500 My Trex500 just showed up in the mail.

murankar

Staff member
Little early for that we have not celebrated the birth and now you want to celebrate the death. :lol:

One holiday at a time bro. :lol:

zenmetsu

While waiting for my servos... I am working on this contraption:
IMG_2246.JPG

This microcontroller will serve a few roles, the primary one at the moment is analyzing vibration. By tapping one of the motor wires, I can calculate the motor RPM and thus head speed. The microcontroller will either log data to sd-card, or it will display a frequency histogram over a video connection for bench testing. Using the motor RPM as a multiplier, the software will identify frequencies that relate to the various gears as well as the gear teeth themselves to help identify problems on the helicopter.

Eventually I will tap each of the data lines to the servos and build a "black box" recorder so that I can review FBL system performance. :)

BTW, in the photo you see a servo extension cable that is powering the device. It will be plugged directly into the receiver via the Bind/Data port. The red JST connector is RS-232 serial for programming and data downloads. The orange pair of wires is for the vibration sensor, and the blue wires will be fitted with a connector for the video signal.

I found out that the power adapter for my DX6i has a detachable barrel connector. The connector has two pins and looks like a servo cable minus the data pin. It turns out that the polarity is correct and it puts out 6V. I am using it to power this device for testing. I always wondered why they built this cable that way, but it cannot be coincidence that a servo can be powered from the cable. :)

IMG_2246.JPG

Last edited:

Lee

Nice idea, hope it works. For the less electronically minded (like me) there is an easier way. Buy a Castle Creation ESC. It does all that for you already.LOL :)

zenmetsu

Got my motor mounted and the ESC situated. This motor is a beast! I am almost afraid to maiden this thing now.

Surprisingly, it is harder to place things on this 500 for some reason; I had an easier time laying out components and routing cables on the 250. The main gear just takes up so much room, and I am a bit paranoid to get anything near it.

The ESC will not fit inside of the frame anywhere, so it is stuck to the side with velcro pad and a velcro strap. The cables are all zip-tied down. I routed the battery cables in such a way that they are unlikely to ever short, and I am unlikely to ever hook anything up with reverse polarity. The only thing left are the 4 servos and the gyro.

I like how clean this helicopter looks. :)

IMG_2248.JPG
IMG_2251.JPG
IMG_2252.JPG
IMG_2259.JPG
IMG_2260.JPG

IMG_2248.JPG

IMG_2251.JPG

IMG_2252.JPG

IMG_2259.JPG

IMG_2260.JPG

Tony

Staff member
Looking good. Can't wait to see what you come up with to keep the servo wiring clean lol. IT's a lot of fun but also a lot of work. Mostly work lmao.

zenmetsu

Servo wires will be cake.

The pitch/aileron servos will have their wires right next to one another in the center of the frame. I will label the connectors, and then feed both wires through some of that expandable sleeving like my ESC's throttle wire has. This will be zip-tied to the left frame on the inside, running back to the receiver.

The rudder and elevator servos will both be mounted so that their wires are on the left side of the frame. I will likely need to shorten the wires quite a bit, but running them up to the receiver will be trivial.

What I do not like is how the plastic tail boom is completely solid and blocks wire routing up through the frame to the upper electronics tray. That is why this badboy is on my list: http://www.rc-tek.com/store/i2rc-trex-500-high-performance-cnc-boom-mount-p2248.html

Once I get a replacement tail boom mount, I will really be able to clean things up and add some extra electronics.

Tony

Staff member
Your tail boom block doesn't split in the middle? Is there no way to drill a hole or something in it? Got a picture as a reference?

Tony

Staff member
I didn't know if they came out with something else since I have not been looking at them much lmao. that aluminum one is quite nice and also has a really nice price tag lol.

zenmetsu

That's what happens when stuff is made in the states. :chuckles:

- - - Updated - - -

I also found a really awesome hobby shop here in the valley today. They carried all sorts of stuff that I am not used to seeing. For example, the other 7 hobby stores are mostly Align, and these guys had Gaui and some others. They also carried almost the full line of Hyperion servos and motors, as well as a ton of gyros including the Spartans that I love so much. I found out about them when I went there to pick up my motor this afternoon. They were super helpful and enthusiastic as well. Bad part? 30 mile drive for me. :grey:

Tony

Staff member
Lookin' clean bro. Sucks that I have got NO work done on the 600 lol. LED are on the aquarium though!

wolfman76

gyro on the bottom plate???? lol man i love that black mesh wire cover where you get it and do they have blue???

Last edited:

Tony

Staff member
They have just about every color you could want. I have quite a bit of black that I used to string every wire in my old computer. Looked sick when I was done, very clean. The place I get it from is called Spectra Wire in Moore Oklahoma. but I"m sure you have a wire place near you that you can get it from. It's much cheaper to buy a 50' roll than it is to order it off the net. Unless you buy bulk there as well.

Tony

Staff member
Wouldn't that be a bolt company more than a wire company? Just thinking out loud lmao.

Top Bottom