General my first trex 450 sport build

Smoggie

The 460MX comes in two types, the 1800kV version (for 6S power) and the 3200kV version (for 3S power)... it's absolutely critical that you know what motor you have. If you power the 3200kV motor with a 6S battery the ESC and motor are likely to go up in smoke.

You would be far FAR better just sticking to the battery and motor type that the heli was designed for. Many beginners think 'bigger must be better' for batteries but that's not true because bigger is also heavier and weight reduces heli performance and doesnt actually extend flight time by much because the heli uses more power to lift the extra weight. If you did go the 6S route then the mAh capacity must go down, so the batteries for a 450 are generally either 3S 2200mAh or 6S 1250mAh (plus or minus 100mAh either way). But for your heli the 3S is recommended because the 6S is unlikely to fit. Strapping the battery underneath might 'work' but it would be a 'bodge job', look awful and make the battery prone to damage.

I'm afraid the downside of electric power is relatively short flight times.. this is just the way it is. The solution though is simple, get a few batteries.

yak1646

Yeah I'll probably have to buy a slightly smaller battery.pulse must be one of the best companies.and also remember I have a 450 sport not a pro.well I also have a pro but we're not talking about that.for my pro I only need a 3s for the 3500 kV motor.but that won't work for a 460mx.

Smoggie

Like I said, there are two different versions of the 460MX motor. It comes in 1800kV or 3200kV the first is for 6S and the second for 3S... which do you have?

Pulse generally have a reputation good batteries but if it were me I'd just buy cheap ones from Hobbyking or similar. As a beginner the last few % of battery performance is not really an issue. maybe when you are a '3D god' you will need the very best batteries, until then buy cheap i say!

Last edited:

KLA

Hobbykings Turnigy NanoTech batteries are fairly inexpensive and work great for me. They also have the new Turnigy Graphene batteries which are supposed to be real good batteries. Don't know too much about the Graphene batteries yet but they are supposed to run a higher C discharge rating while still running cool. I'll look into it and see what I can find out about them.

Last edited:

Smoggie

The ordinary Turnigy 'Blue' batteries are fine too. I use the 40C ones in many of my helis. They aren't the very best performing batteries in the world, but unless you are a very hard flyer they will be fine. They are more than good enough for all I can throw at them.

trainrider06

I have had about 50% success with the Turnigy series batteries. My 6s 3000mah puffed like a balloon after only 10 fights!
The other one lasted a bit longer although it's days are numbered because it is beginning to show slight puffing. I have about 6 2200 batteries for my 450 Pro and only one of those is starting to not be as hard as the other 5. My 2 pulse batteries for the 500, and 2 for the 450L are however still nice and firm. I have a Gens Ace for the 450 Pro that's holding up well.
Granted though the 2 Turnigy's showed the puff after easy flights, but it was very hot out (near 100 degrees).

KLA

I've never had a problem with the NanoTech batteries. Out of 6 batteries only 1 is starting to ever so slightly puff up but I do have almost a hundred flights on that battery. For a $7 battery, I guess I really can't complain. 7 cents a flight isn't bad.

yak1646

I have the 1800 kv edition of 460mx.It will definitly need a 6s for sure.ill probably go with the Turnigy NanoTech or the new Turnigy Graphene.

I finally got mine built but i took my time. The canopy with the standard 6S Pulse is an EXTREMELY tight fit. local hobby shop said thats normal and he actually wore his grommet hole out to an oblong shape after so much use.

yak1646

I have a 3s 2200 mah,but will that work for a 460mx 1800 motor.i tried it before and the heli when I spooled it up(not flying, just testing) it started off so slowly and it didn't seem like it would even fly.my ESC is a castle talon 35 meant for a 6s (it says 6s lipo on it in the corner.)

KLA

The 3S 2200mah will spool up the motor but you won't get the proper headspeed for the heli to fly correctly. Tony or Steve would be the ones to ask about this. They both know a lot more about it than I do and can explain it better.

Last edited:

trainrider06

I have a 3s 2200 mah,but will that work for a 460mx 1800 motor.i tried it before and the heli when I spooled it up(not flying, just testing) it started off so slowly and it didn't seem like it would even fly.my ESC is a castle talon 35 meant for a 6s (it says 6s lipo on it in the corner.)

I wouldn't run anything smaller than a 45-50 Amp esc with that configuration. You'll need a 6s battery to run that motor, thats what it was designed for. Does that motor actually fit in that frame and mount to the motor mount?

Smoggie

Yes, the 1800kV motor is going to need a 6S battery. It will run on 3S but too slowly to give decent performance. The 35A ESC should be fine if you are running 6S. The higher voltage 6S motors pull less amps. A 35A on a 6S setup can give the same power as a 70A ESC on 3S... which is far more than necessary for a 450.

When choosing a 6S battery size is going to be critical if you want to be able to fit the canopy on. Hobbyking publish sizes for their batteries so try to get something as close to the shape and size of a 3S 2200 battery as possible.

Smoggie

The castle Talon 35A was specifically designed for 6S 450 size helis:
Talon 35: Little package, big BEC.
This "mighty mini" can take on the most extreme maneuvers while keeping it's cool. Talon 35 is intended for use in 450 Heli setups running up to 6S or .10 to .20 fixed wing applications pulling up to 35 amps and boasts a 7 amp peak/5 amp continuous BEC, keeping even the most draining servos at ease. Talon 35 also offers Castle's industry-leading helicopter functions, not to mention easy programming using the Castle Link USB adapter (coupon included). The compact layout and thin profile make mounting Talon 35 simple and stress-free in any setup.
Castle Creations | Talon Series Controllers

So personally i have no doubt it will be just fine. Like I said, with the higher voltage and lower kV motor amps comes down to about half of what you would see on a standard 3S 450. Align use a 45A ESC because it has to be suitable for the 3S heli where current is higher.

As further assurance the rating of the ESC exceeds that of the motor. The motor is rated to 30A continuous and 45A burst (ESC = 35A and 52A)... so the motor should blow before the ESC does.

Last edited:

Tony

Staff member
Actually I was talking about the Align 35a esc. I missed where it said castle. I have too much going on in my life right now and over look some things. No need to go where you went.

Top Bottom