500 My Trex500 just showed up in the mail.

BOKI

No chance, when he opens it up and sees how fast that thing flys, he'll crap himself. :D
Hi Lee ; The Trex 500 is SUPER FAST!!! Do big Oval patterns real long & they just are beautiful to watch so quiet extremely fast ! Nice Helicopter BOKI SATURDAY 8:28 AM ILLINOIS TIME THE BEST

zenmetsu

Not done yet, I need electronics. ;)

It will be a little while longer still before this thing sees some action, I'm afraid.

zenmetsu

Anyone have experience with a particular motor for the Trex500? I will probably go with Scorpion or Hyperion since they are identical, so if someone has a recommendation for a Scorpion motor, let me know.

Going to run down to the LHS and pick up a bigger battery and look into mounting the ESC. So much room on this heli.

Lee

I'm using the align motor. Its been a work horse. no probs and tonnes of power.

Tony

Staff member
I second the Align 500MX (I think lol). The MX series motors have more torque than the last set.

Tony

Staff member
Scorpions get a little hotter and require a larger ESC, but are power houses. Unfortunately you will spend over double for a good scorpion setup.

murankar

Staff member
Yes you will and it is worth it. Trust me I know. My hk2221-8 v2 has tons of power wish it was able to handle 4s. My ESC handles up to 4s and does a great job. I especially like the ir programming card for the ESC.

zenmetsu

Yeah, the Hyperion HS2206-3900 that I just put in my 250 is a real brute. Apparently Scorpion stopped making this model, but this motor is the same hardware just with upgraded bearings.

I spooled it up, full throttle/collective while holding onto the skids and I thought that it was about to lift me up into the air! :) I set a custom pitch curve that maxed out at 2 degrees at 100% throttle and ran it wide open until the LVC kicked in. The battery was hotter than the motor was, the ESC was not even warm. I have a 30A ESC which is way overkill for the 250, but I have grown to like it very much.

So I will probably pick up a two motors so that I will have a spare just in case. This will give me a chance to compare performance, which is kinda a joke since I don't do anything serious yet... though pitch pumping is fun because of the noise and impressive climb rate. I still need to know which scorpion motor will best suit the Trex500. I'll go ahead and place an order for the 500MX while I wait.

murankar

Staff member
here is a starting point: Scorpion HK-4020-1390 Brushless Motor (1890W, 1390Kv), Scorpion HK-3226-1600 Brushless Motor (2000W, 1600kV), Scorpion HK-3226-1400 Brushless Motor (2330W, 1400kV).

the first one I think is for the 500-550 classes, also I found these on a main hobbies web site. You can also check out http://www.scorpionsystem.com/. Once you know what you want then you can go price hunting.

zenmetsu

here is a starting point: Scorpion HK-4020-1390 Brushless Motor (1890W, 1390Kv), Scorpion HK-3226-1600 Brushless Motor (2000W, 1600kV), Scorpion HK-3226-1400 Brushless Motor (2330W, 1400kV).

the first one I think is for the 500-550 classes, also I found these on a main hobbies web site. You can also check out http://www.scorpionsystem.com/. Once you know what you want then you can go price hunting.

Site appears down.

I think that I will go with the 3226-1600 on 6S, and run a 90A ESC. This should be enough juice. Probably will need around 3000mAh for the battery pack.

zenmetsu

While waiting for my servos, I am starting work on my 500 canopy. Got the holes drilled for the canopy nuts and have the whole thing sanded down and ready for primer coat.

Luckily weight isn't so much a problem on the 500, i'm going to clear-coat the hell out of this thing when I am done. :burnout:

zenmetsu

I picked up a 6S battery pack and hooked up the ESC and receiver. I am now lacking only the motor and 4 servos. I was in for a shock when I plugged in the ESC to bind the receiver... BIG sparks coming from the bullet connector when I attached my Phoenix Ice 100. I guess that's the 22+ volts speaking. Got the receiver bound and ready. Now the fun part is to decide how to mount my ESC and receiver. The ESC is a bit too big to fit under the battery, so I will likely mount it to the side of the fuselage below the main gear.

Tony

Staff member
Yeah, when I was running 6s it tossed sparks every time I plugged it in. I have found no way around it so far.

Top Bottom