Piro Tuning (Spirit Pro)

Smoggie

Phil,

I was watching the game too, a disappointment but they did a lot better than England.

Anyway, the forward tilt has no adverse effect at all on takeoff or landing, i know for sure because I've got the exact same arrangement on my Trex 600. There is no downside, it even looks pretty nice with that nose down tilt, I don't know why they dont just make them like that out of the box.

The curved fin from the 550L Dominator is a straight fit but the advantages are purely aesthetic. As for DFC I'd not even think about it. Most brands have dropped DFC, even Align are phasing it out. Rigid link DFC like Align uses means you have to run rigid head damping which tends to not to be good at lower headspeed. While DFC works well enough in most circumstances overall in my opinion you are better off with the standard flybarless head. I actually converted my 600 from DFC to standard flybarless (using a Blade 600X head).

Last edited:

Heliman450

Hi Steve, sounds good to me. I'll check out availability of the parts for the landing gear in my local store and give it a try. When the time's right, looks like the DFC conversion went out of the window, thanks for that.

Right now, I want to spend more time at the field and if I video, then it's best done around 10:30 when the sun moves round and the shade is better. Ironically, since the weather improved and I've been there more often, I'm beginning to suffer with headaches :facepalm:

The Welsh football team can feel proud of what they've achieved, they deserve what will undoubtedly be a massive welcome home today. England........... I gave up trying to make any sense of the crap that surrounds the team. Too much store is put on the existence of the Premier League, which in my view doesn't give the English players enough opportunity to become good international competitors. Teams are about more than one or two stars and those guys get fed their opportunities by others, it's those guys who are the most important. I never expect anything great from them and in the intervening 50 years since 1966, I haven't been disappointed yet!

Bye for now!

Tony

Staff member
Hey Phil, take a look at the Goblin Speed. It has a slant like that when it's on the ground and it just lifts up. So i don't see it being an issue if you are worried about ground clearance.

Heliman450

Hey Phil, take a look at the Goblin Speed. It has a slant like that when it's on the ground and it just lifts up. So i don't see it being an issue if you are worried about ground clearance.

Hi Tony, I checked it out here - Modellsport.ch | SAB Goblin 700 Speed Flybarless Helicopter gelb | online kaufen (The store is just down the road from me).

It looks extreme. Of course it helps to have the input from your good self and Steve for less experienced guys like me. I'm curious how it can lift off without the pilot giving backward tilt. It looks to me as though it's natural direction is forwards away from the pilot.......... not a bad idea really :biggrin1:

Tony

Staff member
When you take off, the gyro will hold it. You may have to add a little backwards cyclic, but think about it. When you take off, what is the one way you WANT the helicopter to go, forward. Once you get it up in the air, you stabilize it and get ready for the flight. It'll be fine lol. And if you don't like it, you will have a full set of the short skids and a full set of hte longer skids so you cna take your pick as to what pair you want to put on if you don't like the nose down take off.

Smoggie

It's honestly not an issue at all. When you fly a heli you are constantly correcting anyway. If the tilt does make the heli tend to drift forward ever so slightly then you dont even notice it, you just just correct for it without thinking in the same way as you correct for the effect of wind or translating tendency pushing the heli to the left.

As you are currently flying with 'auto-level' enables that will do the job for you anyway.

Heliman450

Hi guys, OK you convinced me to go ahead. I'll pick up some F3C legs asap and change them over. I bought the same sized black ones so that I wouldn't end up with odd colours when I completed the final mod.

Heliman450

Phil,

You can get the low profile (F3C) ones in black too. The part number is 'H60126'

Landing Skid H60126 - English

Cheers Steve, I checked around and there are only yellow and orange skids available from my two local stores. They have coloured and black at one place, which is a bit further out but they are opening a new, bigger store this week. I'll take a drive over and buy some. Probably not just only what I need :biggrin1:

Today, we had a scale heli morning at our flying club. It was quite well attended and one chap had a 570 Goblin (3 blades) and it was superb. I reckon when I'm in the market for my next heli it will probably be a Goblin.

Bye now!

Smoggie

The yellow and orange must be non-Align parts. Align themselves only make black or white.

I was flying my Trex 600 pro this weekend so here's a video just to show there is no 'funny business' due to the slight nose down tilt:

Trex 623 Pro more of the same at Balgownie - YouTube

PS.. the hand spinning of the rotor is due to the ESC soft start being 'not so soft'.. I've got a new Hobbywing for it but not got around to fitting it yet!

Goblins are very nice, you might as well push the boat out and get a 770:biggrin1:

Last edited:

Heliman450

Hi Steve, so you clinched it for me. A bit late as I've already ordered the parts ready to do the job. I decided to buy via the internet rather than drive to collect them. Their new store doesn't open until 02.08.16 and they're only open on Friday/Saturday morning right now. Hopefully, I'll have them in a couple of days once they process my order.

Nice bit of flying (as usual). Did you say once before what camera you're using? Mine is an old Sony but is well down on my shopping list for renewal until my flying becomes more interesting :lmao:

My plan was to jump to a big rascal but not until my skills have improved dramatically. I had a good session at the field today but the weather is breaking starting with strong winds so I decided to chicken out before losing my current 'crashless' run :chickendance:

Bye for now!

Smoggie

Thanks Phil,

The camera is just a Mobius mounted on a headband. If you were thinking about getting one you would want the narrowest angle lense, the wide angle are good for FPV but not much use for capturing flights from a head cam. It shoots pretty decent videos when mounted on the heli too. There may be better cameras these day as I dont really keep up to date on the latest and greatest in cameras.

You did the right thing calling it a day if the weather was getting bad, better to fly another day than to risk an accident.

Last edited:

Heliman450

Hi Steve, no plans for a new camera right now. When/if the time comes, I'll look for the best option rather than something current. The tech moves forward so fast that it isn't worth spending money on older models. Pretty much as for our hobby, too.

I'm feeling good about the helis performance since going through the whole set-up once more. Main change is the cyclic tuning as shown below. Previously it was only set to 8 degrees.

Screen Shot_05 Small.jpg

In addition, I've set the Tx to 100% D/R and am using a 3pt pitch curve that's working well. Now I'm concentrating only on getting as much stick time as possible to make use of the good performance.

Screen Shot_05 Small.jpg

Heliman450

Hi all,

This thread is getting a bit long and also off topic, too. My next video will be under the following thread Beyond My Hover

Hopefully, it will show some more interesting stuff after today.

Bye for now!

Tony

Staff member
If you want this thread cleaned up, post up the thread numbers and I will clean it when I get a chance. Long posts tend to go off topic on forums. Just one of those things.

trainrider06

I stubbed my toe dangit! Oh shoot off topic!
thanks for your postings Phil, There is a lot of little tricky things to investigate with that Spirit Pro huh??

Heliman450

If you want this thread cleaned up, post up the thread numbers and I will clean it when I get a chance. Long posts tend to go off topic on forums. Just one of those things.

Hi Tony, thanks for that, I'll look into it later today and let you know. I managed 3 batteries' worth of practice yesterday and this morning. Video shows a bit more than just staying over my paved square :biggrin1:

Charging 2 and the Tx. right now ready for the next sessions.

- - - Updated - - -

I stubbed my toe dangit! Oh shoot off topic!
thanks for your postings Phil, There is a lot of little tricky things to investigate with that Spirit Pro huh??

Hi Rodney, long time no see. Nice of you to drop by.

I think it's all similar gyros, not just the Spirit that need a bit more understanding from folks like me 'new to the runway' so to speak. I find the pop-ups more useful than the instructions. When I'm happy with my understanding, I'll run through each screen feature with some tips for viewers to look over.

Bye for now!

Heliman450

Hi Tony, I got around to reading through the threads and although the title doesn't seem to fit any more, I think the threads work well to demonstrate to any viewers just how difficult it can be to progress due to associated issues, so no need to delete threads.

Just a quick run through to close my inputs here. I did some work with Excel to track what I'm doing with battery charging, simple stuff really but I was able to extend it to track my time with the motor running.

I've only had just over 4.5 hours of 'stick-time' with my T-Rex and of course a part of that is just testing following adjustments/repairs etc. This spreads over a period of two months so unless someone is following the hobby and has no other life to live, there is always a practise exercise to just 'get going again'. During this time, I've invested heavily in batteries and charging facilities to be able to turn around the batteries to support my objective. Yesterday, I managed to go twice to the field and captured 13 video clips of my practise sessions - the most ever without an incident or other pressing engagement forcing me to leave.

I think that I've resolved the main issues now with the heli doing what I want and me being able to go away from the take-off pad and return the heli without incident. Still a long way to go to match some other videos I've watched but I just joined the highway after releasing the handbrake :chickendance:

The message............. before embarking on this (or any?) hobby consider seriously what it means in terms of time and financial investment and if you're not up to it stick with watching T.V. :biggrin1:

Off to my video production job!

Top Bottom