FBL Gyro IKON Servo 1, 2, 3 TRex 500 DFC

pvolcko

Pitch I set with a gauge for +/-12. I just never considered doing similar for cyclic. At least I don't recall doing so. Maybe I did and I'm not remembering. I thought I treated it similar to the 7200BX cyclic ring setting, though. I set it to maximum where it would not bind anything when I was at full max and min pitch and full ail/ele in both directions. The Ikon app description really doesn't specify what you should do with it.

IF you want to set it for a maximum cyclic pitch angle, go for it. The worst that will happen is that your roll rates will be artificially limited, or perhaps roll rate consistency will vary at the high end due to not having enough headroom to correct for inertia, wind, etc. IF you see that happening, easy enough to go in and put a few more points onto the setting.

I need to do some research and see what others are doing on this. Maybe I've been doing it wrong this whole time. Entirely possible. Or, as I said, I am totally forgetting about measuring cyclic angle with a gauge.

Last edited:

Derek

ok, this is new to me, so I want to learn. How do you go about measuring or setting your cyclic pitch?

Island Breeze

Senior Rc-Help Member
Set your blades parallel with boom. I forget but on the IKON menu I believe it is 6 or 7 where you set your servos on the right you see pitch and cyclic. On your TX push your ail stick to the left and then adjust from ikon to get your cyclic pitch.

Last edited:

Derek

so, setting the cyclic pitch is similar to setting the blade pitch...as far as rotor head positioning? am I understanding that right?

I'm very excited to get my digital pitch gauge now. Should be here within the next day or two.

Tony

Staff member
Yup, just run your blades sticking straight out the front of your helicopter. Set it to a perfect 0º (which should be mid stick, but you know how that goes) then move your aileron fully to the right or left. Use the swash menu to adjust the aileron setting until you get the pitch that you want. Once that is done, just set your elevator to the exact same number as the aileron and your done. Do NOT try to move the helicopter so that you can check the elevator and don't try to turn the helicopter around to check the back blade, with a digital pitch gauge, you can ONLY check the blades in the direction in which you calibrated it.

Derek

well, I hate to say it but I think someone is going to have to meet me on Skype, sometime, and verbally explain this to me. I just want to be sure that I'm understanding it correctly.

Ken Jackson

Well my IKON passed the first hover test. Felt good and the tail is a rock. When I switch to SL mode it took off hard left. I expected it wouldn't be perfect so I was up high. So I'll go through the leveling process again but it flew very well so I'm happy about that.

Ken

Ken's TRex 500 with new IKON Gyro

Ken Jackson

I went back into setup briefly to reverse my tail rudder servo. I did not go through all the screens again. I'm thinking that may be why. When I had it on the bench and set levels and pitches I switched it on and the swash had a slight pull to the left, maybe 1 or 2 mm change. When I flipped it on yesterday it almost laid on its side, I really had to stick it to keep it in the air while I flipped SL back off.

I'll go through the full setup again before I try SL. Probably won't ever use it. I spend half my flight time upside down anyway so SL wasn't why I bought the IKON, LOL.

Ken

Lee

Use as many bubble levels as you can find to make sure the swash and the unit are flat before setting level.
Also make sure the unit is free from vibrations as much as you can. It hate vibes in SL mode.
Then once you've hovered it in calm weather, you can dial out any drift in the heli using the compensation sliders in the software :)
Good luck Ken.

Ken Jackson

Went back into setup and re leveled. Took it for a test flight, 12 degrees F outside but I did it anyway. I'm going to just forget about SL. On the bench when I switch to SL mode it doesn't move. When I was in the air it dropped the nose about 15 degrees. So it must be a vibration issue that isn't affecting normal flight. My camera shut off after 51 seconds so I'm not posting the video and it is too cold for another flight.

Sport mode is OK but I found rolls and flips to be very slow from what I'm used to on the 3GX. I'm going to disable SL mode and make my 3rd mode 3D. I thought I wasn't good enough for 3D on the IKON but I'm definitely better than sport mode.

Ken

Derek

WOW Ken! I can't believe you were out flying! It's so cold outside, I don't even want to go check the mailbox, lol.

Ken Jackson

I'm getting tired of sim flying. This winter has got to end or I'm gonna convert my helicopters into custom built RC snow mobiles, Lol.

I just bought an IKon for my 250 pro dfc. I should get it Saturday. I am real excited about it. I watched a tutorial on setting it up and it looked easy enough but then so did the 3GX tutorial and I screwed that up every time I tried to set it up.

Top Bottom