Quad Newbee quad copter building. HELP!!

kratata

I'm getting into the quad copters (don't own one yet) but wanna build my own. I looked for a nice sturdy quad frame and found this: http://xhover.com/collections/frames/products/mxp220-mini-acro-frame
I don't wanna go all fancy and stuff. What id like is for it to be light weight, have battery life that lasts more than 10min, good signal from at least half a mile, nice speedy motors, the ability to do flips and things like that, quick response to get through tight spaces, and abled to carry a go pro to do fpv. I am mainly going to go off the suggested components that are further down the page in the link above unless you suggest otherwise for what I want the quad to be capable of. Here are the links to the components I was thinking of using.
(motors) http://www.ebay.com/itm/4PCS-Origin...105?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19f8c734a1

(propellers) http://xhover.com/collections/propellers/products/gemfan-5x3-propellers
(ESCs) http://xhover.com/collections/escs/products/velotech-12a-with-simonk-program-no-bec

(battery) http://www.tmart.com/BT687-RC-Quadc..._price=us_us&gclid=CNeu36LXzsUCFcsXHwod90MApg

(flight controller)http://www.tmart.com/Naze-32-10DOF-...rice=hk_intl&gclid=CKu27bfZzsUCFYsRHwodNSsAJA

(receiver) http://www.motionrc.com/spektrum-dx5e-5-channel-transmitter/#reviews

Will all the parts work together? Lemme know what you think! :)

Tasajara

Yes they should be fine, Just if you want to carry a GoPro you may want to go with little bigger frame like the MXP230 FPV Quadcopter
or a Blackout 330/360 Frame w/ Power Distribution Board
I have a xRotor IFrame Quad that works very well also.
I did this video with it.
I use these esc's they work very good. I put them on the last 3 quads I built. F-12A FIRE RED SERIES BLHELI-(ONESHOT)
I also use 1800mAh batteries on my Mini's And a 330 size quad you could use up to a 3200mAh which would give you a good flight time.
Hope this helps....

Last edited by a moderator:

kratata

Okay so a gopro weighs 3.5 oz which isn't even half a pound. I commented on some fpv vids of the MXP220 asking if they used a gopro/ think a go pro would work on that frame (i'll update you). Maybe I'll just get a smaller camera that can do fpv. Oh and that quadcopter that you recommended looks nice and all, but I kinda wanna build my own just for a learning experience and to be proud of what I did you know. I'll definitely use those ESCs but are you sure a 3cell 3200mAh battery won't fry any of the components listed above? If anyone has a recommended battery please let me know :) Thanks for all the help and great video!

Lee

You still have to build it. It doesn't come ready to fly. Just means you don't have to search for all the bits in different places.
All 250 quads will handle a Gopro, its just the form factor isn't very aerodynamic.
Get a Mobius, they are only about 60 bucks, and made for the 250 quads.

3200mah is way too big for a 250 quad. You need a 1500 to 1800.
The Zippy compacts are great from Hobby King.

kratata

Yeah I'll definitely get that 1800mAh battery and that camera. I understand putting it together for the most part. The main thing is setting up the Naze32 controller. I'll figure it out thoe. I think that's it. Thanks for all the help guys!

Stambo

You still have to build it. It doesn't come ready to fly. Just means you don't have to search for all the bits in different places.
All 250 quads will handle a Gopro, its just the form factor isn't very aerodynamic.
Get a Mobius, they are only about 60 bucks, and made for the 250 quads.

3200mah is way too big for a 250 quad. You need a 1500 to 1800.
The Zippy compacts are great from Hobby King.

I agree with Lee on this, although my preference would be a Naze32 FC. :)
Also the radio you listed is cheap and quite basic, you would be better off spending a little more and getting a few more channels and switches.
5 channels is enough for basic controls but if you later want to toy with in flight tuning or switching other things like lights or camera tilt you need more.
Also good to have a channel for a locater beeper although you can add that to the 3 position flight mode switch.
A turnigy 9x is an excellent budget 9(8) channel tx, I still have mine although I have now progressed to a Taranis.

kratata

Is their any reason as to why you would suggest the NAZE32? Also, when I was first looking at controllers they were all $200 to $300 from what I saw and I don't have that kinda money just for a controller. I'll probably end up getting that turnigy 9x thoe. A beeper does sound like a good idea, especially for night flight. One thing I was curious about was if you strapped 2 batterys together and connected them to a voltage controller. Would it change the flight time by much since it has to carry 2 batterys? Would that be just to much weight for a frame like the MXP220 or MXP230?

Tasajara

You have a fine line between over kill on batteries. You may think 2 batteries would give you longer flights but you have to consider that it adds more weight. Thus cutting flight times in some cases.
1800mAh is about the largest size I would use on a mini quad, Much larger makes it a bit sluggish. If you go with a 400 size quad you could use around a 3200mAh 3s battery and get some good flight times.
Naze32 is a great controller and with the New CleanFlight firmware they fly great even with the default settings. I use the Flip32 also which is like a Naze , it is a clone.

Last edited:

kratata

Yeah I was just curious about the whole battery thing. I'm just gonna keep it simple and maybe add stuff when I get more comfortable with all the quadcopter stuff. So with the Naze32 I listed above I wouldn't have to plug it into a pc and mess with the settings nstuff? I could just put it on the quadcopter and be done with it?

Stambo

Yeah I was just curious about the whole battery thing. I'm just gonna keep it simple and maybe add stuff when I get more comfortable with all the quadcopter stuff. So with the Naze32 I listed above I wouldn't have to plug it into a pc and mess with the settings nstuff? I could just put it on the quadcopter and be done with it?

You do need to hook it up to a PC to set up your RC gear and flight modes.
Also when it's time to make some adjustments, being familiar with the PC software is a definite.
It is not that hard though and we are here to help if you need it.
When the time comes, I have a small txt file that has all my pre flight setup steps on it.

kratata

Okay I watched some vids and it looks fairly simple. I also know how to calibrate the escs and add a beeper and GPS to the Neza32. Also found out how to make sure the motors spin right. Now I'll get the parts and go to town! I'll probably need help with the wiring XD

kratata

I thought I was done but then got confused with receivers and channels. How many channels does a receiver use just for the controls? I was gonna get this receiver http://www.amazon.com/dp/9269807304/?tag=rch0a-20 but I want to put a beeper and GPS on my quad. Does a beeper need a channel if it's set to detect low voltage? Also a GPS only uses 1 channel right? I would assume a beeper would need a channel if you had it setup to beep when you can't find it.

Stambo

If you are building a mini, forget the GPS.
As for a transmitter, check this out.
It comes with an 8 channel rx.
If you use the beeper output from the Naze32 you can set it to be a low battery warning and a lost model beeper.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/..._Module_8ch_Receiver_Mode_2_v2_Firmware_.html

I and many others have them and they are an awesome entry level tx.
I upgraded later to frsky module and rx, then got a Taranis.
The good thing about the Frsky stuff is that it is directly compatible with the Taranis.

Last edited:

Stambo

That will work fine or I would not recommend it. :)
The Flip32 is a clone of the Naze32 and will be just fine.
That one you have linked seems equivalent to the full Naze32 but seems really cheap.
I use only the Acro board which does not have the compass or baro.
Much easier to set up and tune.

kratata

Oh, didn't realize it wasn't the real NAZE32. Why would someone make a clone of the NAZE32? What does the one I have linked not have that the full NAZE32 has?
I found a video series that shows how to tune the NAZE32 and add beepers nstuff so I think I'll keep the compass and barometer just because lol.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, didn't realize it wasn't the real NAZE32. Why would someone make a clone of the NAZE32? What does the one I have linked not have that the real NAZE32 has?
I found a video series that shows how to tune the NAZE32 and add beepers nstuff so I think I'll keep the compass and barometer just because lol.

kratata

Okay scratch all the questions. (don't know how to delete posts) I did some research and the NAZE32 Is exactly the same as the FLIP32. The FLIP32 just has the pin holes setup differently and is extremely cheap compared to the NAZE32. I'm just gonna go with the FLIP32 because the price.

kratata

Will this smart charger be fine on a 1800mah 3c zippy compact battery if I get an adapter? I use it on airsoft batterys. 0523151012.jpg0523151013.jpg

0523151012.jpg

0523151013.jpg

Stambo

Most definitely not, you need a proper lipo charger.
Lipo batteries are dangerous if not charged and handled properly.
They have caused fires and burnt down houses.

Top Bottom