600 O.S. 55hz-r engine trouble

Tony

Staff member
Have you checked the fuel filter in the tank (the clunk)? You should be able to take the fuel line and drop it below the tank, and fuel should run out in a nice stream. If you didn't have any smoke, then I'm guessing you have a restriction somewhere. I will see if I can get outside tomorrow and fire mine up (it will be a video just for you and not public). Two turns out is where this engine needs to be for run in.

The engine dying is normal when it's cold and pig rich. But this thing should be belting out smoke and oil out of the exhaust. And it should have a very rich sound to it.

If you are willing to pay shipping both ways, i would be more than happy to tune this thing up for you. I work all week, but should be home during the weekends to do it. Might take me a couple weeks to get it done, but I will get it done. But this is up to you.

Remind me what gyro and Tx you are using so I have an idea of how to get you the file to save if you decide on this and if I can.

I'm with you though, I don't want you to burn up another engine. One is enough. But check to make sure you are getting enough fuel flow out of the tank first. And let me know if I can help in any way. I will do what I can.

Lillyryan

Can you give us a few pictures of how you have the fuel tank plumbed in and from silencer. Make sure all filters are on the correct way around and that clunk sits correctly in the tank. What fuel are you using. I run a OS no8 glow plug and opti 20% fuel.

smattext

Goblin 380 Supporter
Hi Tony I let it warm up for about a minute before i gave it throttle and this heli has less then 1 gallon of fuel total ran through it could the filter be clogged already? I have a Spektrum DX-9 Transmitter and im using a spektrum ar7200bx flybarless system. LILLYRYAN the manual recommends 30% so i use Torco 30% i will go take some pictures now and post them oh and i use the O.S #8 glow plug And Tony im going flying tomarrow i am going to see if there is anyone there at the flying site that may be able to help if i cant find anyone i will ship it to you i really dont want to blow another engine

- - - Updated - - -

20160521_000035.jpg20160521_000146.jpg

20160521_000035.jpg

20160521_000146.jpg

Lillyryan

image.jpeg

Try moving the exhaust back pressure fuel line up to go through the two holes in the side frames. This will make sure you have no compromise on back pressure. If 30% nitro you will need to run quite rich with plenty of lovely smoke trails. I used to run 30% but can't get it here anymore. On a still cool morning their would be a haze of smoke when I landed lol

image.jpeg

smattext

Goblin 380 Supporter
View attachment 15917

Try moving the exhaust back pressure fuel line up to go through the two holes in the side frames. This will make sure you have no compromise on back pressure. If 30% nitro you will need to run quite rich with plenty of lovely smoke trails. I used to run 30% but can't get it here anymore. On a still cool morning their would be a haze of smoke when I landed lol

I will do that and i just filled it up with fuel took off the fuel line put it below the tank no fuel coming out so i took the clunk out to see if it was pluged and in the process i broke the nipple off the black plastic peice so now i cant try to start it again go figure its never ending lol! and there is no clogs so why is no fuel coming out?

Lillyryan

I will do that and i just filled it up with fuel took off the fuel line put it below the tank no fuel coming out so i took the clunk out to see if it was pluged and in the process i broke the nipple off the black plastic peice so now i cant try to start it again go figure its never ending lol! and there is no clogs so why is no fuel coming out?

Nightmare I have done the same before. It is best to use a small screwdriver to pry the grommet out of tank rather than pull on the nipple. My wife doesn't like it either if I pull hers lol. Is it just a open metal clunk you are using or a felt clunk? make sure all exhaust bungs etc are removed from exhaust. Take fuel line off of carb and spin the engine over with the starter to check amount of fuel coming out of fuel line as they require a certain amount of back pressure to fuel tank to give you a realistic idea of the amount of fuel being dispensed. Have you got a spare tank assembly

smattext

Goblin 380 Supporter
Nightmare I have done the same before. It is best to use a small screwdriver to pry the grommet out of tank rather than pull on the nipple. My wife doesn't like it either if I pull hers lol. Is it just a open metal clunk you are using or a felt clunk? make sure all exhaust bungs etc are removed from exhaust. Take fuel line off of carb and spin the engine over with the starter to check amount of fuel coming out of fuel line as they require a certain amount of back pressure to fuel tank to give you a realistic idea of the amount of fuel being dispensed. Have you got a spare tank assembly

Your way to funny LMAO! No i have spare everything but no spare tank assembly!

Tony

Staff member
Don't fret, I have had these days as well. Just seems nothing can go right. And it's usually with Murphy lol. I know I have an align shop here in OKC that sells those parts, maybe you do too in Denver?

Ryan, Mine will put out fuel without pressure being added to the tank. Made many of messes forgetting to plug that line lmao.

What about your fuel filter? That looks like the rebuildable filter (Align AGNHM6022) so you should have another filter element. Might try checking without the filter in place if you had the filter on it.

Also, what size fuel line are you running? ID mainly.

I will try to get outside when I get some coffee in me and we will see about making a video. Need to test some things on my helicopter anyway.

Tony

Staff member
Shot the video (very basic but will give you an idea what to listen for and what to look for) and now I'm editing it. Bonus, you get to see me burn up my clutch!!! :rant:

Tony

Staff member
Here is a horrible video on basic tuning and what you are looking and listening for when getting the helicopter running. In the beginning, I pulled my fuel line and showed you how the fuel should flow. I'm also running 30% fuel, so your smoke should look the same as mine (22 or 23% oil in mine).

Here is the link to the thread with the video in it.

Very Rough Nitro Heli Tuning

smattext

Goblin 380 Supporter
Hi Tony well the grin on my face reaches ear to ear! and if i ever get good enough! i'm gonna pay it forward! Man that was awesome its nice to know that their are still people out there that are willing to help!!! I wish i could start my heli up and give it a try unfortunately in the big city of Denver there is not a hobbie store around that sells the nipple that i broke so i had to order online from amain hobbies in california but im prolly gonna send it to you if you dont mind cause i keep thinking there is something that im missing and im really scared im gonna blow the engine! also im going to order you a new clutch i may have to get your address again if i cant find the box so it can be shipped directly to you!
Thanks a 100 times over Scott!

Tony

Staff member
Hey bro, no worries on the clutch, that was my mistake for leaving it in IU1. I don't think I wore completely through it, yet lol.

And that is what I created this site for, to help people! I wish you could come down here, or I could come up there so that I can show you how to do this in person. The way I did it here is NOT the way you properly do it. In the end, my high end was a little too lean and my mid was also just a hair lean. You can hear this when I did the last pitch pumps, the little fluctuating sound is it starving for fuel. Not enough to hurt the engine with what I flew today, but prolonged flights like this will cause damage, mainly to the ring.

I would be more than happy to help you out with your helicopter. I LOVE nitro helicopters but my body just can't handle much of them. If you saw, the wind was blowing the smoke right in my face. It was so thick that my eyes were burning during this video. Then, about an hour later, I got the famous headache I usually get from running nitro. But, with this new fuel, it was not near as bad. Maybe I am just getting used to it lol.

Just let me know what you want to do. As I stated, it may take me a while, but I will get it done and get it tuned up for you if that is what you decide.

smattext

Goblin 380 Supporter
Hey bro, no worries on the clutch, that was my mistake for leaving it in IU1. I don't think I wore completely through it, yet lol.

And that is what I created this site for, to help people! I wish you could come down here, or I could come up there so that I can show you how to do this in person. The way I did it here is NOT the way you properly do it. In the end, my high end was a little too lean and my mid was also just a hair lean. You can hear this when I did the last pitch pumps, the little fluctuating sound is it starving for fuel. Not enough to hurt the engine with what I flew today, but prolonged flights like this will cause damage, mainly to the ring.

I would be more than happy to help you out with your helicopter. I LOVE nitro helicopters but my body just can't handle much of them. If you saw, the wind was blowing the smoke right in my face. It was so thick that my eyes were burning during this video. Then, about an hour later, I got the famous headache I usually get from running nitro. But, with this new fuel, it was not near as bad. Maybe I am just getting used to it lol.

Just let me know what you want to do. As I stated, it may take me a while, but I will get it done and get it tuned up for you if that is what you decide.

Well its too late i ordered a new clutch bell with liner and a new cluthch!! and sent it to your P.O. Box When i get the new gromet and nipple i will try it one more time and see how it goes and i will let you know!
Thanks again Scott

Tony

Staff member
All I can say is I Appreciate that very much. I will put them in my extra parts stock so that when my clutch does go out, I will have another one to fall back on.

And replace your fuel filter while you are at it. I'm wondering if it's not clogged with it not putting out fuel like mine did in the beginning of the video. Either that, or you have line that is very small ID. No matter, we will get your helicopter in the air soon!

Top Bottom