600 HK 550 GT

Topgun73

Well that'll be another night as work in the morning and in the evening it's meal and theatre. My brand new tail servo is faulty so sending it back under warranty and ordered a savox servo to replace it with. Then set up the MEMS gyro as previously stated. Have final bit of thread lock to do on frame and then she'll be finally ready for testing.

Smoggie

Which tail servo was this? Some tail servos are 'narrow band' (760us frame rate) and they won't work on a standard receiver, only when connected to a gyro that supports (and is set to) 760us.

Topgun73

Hi Smoggie, doesn't really matter now I've got a new servo on it's way and should be fine fingers crossed. |Helis are far more complicated than fixed wing plane which I've been flying. I guess I'm still in the learning phase.

Tony

Staff member
What is the model number of the Savox servo? Steve is right, if you hook up a 760μs servo to one that requries a 1520μs, you will burn it up. We just want to make sure you are getting the correct servo for the gyro. All we are trying to do is help.

Topgun73

I'm not getting it now I checked again and not the right one. I've been refunded and order cancelled. I really want to thank everyone who has commented. This is tough for me not only because it really the first ccpm heli I've built but I'm a stubborn person that wants to learn. I've taken on board what you guys have said and now looking to get correct servo. This is impacting the speed of the build which in its self is frustrating but I'd rather be safe than have an accident. Oh and Tony.... One of my club members suggested I dial down negative pitch so that if I panic I don't throw the stick down and suck it to the floor. You suggested 10degrees of positive (or between 7-10) would you just suggest I set equal pos and neg in pitch?

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
That's great that your going to take Tony's advice and purchases the right electronics. That's one area you don't want to purchases cheap for that big bird.

Tony

Staff member
What I do is I set the helicopter up with a linear pitch curve and set the positive and negative pitch the exact same (within a half degree). Then, I set my pitch curve to 46 48 50 75 100. This will give you max positive, but only about 2º of negative pitch. But ONLY do this in normal mode. In IU1 and IU2 I always run a linear curve. Same with TH as well.

Topgun73

OK last question on the tail, I have installed servo connect gyro and centered everything. the tail blades and slider are in the middle. IE I've not put any positive pitch in tail blades at all they are dead straight with the boom. And what tightness should I give the tail blades so their tight like main blades or just enough that they will stay straight. tail blades.jpg

tail blades.jpg

Smoggie

You should have some pitch on the tail blades at centre stick to resist torque. The linkages are usually designed so that the part of the lever arm that goes between pivot and pitch slider should be aligned perfectly parallel with the tail boom at mid stick. This gives roughly the correct pitch angle.

The blades should be just tight enough that they can stay horizontal without pivoting down. Main blades should be the same, with heli held on it's side they should stay horizontal but drop if you give the heli a slight 'jerk'.

Topgun73

So as per my last pic you mean smoggy? Slider is in the middle of the tail shaft. Servo centred, or do you think i need to lent hen or shorten the control link to put some positive in the blades.

Smoggie

The pushrod needs shortening so that the lever arm is parallel to tail boom.

I've drawn a line through the arm in question, it should be parallel with the boom and currently isnt:
tail blades.jpg

tail blades.jpg

Topgun73

Ok I see what you mean, so I'll keep the slider in the middle I've where it is in the picture but I need to adjust the control rod so there's some pitch in it to counter the rotational toque. Ok well that's an easy fix ta very much

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and Tony I can't get the mems gyro to work so mate gave me a Futaba gy401 which I've now fitted and seems to be working well. Still not got round to lock tightening frame bolts and link rod supports on the boom but that's it as far as the build. Off to mates tomorrow so he can go through it and check I've not missed anything out. And program the YEP 150a ESC. Beginning to see the light at the end of the tunnel. Cheers Tony and guys.

Topgun73

heil tail.jpg, Smoggie: this is how you meant?
Also can someone confirm for me that looking from front of heli if I swing tail to left the slider goes righ and visa versa.

heil tail.jpg

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
View attachment 16480, Smoggie: this is how you meant?
Also can someone confirm for me that looking from front of heli if I swing tail to left the slider goes righ and visa versa.

:2c: Is it me or does it looks like your tail rotor hub is twisted? Your tail blades aren't parallel with each other. As for swing, Lee has a video in general helicopter chat.

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
My bad. I knew about the counter rotation but I was looking at the blade holders. It just seem some what twisted, sorry.

Topgun73

Cheers fella, my mate was supposed to help but he's about as much use as a one legged man in arse kicking contest. So looks like I'm doing this on my own. Tomorrow night I'm going to go through frame bolts and thread lock them all re attach my tail fin (painted it) re check my pitch and then she's done. To say I'm bricking it is an understatement. Waiting for new fly bar as mate bent mine (don't ask)

Topgun73

I'm getting confused I really need to speak with someone, any one in UK please send me a PM and leave a number so I can bend your ear. Thank you guys for your help with this build.

- - - Updated - - -

image.jpg
How do you like the tail and fins. Should help with visuals.

image.jpg

Top Bottom