HERE to join in on the conversation!

Post Your Thoughts On The New Website

Discussion in 'News & Announcements' started by Tony, Feb 5, 2017.

< Banggood Ad On Main Forum Page | Site Went Down, Again, Sorry About That >
  1. rdsok

rdsok Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    I just saw a problem with your adblocker detection...

I do have AdBlock Plus installed on my Chrome Browser... but I have ad blocking on RC Help disabled... Today, I started getting the popup notice asking me to disable my adblocker software despite my having RC Help whitelisted. Since this just started happening today and since you've been running the new forum software for a bit, I assume something changed recently causing this behavior

2. Tony

Tony Administrator Staff Member

Blog Posts:
    Nothing should have changed. I know I have not done anything with the detector since I installed it. I as well have the same adblock installed on chrome and I'm not seeing any kind of issue (hence why I made it bright pink lmao). I will keep my eyes open. Is this happening constantly?

rdsok likes this.
  3. rdsok

rdsok Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    FYI.... Just returned in case you needed more info... the issue isn't happening this time. I left and came back in about 3 times and nothing...

4. rdsok

rdsok Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    This evening was the first time it happened.... and just like now, I left and came back several times. Since I also usually start on the New Posts page, I also tried just going to the forum home page ( when it was happening ) and it did it there also.... now nothing, perhaps it was just a hiccup on the forum or my browser ...

I'll keep an eye out also

5. Tony

Blog Posts:
    Keep me posted and I will also keep an eye out for it.

6. rdsok

rdsok Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    It came back... and it's not pink now, this time around... it was previously

AdBlock.jpg

7. Tony

Blog Posts:
    I have to ask, you are sure your sign in the top right is green? And that is the one that I'm trying to get rid of. But that thing is buried into a crapton of code and I'm having a hard time finding it.

8. rdsok

rdsok Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    And to confuse things more... this test I get this one... I'll answer your question in a moment, we've got different adblockers apparently AdBlock.jpg

9. rdsok

rdsok Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    Ok... I've got ...

Adblock Plus

The toolbar icon is a small stop sign, it's red if enabled and grayed out if it isn't .... here is a screen shot of some of the toolbar options ( there are more options in the extensions area. I like this one because it also has some malware website blocking that I can enable and several other options ...

AdBlockImg.jpg

10. Tony

Blog Posts:
    Ah, I'm running AdBlock 3.8.6 and I'm not getting that. I just turned on my auto refresh and set it to ever .5 seconds and it never came up for me. I wonder if anyone else is having this issue...

11. rdsok

rdsok Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    A couple of thoughts....

The majority of the time, I come to RC Help from another website and usually I do have the adblocker enabled on those sites. Perhaps it takes a moment for the adblocker to recognize and then disable. It didn't happen on any of my tests when I came from another site that was also whitelisted.

I've also been closing, opening a blocked site and then coming to RCH to test recently.... it happened more often than not but it wasn't consistent. Currently, it hasn't been happening again.

While I've posted two versions of the notice.... there were two others I've seen also... like there are more than one way it notifies you or prehaps several adblock detectors ????

12. rdsok

rdsok Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    I switched to the one you have installed ( it's by a different company/author ) .... and I'll try it for a while. If something new happens, I'll post up on it.

13. Tony

Blog Posts:
    The option I use on this one is Do not run on pages on this domain. I want to remove the thing but every how and then you get to a site that has 500 ads on a single page and you can't find any of the info you are looking for.

Then there are the sites that if you have an ad blocker (again, the sites with massive amounts of ads) and you turn it on, they lock you out of the pages. I will never be that site. Slightly annoying with pink banners is fine, but locking someone out of the forum because they dont' want to see ads is just not okay with me.

14. rdsok

rdsok Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    I'm laying odds that the adblocker I was using ( and still haven't ruled out until I test this other one more ) was just being slow to disable, it makes sense... but it's just a guess still.

I have no problems with ads per se.... just the ones like you mentioned which over use them and have more ads than content

The size of the first one I saw here tonight... would have likely been overlooked had it been anything other than pink... lmao

15. Tony

Blog Posts:
    I could do a 0,255,0 RGB :biggrin1:

rdsok likes this.
  16. Tony

Blog Posts:
    So I took a chance and purchased another article management software from another vendor. This one is more simplistic in every way and thought maybe simple would be better. So I downloaded it and installed it. The install went fine and the product seems to be okay for what we need.

First thing I do is create an article in the new system, and it works. Even a place to upload an article image for a thumbnail. So I decide to try the Promote To Article feature which is what this site MUST have. I select a thread, click promote to article, a popup comes up, I select a category, click submit, the page refreshes and that's it. No article. I check on the history of the thread and it clearly tried to create an article since it says "Promoted to article on this date", but there is no article.

Since I can't just wait for a company to get off their butt to fix what is a huge bug with their software, I tell them to just return my money and I will move on. I get a reply this morning that they will not return my money and that the software is what it is. Fine, this one was cheap and I will not be ordering anything else from them.

I just can't seem to catch a damn break on this article management crap. I have tried for the last 3-4 days to get something on this site and everything has bitten me in the ass. There has to come a time when I just have to accept the fact that this site may never have an article section again... Then there is the other side of me (the OCD side) that has to have it because that is where the most important static content is kept. Damn you OCD!!!

17. rdsok

rdsok Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    Tony, for what it's worth, since I switched to the other adblocker you were using, I haven't seen the adblocker detected popup...

An upside, it also seems to load websites a bit faster... On the downside, the settings ( which sites are blocked etc ) aren't synced between my computers and I have to make those changes on each system.

18. Tony

Blog Posts:
    Found a little issue when you mouse over your name in the drop down box. It was only showing a single row which I just flat don't like. It's supposed to be two rows. So had to do a little coding to get it fixed and now the dual rows are back. below are pictures of the before and after.

Before, very long
    zuser3.png

After, nice and purdy!
    zuser4.png

It's a small detail but it makes a huge difference to me lol. Just thought I would update you all.

Dennis H likes this.
  19. Dennis H

Dennis H Member

Blog Posts:
    Tony, this is the only policy to have, "0" tolerance. And let it be clearly known. I have seen post where the site let the post stand, and membership started slowly going down. Keep it clean, professional, and on subject, the site will be a winner.

JMO, Dennis

20. Tony

Blog Posts:
    This is the way I'm doing it on the chat, here on the forum i have a little more control than I do over there. I can setup a lot of different filters here on teh site, and unfortunately a lot of good filters on youtube are still in the Alpha stage and being tested. Unfortunately I was not one of the ones selected to test them because I would have been glad to. We will get there, it's just taking time. But I do know what you mean. I try to keep a clean forum and thanks to the awesome members on here, I think we have done a hell of a job doing just that.

Dennis H likes this.
< Banggood Ad On Main Forum Page | Site Went Down, Again, Sorry About That >