Off Topic Chit Chat

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
What in the world is up with youtube. I watch a very select kind of videos, some Rc, some machining, some electrical, some gardening and every now and then, some comedy. And in reality if that is all that is in my watch history (and it is), that is what should be showing up in my recommendations, right? WRONG!

I am getting suggestions for basketball (hate that "game" because they are a bunch of crybabies), anime (People actually watch that crap?), animals (and not the good funny ones...) and a whole slue of other irrelevant videos. None of which I'm even remotely interested in or have watched in the past. So I did a little experiment.

I cleared the cache of my browser (forcing me to sign into all of my sites again, ugh) and I cleared out the watch history from youtube. I clicked on the youtube logo and only one person appeared. I'm not going to name this person because I like his videos but I think there is more going on and don't want to throw him under the bus.

I clicked on the logo again, and again it was this one youtuber's videos. I watch ONE of HIS videos, click on the youtube logo and boom, basketball, anime, crap in other languages, stupid animal videos and so on. I have ONE thing in my history, and that is this other video I watched.

Alright I just did another test because I don't see this other youtuber watching this stuff. I cleared out all of my cache and I watched ONE of MY videos. The T-Maxx 2.5 Teardown video. I clicked on the youtube logo and there it is, wrestling, stupid animals, basketball, other country street food, wwe, mma, even one that says "lofi hip hop / jazhop (this is a thing?), samm henshaw (who?)....

Youtube is screwing this stuff up big time IMO. I'm not watching this crap. But if you look at the views of this crap, someone watches it. NONE of these are under 500k views. stupid animals almost 4 million views, that lofi thing 7.3 million views, something that I can read because I don't speak that language 4.6 million views....

Youtube is no longer about helping the little guy. It's about drowning out the little guy and putting so much stupidity into the world that people won't be able to avoid it....

Hey Tony. Your right about you tube. I've been using the same camera with the same image to record my flights. Today I finally had the chance to take my Gaui X3l out with the new Roto Tech 386mm out for a flight since this weekend was a wash out with wind :(. This time I went head and went to upload my video and for some reason you tube put this up on my screen now,"The file you are uploading may not be a valid video file. See recommended file types for uploads." What the hell! I haven't done nothing different in the last year of recording my heli/quad videos. You tube is becoming and is a joke! :eek:

murankar

Staff member
You can click on the x in the upper right corner of each video group. I have been deleting a whole lot of garbage that YouTube thinks I like. Rarely to they populate with relevant content. I do get a nice selection of the channels I do watch. I have subed to almost 200 channels. A lot of rc and Magic the gathering along with outdoors related channels and 1 second amendment channel.

I some how like this new hip hop music according to YouTube. When in reality I listen to old school rap, top 40 from the 90S and a bunch of rock.

Tony

Staff member
That doesn't work. I have clicked the X, I have clicked the triple dots and selected not interested, and they always come back. I will just quit watching videos on youtube.

murankar

Staff member
I can't stop. That's how I get myself into trouble with the hobby store. They love it and the girlfriend hates it.

Tony

Staff member
Let me rephrase that. I'm going to stop going to the home page and looking for "new" videos. I will still go to the channels that I sub to and watch their content. But when a feed is full of crap that you don't watch, or can't watch because you don't even speak that language, it's just stupid that they keep pushing it on people.

Tony

Staff member
So I just proofed the video that just went live (T-Maxx Trans Disassembly) and when it was over, this is the suggested videos. I am interested in 4 of them, all of which I have already watched and have no need to watch again. The rest, complete waste of my time.

Untitled.png

Tony

Staff member
99% possibility I will be doing a new project that Rc-Help has NEVER done before! I'm a little more than excited!

Tony

Staff member
Yup. Doing a little updating. What did you notice so I can respond to what you are seeing?

Tony

Staff member
Yes sir, that is the new default theme for the site. I'm working on it to make it look a little better. The dark theme is still here, scroll all the way to the bottom of the forum (any page) and you will see "Default Style". Click on that and it will bring up a selection box where you can go back to the dark theme if you wish.

I have been talking to my server guy and we are going to make some changes to this site to try and get a little more activity on here.

Tony

Staff member
It will not be jumping back and forth. White style is now default, dark is what it is. I'm not doing anything major to the dark theme and it will stay the same as it has been for years. At this time, the only thing I have changed on the dark theme is the sign up button color and wording. Not something anyone that stays logged in will notice. But just another idea my server dude gave me.

Tony

Staff member
The dark theme is still on here. Scroll all the way down on any page and you will see Default Fluid on the left side. Click on that and you can select Dark as your style and it will bring back the dark theme that we all know and love.

Tony

Staff member
Can someone reply to anything so that I can test the node icons? That would be great, thanks :chuckles:

Top Bottom