600 O.S. 55hz-r engine trouble

Lillyryan

Right ok. What model is it and what tx are you using mate. Check that the governor is active and lit up then check that when the magnets on the fan pass the sensor the light should blink I think. This will just double check that it is picking up sensor correctly.

smattext

Goblin 380 Supporter
Ok i have a trex 600 dfc n and a spektrum dx9 tx ,when the magnet goes over the sensor the light should shut off and it does shut off. i just read something interesting it said that all throttle curves should be linear when you train the throttle to the governor and mine werent so i went in and made them all linear and calabrated the govenor again do you think that might be the problem? also it said the light on the govenor should be red on normal mode and green on stunt 1 and stunt 2 on mine it is green on all

Lillyryan

Yes linear curves when setting up and then set idle up curves to start at about 33% and try that mate. I honestly can't remember if mine was lit up in normal mode. I know I had it set to come on though. Give it a try and let us know

- - - Updated - - -

I think if you put 0% in normal mode on governor this will disable it.

Tony

Staff member
Make sure you have set your endpoints as well. Meaning low end point is idle and max is carb wide open without binding. Sounds like you may not be opening all the way if you have done everything else correctly.

smattext

Goblin 380 Supporter
Well I have an udate Ive done everything that was suggested and have done more reaserch ! trying to figure this out while i was in the transmitter in travel adjustments i noticed on the governor channel the low was at 115 and the high was at 84 i dont have a clue how they got that way i know i didnt do that nor would have i even thought that was possible! so i changed the high and the low back to 100%. Then i figured out on the governor the only way to turn it off is to put a negative value of -0.5% in the governor channel in normal mode. the post i found online said the governor should be off in normal mode! then in stunt 1 and stunt 2 the value on on mine should 80% and 90% according to the chart in the manual on the governor. So i turned everything on but didnt start it up and the throttle seemed to be working like it should from normal mode too stunt 2. Today i took it out today started it up in normal mode i had it hovering switched to stunt one it actually worked switched to stunt 2 it worked went back to normal mode was hovering and the engine blew up! I have no clue why im so frustrated it seemed like it was running fine. I feel like an idiot because im sure it was some i had probably done due to no experience with nitro of any kind but i read and reread the manual on break in before i started it and i followed the manual. I took it apart it blew a hole through the head of the piston very frustrated not sure if i should give this another try

Tony

Staff member
How many turns out were you on your needles?

It's fantastic that you found your issue, but sucks horribly that the engine grenaded itself.

Lillyryan

God that sucks man. Sounds like you may be running too lean. Didn't realise you were running engine in. I never used governor when running in but a lot of the 3D pilots chuck a new engine in and go flat out from the start lol. Hopefully you can rebuild the engine ok. Maybe just piston, rings and cylinder sleeve but it may need main bearings, crank and push rod.

Tony

Staff member
Yea, your mid is what did it. That is very lean for a mid needle. I'm sure it sounded awesome though.

Tony

Staff member
I'm sure it's rebuildable, it just had a hole in the piston. Going to probably have to replace the piston and ring, possibly the sleeve and more than likely the rear bearing. But he has other options as well. lol,

Smoggie

ages since I run glow/nitro engines but from back in the day a couple of things that will hole a piston:

• Running a glow plug grade that's too hot.
  • Running high nitro fuel without also putting in a thicker head gasket to reduce compression (and probably a cooler plug grade)

So I'd be checking that the plug is the one recommended for the engine and the % nitro is also as recommended. Failure to break in a new motor properly might cause the piston to 'nip' but it wont cause a piston to hole.

Running weak will do it too but usually you would notice that as the pickup would be poor.

Last edited:

Tony

Staff member
Steve, he had his mid needle set very lean which is what caused the hole. It just ran too hot and these engines will burn a hole into the piston before anything else lets go.

smattext

Goblin 380 Supporter
20160519_004925.jpg20160519_005022.jpg this 600 nitro has been a pain but bought the 55hz-h engine from Tony I have installed the engine hopefully its smooth flying from here on out ,gonna fly it saturday maybe friday not sure yet! Thanks Tony and every one that has helped rc help is a pretty awesome site!!

20160519_004925.jpg

20160519_005022.jpg

Tony

Staff member
Fantastic! Love the decals too :biggrin1:.

Just be sure to ask questions if you get stuck. The last thing you want to do is rush the tuning process. I was going to make a tuning video today, but guess what... rain... Figures lol.

smattext

Goblin 380 Supporter
Well Tony my frustration level has gone from my feet up through my body and out my ears!! Im back to square 1 i am going flying tomarrow so i decided to start this beast up and see how it runs. Im so paranoid i had to redo the throttle i read and watched videos to make sure i did it right ! i put all the throttle curves and pitch curves to linear i disabled the mixing redid the throttle on low stick its fully closed at 50% of the three marks the mark lines up with the middle mark at high stick its fully open ,calibrated the governor! changed all settings back checked to make sure the the governor light was red in normal mode. started it up idled fine gave it throttle just before mid stick it bogged down and died started it up again just before mid stick it died again plus i did not notice much smoke ! i kept a close eye on temp fully closed both needles and reopened to two turns out just to be sure started it up just before mid stick it died again !aaarrrggghhh! i quit im scared to death im going to blow another engine! i trie to pull my hair out but i shave my head and i couldnt get ahold of any hair FRICK! I dont know what to do!!

Top Bottom