I Quit Smoking!!!!!

Tony

Staff member
I have the stainless steel V5. It's the only one they had in stock. I did read that the finish on these are not that great on the other two. Stainless was suggested the wa to go. So if I decide to change the color of this, I will do it myself lol.

I never thought about winding my own coils, I just purchase them. Right now, I"m running a Smok Cartomizer tank, but I do have the Kangar Pro 3 tank with dual wicks. But 3ml is just not enough for that tank. My Smok is 6ml. And with the hit that thing thing puts out, I am going ot need it lol.

Right not, I'm running a flat 3 volts with a low res coil. And this thing is still putting out a lot of vape. I have thought about moving over to wattage and trying it out, but what I have now is working great.

Dammit, I want to wind my own coils now lmao.

RandyDSok

Here is a vid about making a micro coil... this guy used cotton for the wick, but silica also works if that is what you like. This guy also called making the coils an art... I'd disagree, they are too easy to do. Positioning the coil in the proper place in relation to the air hole is as hard as it gets... and that isn't hard either.

Technically speaking for it to be a micro coil... it's around a 2mm diameter coil. I think a nano coil is about 1mm. I've seen several people making a 3mm coil and call it a micro... but they aren't at that size.

If you build one and the vapor tastes burnt... you either don't have enough wick resulting in a loose wick so you aren't getting enough e-juice to the coil OR you have too much wick and it has choked off the coil. In short, the coil is too dry so it gets too hot and ends up burning the e-juice instead of vaporizing it.

Adjust the position of the coil in relation to the air hole your tank or dripping atty has... if you place the coil centered with the air hole, you'll get the most saturated flavor. If your coil is higher then the air hole, it will increase the throat hit and lower than the coil will decrease the throat hit and flavor.

While I know a lot of folks are after that big plume of vapor... that isn't what it's really about... it's about getting the most saturated flavor you can.... so big vapor doesn't always mean big flavor.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tony

Staff member
Yeah, I watched a video last night of how to wind a coil in a small atomizer. I just don't think you get enough of a hit with those. I will start playing around with this after a while. Just need to get bored with what I have first lmao.

RandyDSok

The smallest dripper I've got is around 13-14mm diameter... it does fine but it's not a favorite of mine either. As far as dripping atties... the IGO-L works really well... the IGO-W is close but doesn't taste as good even though it looks like the L model but setup so you can do dual coils if you wanted. I only use the drippers at the house though.

For out and about I prefer the Mini Protank ( I've just got v1's ) with a single coil and only holds 1.5ml ... I carry another two 3ml bottles with me in a plastic AA battery case as well as a few spare heads. NET e-liquids clog the coils pretty quickly as a rule of thumb so I'm lucky to get a tankful through before needing to change or clean the head... with the synth e-liquids you can probably go easly a week before you need to change if it isn't a sweet one since the sugars in them can also clog one up pretty quick.

pvolcko

Wow. I thought you were talking e-cigs here. Not something that looks like it is out of the cantina scene in star wars. :)

Graham Lawrie

Well done Tony:) I have never smoked and don't see the point:) My wife stopped for 2 years and when she got pregnant!!! I know how hard she finds it to stop:)

RandyDSok

Wow. I thought you were talking e-cigs here. Not something that looks like it is out of the cantina scene in star wars. :)

Yeah... the personal vaporizer ( ie PV or e-cig ) shown in that video is a Provari... It's not one of my favorite designs either but it is considered one of the top end variable volt units and the quality is top notch. The output on that one uses a buck/boost circuit that filters and smooths out the voltage to where it is almost like a pure DC output... most of the cheaper ones don't have the filtering and the PWM ( pulse width modulation ) they use almost sounds like a rattlesnake depending on which vaporizer coil you are using. Early variable volt units used old fashioned transformer circuits that are inefficient so the batteries didn't last through the day and had a lot of extra heat to dissipate because of it.

A smaller cigarette sized e-cig is a convenient size but they only last a few hours and can't put out much power so the vapor and flavor is weak. Their battery capacity ranges between about 150mah up to around 300mah ... most only have a 1C-2C output at best. The average vapor usually prefers between a 6w to 9w of power... that means the battery needs to be able to handle between about 1.6a-2.4a to provide a satisfying vape. Since this size is incapable of that... they are used more for on the go situations where a larger size isn't handy but we switch to a larger battery unit any other time.

The next jump in size is called an eGo battery which typically has battery capacities in the 650mah - 1100mah ( there are smaller and larger ones available as well... these are just the typical ones ). These can be straight voltage types where the voltage output is the same as the battery itself, so they put out 3.3v-4.2v. Then they have the regulated types that puts out a constant 3.3v or 3.7v and the fancier variable voltage and/or wattage types. The downside is that the battery isn't replaceable so they are pricey when the battery wears out and can't hold a charge any longer. The up side to these are they aren't too large ( relatively speaking ) and can output enough power that most average users will satisfied with the vapor and flavor. These all have around a 14mm diameter but the larger capacity units can be slightly larger... the lengths vary depending on capacity as well as if they have buck/boost circuits in them or not.

The The defacto standard ones that can provide enough power for all day ( and sometimes into the next day ) of battery use the 18xxx sized lithium batteries. The smaller 18350 high drain type usually has around 800mah and will take a vapor through around 6-10hrs of vaping ( their habit determines how long so it varies ). The most common size is the 18650 high drain which provides around 2000mah... Some of these 18650 can provide 30-50 amps of current but the most common ones are limited to 8-10a. The previously mentioned Provari uses the 18650 if it's the full sized one. There are of course every shape you can imagine and many of us joke about them being light saber like... or something that would please a women... :D

There are also other styles including boxy flat pack battery types ... ones that are made like pipes and just about everything else under the sun.

If someone is just starting out and considering vaping... but they are uncertain. Pick up a disposable one from a local quick stop and just try it out. Don't expect to be blown away with how great they are ( or taste ) but it will give you an idea if they are a direction that may help you stop smoking. If you think they are ok but are not still certain... pick up a variable volt eGo style ( get two batteries, you'll need them ). The eGo is a convenient size that can put out a satisfying vape. If you are certain this is the direction you want to go in... get an 18650 sized unit ( with the lower cost replaceble batteries ) and make certain it's a variable volt/wattage unit.

Last edited:

RandyDSok

If you don't want a light saber... perhaps a gatlin machine gun look is ... :D

itaste134_2.png

... as I said... beware the hobby side of this, it can get you every time... :D

pvolcko

Might as well go the full custom route right of the top. Custom mill one from billet AL. Put a 3S lipo pack in there. Custom wound dual coils. No cotton wicking BS, micro pump into a high pressure electronic atomizer nozzle discharging right into the coils. You'll need a briefcase to lug it around, but it's a small price to pay for a good vape.

:)

RandyDSok

Might as well go the full custom route right of the top. Custom mill one from billet AL. Put a 3S lipo pack in there. Custom wound dual coils. No cotton wicking BS, micro pump into a high pressure electronic atomizer nozzle discharging right into the coils. You'll need a briefcase to lug it around, but it's a small price to pay for a good vape.

:)

:bellyroll::bellyroll::bellyroll::bellyroll::bellyroll:

... and for those actually thinking about using a lipo instead of taking it as a joke as intended ... don't, they aren't as safe of a chemistry even if they can provide more current output... we don't need a new form of pipe bomb :D

RandyDSok

I may take the fun out of it....

...but I blame you for me wanting to buy a newer version VAMO... lmao

I just placed an order for a new v5 VAMO only I got one from the original brand and not a KSD... mine is a Vision brand in stainless steel. Both brands now get pretty good quality reviews... but Vision did make the original and at first the early KSD's were having quality issues. Today, getting a Vision or KSD will likely result in a good quality mod either way... but there are also other fake/clones out there of the VAMO that aren't as good of a quality. A good company will tell or show you which brand they sell... a less reputable company usually doesn't mention it at all.

OKC Vapes ( aka Norman Vapes ) does carry quality supplies... if you do live in this area, you can trust most anything you get from either of their stores... although they do carry some cheap stuff as well ( like all other places )... at least you know what you are getting and there isn't a question about it.

( Darn double posts )

Last edited:

vimy

Congratulations Tony!

Hearing about someone kicking this habit always makes me smile, since I have lost 4 family members to smoke related diseases that I know of.

I can't imagine how hard it is to quit, I have never taken up the habit.

Ironically I have serious health problems because of my lungs, I have an auto immune lung disease, no known cause and asthma as well. Breathing is painful and difficult.

I'm short of breath most of the time and tire easily. You can take it from me, I would not wish any sort of lung disease on anyone. Quitting smoking is the absolute right thing to do.

You've probably noticed your sense of smell and taste returning to normal. How does that feel now?

I have heard that vaping is cheaper than smoking, is that correct?

If so, there is one other pay off...

That means more money for your RC hobby. :)

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:

Tony

Staff member
Thanks for that vimy. You are correct, it's much cheaper to vape rather than smoke. When smoking, you are looking at about $5.00 a pack, and I was a pack a day smoker. So that is $35 a week, or $155.00 a month, just for me. And lets face it, my life here lately has been pretty rough, so I was up to two packs a day, which is $310 a month, just for me. My wife also smokes, so you can double that price.

For vaping, other than letting the "hobby" grab you, which I have done lol, it costs me about $18 every two weeks for the liquid. Now, if my luck continues, I will not be happy. I have had to replace 4 cartomizers in the last 36 hours, but that is all my fault. Actually, only 3. I have had 4 of them in my tank in the last 36 hours. I dropped it at work, and had to stop after work to pick up a new one and get it installed. Everything was fine until this morning when I dropped it again. Then, on my way to work, I didn't realize I hit my button and I went from 3 volts to 6 volts on a low resistance cartomizer that is only good to 3.8 to 4 volts, and burnt the crap out of it. Tasted like ass warmed over lmao. So at lunch today, I had to get another one. The one this morning, I had extras here at the house, but didn't have any with me at lunch.

But all in all, I'm looking at about $25 if everything goes right, a week, to vape. So yes, much cheaper.

And when I was smoking, I never really lost any sense of smell. I could still smell everything. I couldn't stand getting in my own car because of the old cigarette smell, but would just light one up because I wanted one. Doesn't make sense, but it is what it is. Or, was what it was. lol.

And I'm right with you. I have lost many family members to smoking related diseases. This was another huge factor that is keeping me going on this. Trust me, when, during my break, I couldn't hit the vape, I knew that I still had my 3 cigarettes in my console of my car. I opened it up to stick my ecig in there, and saw them. I thought about it for a second, but I really didn't want to taste that again. It's almost disgusting thinking about smoking again. The thought of pulling smoke and all that's in it into my lungs after almost a month of not smoking. Just not what I want to do and that is exactly what I was hoping would happen.

I'm quite happy with vaping although I do want to quit that here in about a year or so. Or at least be off the nicotine. After my break today, I fixed my ecig and after hitting it a couple times, I noticed my heart rate go up a bit. That is what nicotine will do. It was at that point that I knew that I needed to be off of it. And I'm not working towards that goal. I will get there some day, just not today for everyone's safety lmao.

RandyDSok

Tony,

Try out a Kanger Protank 1 or 2... or perhaps a Anyvape Davide tank. They have replaceble heads... they don't "burn" like a fiber filled carto and usually most think they have a much cleaner flavor. Kanger also makes a Unitank but I haven't tried one.

Another up side... when you feel like it... the heads are easily rebuildable. If you order replacements from online sources ( that carry the original brands and aren't clones )... you can get a 5pk for about $6... locally they'll run about $10. The tanks are pyrex... so the cinnamon won't crack them. They hold around 3ml per tank. Because the NET e-liquids I vape clog coils quickly, I usually go for the smaller mini Protank instead...

I also recommend using the wattage setting on the Vamo instead... it will be easier for you to set and forget the output for whatever Ω you use.

vimy

It was at that point that I knew that I needed to be off of it. And I'm not working towards that goal. I will get there some day, just not today for everyone's safety lmao.

Yes, you will quit. When you're ready. Putting pressure on yourself to quit will most likely have the opposite effect, so let it happen naturally. Your vaping method works for you and that's good.

I cannot imagine how hard quitting is, reading about nicotine it has been said it is as addictive as heroin, then there are the additives the cigarette companies put in to make cigarettes even more addictive.

So anyone going on a quitting regime is going to go through withdrawal like coming off any other addictive drug.

Not being able to breathe properly, what ever the cause, is a terrible burden. The damage I have suffered due to illness cannot be reversed and I'm slowly, but steadily deteriorating.

You won't have to suffer any of this by quitting smoking. Good luck for the future mate. :)

I hope other members in RC Help, follow your lead.

Tony

Staff member
I wanted to update this thread to let everyone know that I have yet to pick up another cigarette. I had my final cigarette on the 29th of March. That is almost 2 months now. I do have to say, I LOVE the cartomizers, but they have their drawbacks. If you drop them, they are trash. If you over volt them, they are trash. And I have burnt through quite a few of them. Just primed another one about an hour ago.

It takes about 15 minutes to prime another carto. But for the taste, it's WELL worth it. I did purchase a "clearomizer" which uses the same coil as the first tanks that I got my hands on, but the taste is just not there. Guess I will be dumping money into these cardo's. lol.

And yes, I have REALLY wanted a smoke. Just keep holding myself back.

Top Bottom