Off Topic Chit Chat

RandyDSok

Ok... my day is complete. Made a bit of money at work ( not much, but some ). Got a troll in on Big'N and a quick jab at Tony to boot... :D

Get out your camera's, tripods and thermal undies for Sunday night. Another Lunar Eclipse is happening but a lot of places will be colder than a witches ti*** as the saying goes. No camera, they are still very cool ( pun not intended ) to watch...

Total Lunar Eclipse on January 20–21, 2019 – Where and When to See

murankar

Staff member
Step son wants to play rust beta bersion4. His current gpu is not grunting enough to play. Rust developers recommend
Radeon R9 FURY 4GB which is a 800 plus dollar card. Any ideas for something cheaper that will be just as good.

RandyDSok

Step son wants to play rust beta bersion4. His current gpu is not grunting enough to play. Rust developers recommend
Radeon R9 FURY 4GB which is a 800 plus dollar card. Any ideas for something cheaper that will be just as good.

That's a fairly old card now ( 2015 ) so if you are looking at pricing for a new one, that price would be high if you can find it just because of it's rarity ( new card vs old ). The retail price for that card should be around $400 if it was still currently being sold/made.

A few of the current GPU cards to look at that are similar in performance... the Radeon RX 580 8Gb should start in the $190 range and is probably the best bang for the buck. The next closest would be a GTX 1060 6Gb and should start in the $240 range. Between the two, see if you can find benchmarks for each for that specific game since these two cards are pretty equal with the RX 580 having a slight memory advantage... but it still depends on the game as to which comes on top.

Another consideration would be the newly released RTX 2060 6Gb. This card is about equivalent to the GTX 1070 in performance but also supports the new ray tracing that at some point may be an advantage but currently doesn't add much since only one game actually uses that feature at this time. These will start in the $350 range at present since they were just released.

Another to consider would be the Radeon RX 590 8Gb which will start in the $260 range and is rated close to the GTX 1070 in performance. I'd probably select this one over the GTX 1060 6Gb since it has more memory and is faster for only about $20 more.

When looking, also consider the game offers they may include since that can often offset a price difference.

Tony

Staff member
are we talking desktop here? If so, does he have room for a full size card?

BTW, I found that Radeon R9 FURY for a bill on ebay.

RandyDSok

I forgot to ask/mention about available room in the case... I also forgot to mention that each of these GPU's I mentioned will have a minimum power supply requirement... The least I'd suggest is a 550w with a 650w being something that will provide a little more headroom. I also strongly recommend getting one that is 80+ certified since a lot of the cheapy PS's may not actually provide the amount of power they may claim, they often list peak power instead of constant RMS power.

murankar

Staff member
Yes desktop. Step son got it for Christmas. We got it for him so he could fort night. Well rust came out he he really wants to play it. All I know is the PC has an radion in it.

It a mid case with atx main board. Has typical pcie slots

Last edited:

Tony

Staff member
I would look into getting a 960 or a 1050. If you can get the ti version of those, that would be better. I have never been a fan of AMD (until Ryzen that is lol) so I know nothing about their cards. That is where Randy will come in. I'm running a 1050ti in my computer and it is doing great. But being an MSI card and not a reference card, it's larger than most so space is an issue. And as Randy stated, you will need to make sure the PSU can handle the card with a little overhead to spare. I'm running an 850 80 Gold PSU in mine just for reference.

RandyDSok

The Radeon RX 580 8Gb and nVidia GTX 1060 6Gb were the two cards closest in performance to the Radeon R9 FURY 4GB that was mentioned. Everything else I mentioned in addition to those, had even higher performance.

The 1050 and 1050 Ti aren't even close to that performance. In fact, in that range... the Radeon RX 570 4Gb beats out either of the 1050's in performance on most games and costs about $10 less... In either case, the 1050's don't make sense in either performance or price and the RX 570 is under-powered if the benchmark we are looking for is something similar to the R9 Fury which is rare to find new stock of ( used stock can be found with any of these ).

The 650w PSU I mentioned ( if it's a good 80+ certified one ) will support up to a RTX 2080 Ti ... So going with a higher power one won't give you much unless you are running more than one GPU ( SLI or Crossfire ) or really OC'ing hard. If you are going to buy one and have a little extra cash, then get a higher 80+ efficiency rating and not a higher power PSU, at least you'll save a little electricity for your money.

I don't care which brand chip something has, I look at quality first and price/performance as a close second. Currently on high end gaming GPU's, nVidia has the clear advantage right now. When it comes to the mid stream GPU's... it's often a toss up between AMD and nVidia products with the one that works best in the programs you are using/playing being the deciding factor. On the lower end products, AMD has a clear advantage for price/performance.

RandyDSok

... darn it... forgot this.

While the PSU ratings I mentioned are fine for the newer GPU's I mentioned. If you do go with an older used GPU, then first look up the recommended power requirements. The newer GPU's are also more power efficient so older GPU's may have ( likely ) a higher wattage requirement and going with a higher power may be required.

RandyDSok

Here we go... just so there is no questions about which GPU is better vs another one...

This covers the GTX 1050 Ti, RX 570, GTX 1060 3Gb & 6Gb, and RX 580 ...

RandyDSok

In reality... none of that was work to speak of, or I should say more work since I try to keep up with that info most of the time anyway. I did look up the specs and performance info of the R9 Fury to see where it stacked against the newer cards and that was about it. I also double checked pricing real quick on all of the models since it'd been coming down recently.

CPU and MB's are another story and not as easily ranked... especially in the midrange stuff.

leedude1

Boys thought I would make you feel better wherever you are... its -32C today with the wind chill here so around -24F. For you guys.
To add to my pleasure I have to go out and shovel 15-20 cm drifts..
Can anyone say fun? :waa::help:

Tony

Staff member
I get to work on the wifes car, change the oil, pull the exhaust, weld up exhaust, reinstall exhaust, all without a heater in the garage. An no, the welder doesn't put off that much heat. And no, the engine will not warm it up in there because I have the drain plug already out of it. It was cold yesterday when I pulled it into the garage but then couldn't find the oil filter. So yea, cold and I don't really own a proper winter coat... Good thing I have all of this natural insulation around me....

leedude1

Does it get really cold up your way also Tony?

I dont mind winter, as such... I just have issue with the minus OMG days...

Hence my affair with my Nano CPS, its the only thing besides the sim I can fly on these days..

Tony

Staff member
We rarely get down to 0ºF here where I live, but we do get there. I think last night we were at 17ºF which is cold enough. We are at 27ºF at this time of this post if you are to believe the local news app I have on my phone which is regularly wrong lol. But to me, this is cold. Without a heater and working on cold steel and iron, this is cold lol.

Top Bottom