FBL Gyro IKON Servo 1, 2, 3 TRex 500 DFC

Ken Jackson

I find this very confusing. Why don't they just call the servo pitch, aileron and elevator. Could someone please tell me which servo is which.

I believe
Servo 1 = pitch
Servo 2 = Elevator
Servo 3 - Aileron

Ken

Tony

Staff member
It's going to depend on what swash setup you have. Take a look at this picture and it should answer your question. Confused me as well when I first started.

ikonservosetup.jpg

ikonservosetup.jpg

Tony

Staff member
Remember, aileron is always going to be on the right, pitch on the left, and elevator in the center.

Ken Jackson

I got it now, thanks. The 3GX is much easier to set up. Of course it wasn't the first time but I'm used to it now.

cml001

Keep posting on this... I real interested in the ikon... Weigh'n out whether to grab that or another beastx

Ken Jackson

Well the IKon is supposed to be better then the beastx and the 3GX. Anyway Tony all through the setup. Everything went well except two things. I cannot change the mode, I'm guessing I need to enable a switch to toggle? Can't remember how I did it before.

And the worst problem is when testing the gyro the rudder is correcting the right way, the elevator is correcting the right way but the aileron is correcting the wrong way. I know the stick movements everywhere else in setup is right and the tab that you set the 100% throw is right. Any suggestions?

Ken

Tony

Staff member
Lets start with the modes. I had to push and hold my roller to enter system setup and assign a switch to Aux2 I think. This allowed me to change the modes with the F-Mode switch.

And in the servo sub trim menu, there is a reverse check box. It's on the left side, and says Servo Reverse. Keep clicking it and checking your controls until everything is perfect.

Tony

Staff member
Nope, but that is where I put it... I guess I could separate it out from the F-Mode. Doesn't really matter to me, the 600 is not going in the air anytime soon.

Derek

With some help from Paul, I was able to get the bank switching on my AUX2 switch. I went in to the Switch Select and assigned it in there.

pvolcko

AS for the correction problem. Reversing ail in Tx isn't going to solve this. From the sounds of it you mean when you tilt it left and right the swash is moving in the direction of the tilt instead of against it?

It could be two problems (or a mix of both):

1) You plugged the servos into the unit incorrectly based on step 6 of the software (The problem screen mentioned above). 1 and 3 may need to be swapped. If you do need to do this, then you probably will need to reverse the ail channel in the Tx servo setup so your stick movements make sense again to the swash movement. Will possibly require going through leveling again depending on how much difference there was on in-software trimming in step 7. Before doing all this, go back to step 4 and make sure that the bars move in the right directions for ail. Full right ail should move the bar full right, vice versa on left. Elevator forward should be full right bar on ele channel. I've gotten so wrapped up in making sure my travel amounts hit the 100% marks that I neglected the directions, which can cause problems like you're seeing in later steps.

2) You selected the wrong unit orientation from step 9. If you do need to change this screen selection then recheck all corrections to make sure they make sense.

Ken Jackson

Thanks Paul, I may have done what you said and in trying to get the full 100 I may have not noticed the direction. I will check that first. I know the swash goes right when I move the stick right but I would have reversed it to make it that way not noticing the direction in step 4. I'm sure that's the problem, its the only thing that makes sense. Orientation is right.

I'll let you know.

Ken

- - - Updated - - -

Tony are you sure you want to put the ikon bank on your F- mode switch?

Last summer I had mine set up on the Gov switch.

Ken Jackson

Thanks Paul it was the direction that was wrong, now I just need the weather to change but its 8 degrees here this morning. Have 3 birds ready for maiden.

Ken

pvolcko

Cool. Double and triple check the corrections and stick control movements while you have the down time. :)

Tony

Staff member
In DIR mode is where you will set the pitch. I think 4.0 wants 10º, but I'm not sure. It's in the instructions somewhere. But you can't check pitch when the gyros are active, it will be different from your setting in DIR mode. The 8º (or 10º) is so the 3GX knows where that pitch setting is. I alwyas set mine to 8, but I think 4.0 is different. Your flight mode settings (yup, I have a video on that, two actually) will adjust the total amount of pitch.

pvolcko

I never measured my cyclic angles on either heli I setup with an Ikon (or a 7200BX for that matter). I just set it up to be able to use up the whole range possible without binding anything. The flight modes (step 12) will ultimately control how much of the range you have setup on that screen (step 7) will be used. Basic setting will use a small amount, limiting the roll rate possible. Sport a little more, 3D even more, hard core 3D will max it out. You'll notice that the "agility" slider will increase with these setting selections. That agility setting is what is controlling the amount of cyclic throw will be used for full stick deflection (minus corrections for wind, rotational inertia, etc.). If you want to set things up for a cyclic roll rate somewhere between the four presets you can manually slide that agility to a value of your liking. The cyclic gain setting is set by the selection you make in step 11, model size. IT will not vary based on the selections you make in step 12, but you can manually tweak that slider too, if you need to.

Ken Jackson

Interesting so I should go back and give pitch and cyclic full range and trust the flight modes to control degrees. Wow that sounds really scary!

OK.

Top Bottom