Post Your Thoughts On The New Website

Tony

Staff member
What's up Rodney, I was about to send you an email and find out what you had been up to lol. Thanks for the kind words, it's still a work in progress, but it's getting there.

Tony

Staff member
No worries, so have I lol. Then yesterday, if it could happen, it did. The people working in my back yard hit a water main, then I almost cut the end of my finger completely off. Never should have gotten out of bed yesterday lol.

holtneil

OMG are you ok Tony its the month for it ,I had a fight with a big steel roll on bin off my truck so have a cut on my head and a hole in my eye lid ( no stitches this time lol)

Tony

Staff member
Ah yea, I'm fine. It's going to take more than being sick and almost appendage amputation to slow me down lmao. Typing is a royal pain right now though lol. Man my finger hurts...

holtneil

Tony that reminds me about the man goes to the doctors and said if I press here it hurts ( pressing on his arm) and if I press here it hurts ( pressing on another part of his body) and if I press here it hurts too Whats wrong with me Doc ? your finger is broken lol

Tony

Staff member
Take it easy bro, thanks for posting your thoughts on here. And hope your eye gets better!

sneezy007

Hey ya all! The new site really looks great from what I've investigated! Great job Tony! It's really got pop! Haven't been on much lately, have kinda lost a bit of enthusiasm for my birds with the weather being so windy and being sick for the last almost month solid! Thank goodness for a Union job and sick time in the bank! I'd been sunk

Hey Rodney, sorry to hear you've been sick. Hope you get better soon.

Tony

Staff member
If anyone tries to email me on my tony@rc-help.com email address, I will not get it. Thanks to a test site that I was testing and forgot about, spammers got ahold of my email address and I'm receiving about 400 emails a day on there. So, I deleted that email account to keep it from hording spam. Not many people email me on that address, but if you do, just know it's no longer active.

RandyDSok

If anyone tries to email me on my tony@rc-help.com email address, I will not get it. Thanks to a test site that I was testing and forgot about, spammers got ahold of my email address and I'm receiving about 400 emails a day on there. So, I deleted that email account to keep it from hording spam. Not many people email me on that address, but if you do, just know it's no longer active.

So send all spam to your other account... got ya.. :D

Tony

Staff member
Screw that. I hate spammers! And when I have to close an account because of them, I get a little pissed off lmao. :cussing:

trainrider06

Take it easy bro, thanks for posting your thoughts on here. And hope your eye gets better!
oh I am much better thanks Tony, Some bug got me for 2 weeks, and just when I thought I was in the clear, get the dang Flu for a week! Am much better now!

Tony

Staff member
Hey everyone, I just want to post up and let you all know, I'm working on a brand new articles section and when I get it close to done, I will take it live so that everyone can check it out.

I am trying to make it a lot like what we had on the old forum that way there is less of a learning curve. But let me tell you now, this new system is MUCH MORE than the last one was. There are some features on this new system that was never even thought about on the old one. And I'm sure you are going to really like what is coming soon.

I know I am very excited about this new articles section. Once it is set up, it is so easy to use and works so well that I'm going to want to post in there all the time!!! lol. So that means many more articles, reviews and so on on the site. This is just an awesome piece of software for the site. It is going to take me a while to get it all setup and get all of the old articles moved into it, but it is all going to be worth it!

You may have also noticed that the Articles tab has been removed from the navbar. I did this so that no one posts in there or edits the articles before I can get them in the new sections. Once they are all moved the article tab will be back and I think you are going to love what you see! I will be doing some videos on how to use the new system for each permission set here on the forum. And let me tell you, there are going to be a lot of options with this new section!

Just wanted to update you all on what is going on.

Tony

Staff member
Dude, this AMS is absolutely amazing in what it can do. I know you guys are going to love this thing when I get it done! Haven't been this excited about an add-on ever in the years I have been running sites. This thing has more options that I could ever possibly use!

Tony

Staff member
The excitement just got shot down. I have been asking the author of this add on some questions all day and the dude just flat went off on me. For asking a question about HIS add on. Guess we are not getting an article section after all because I will not support an asshat like that.

sneezy007

The excitement just got shot down. I have been asking the author of this add on some questions all day and the dude just flat went off on me. For asking a question about HIS add on. Guess we are not getting an article section after all because I will not support an asshat like that.

Sorry to hear that Tony, are you doing to find someone to do the work.

I want to thank you for the amazing job you're doing with this website. It's a ton of work buddy and we all really appreciate all the time and effort you put into this.

Cheers :arms:

Tony

Staff member
Just to keep you all updated on what is going on, today was an "insult to injury" kind of day.

Last night, after over 8 straight hours of working on the new article system, the developer of the software went completely sideways on me. And when someone gets sideways, I get sideways right back. Let's just say, this didn't end very well. But, I thought what the hell, I will keep pressing on. So lets get down to the issues as of right now. Oh, and remember 'why' I created this site? So that people that are completely new to the hobby can ask questions without being called every name under the sun? Just an FYI, that is what happened to me last night when I was asking HIM questions about HIS software. THAT is what set him off. Me asking him a simple question... It's pushing me to become a developer... But I will never be that smart unfortunately...

Anyway...

While I was setting the articles section up I noticed that every single article that I was putting in there was showing up on the index page (this is what set him off). I told him what it was doing with it posting all articles on one page regardless of settings or what category I had placed it in, it was always showing up on the main page. This is where he went sideways after 8+ hours of work. No resolution, no 'this is how you do it', nothing! Just him going off on me like I was a red headed step child.

Fine.... If that is the way you are going to be, I will just dig a little deeper into your software and figure it out for myself. Because lets face it, this site needs an article section...

So I wake up today and start doing a little more work. There is absolutely NO WAY to keep ALL of the articles from showing up on the main page. I thought it was something that I did so I decided to just delete the add on from the site but that is when I found out that it MODIFIES the original threads that were promoted to an article! It takes all of the text that was in the original thread and puts it into a quote, which was set to a default setting of 5 characters. That means if this post that you are reading right now was one of the promoted articles, the quote would contain "Ju..." and THAT'S IT!!! The 5 characters INCLUDES the 3 periods!!! And there were MULTIPLE threads like this. Oh yea, fire was coming out of my head on this one.

Thankfully I was able to go into the AMS, select ALL of the articles (since they were ALL on the SAME FRIGGIN PAGE!!!) and I was able to send them from the AMS back to a forum I created that is out of sight. And this worked, but now, we have duplicate threads... We have the modified ones in the Articles Node (the forum section with all of the old articles, over 200 of them) AND they are also in the new section I created.

I decided that maybe, just maybe "I" was the cause of all of these issues and maybe I should start over. So I went into the database tables and HOLY CRAP, there were 25 tables for AMS alone!!! I had already uninstalled it from the forum, and now, I am deleting the tables associated with it so that I can reinstall it. Tables dropped AND IT DELETES THE ORIGINAL THREADS!!!!!!!! This craptastic software actually MOVED the original threads from being associated with the forum database TO THEIR DATABASE!!! Very glad I made a backup of all of this crap!!!

Whatever, I have saved the threads from getting deleted so lets reinstall all of this to see if I did something wrong (lets face it, most of the time it's my fault, just ask my wife...). So the files are on the server, I install the .xml file and go in and set the permissions so that I could see it and edit it. Done. There was already one category on there so just to see if it would put everything BACK on the home page, I created another category and I pushed one article into each of the categories. This time though, I unchecked the box for it to modify the existing threads (this is a good and a bad thing. Good thing is it doesn't modify the original thread. Bad thing is now it's not associated with the article).

And even still with COMPLETELY DEFAULT SETTINGS, both of the articles showed up on the index page!!! He blamed this issue on ME when it was HIS coding that caused it. It was at this point that I decided to just say screw it, I reverted the articles back into threads, uninstalled it and went to the database to delete the 25 tables.... Well, I had a hard time finding the tables because there were not 25 tables, there was ONLY ONE FRIGGIN TABLE this time.

Needless to say, that software is way over complicated for what it does. It had some great options that would have done great here on the site, but everything about it is made to where you have to know a LOT about how everything works on the back end just to use it.

So now we are back to step 1, we have no article system and the forum REALLY needs one. Man I wish I could take this file and ACTUALLY BURN IT!!!! Hitting delete on this POS just isn't enough...

There you go guys, that is what I was doing ALL day yesterday as well as most of the day today. And it was all for NOTHING. Starting back at step 1 again....

Top Bottom