600 HK 550 GT

Topgun73

Well guys I'm building my HK550 GT and it's almost done. I'm kinda new to Helis but you got to start somewhere. Build has been OK came up on a few minor issues but nothing a coffee and a think couldn't sort out. I do have to sort out gyro and I'm opting for the HK401B which is a copy of the Futaba one.

I've re painted the rubbish canopy and that's looking great. Almost time to put her up and see how she handles. I'll post some pics up soon as on phone and I'm using IPad at the moment.

Tony

Staff member
Do NOT get the 401 knockoff. You will be drifting all over the place. You are better off without a gyro rather than using that one. Since you are going to run a flybar, get the Assan GP250 (I think it's gp250, but I know it has Assan 250 in the name). It's a MEMS gyro rather than a piezoelectric gyro which is way outdated. And get good electronics. If you cheap out on them, it will be very hard to control. and a helicopter of this size can and is lethal if something fails.

Topgun73

Tony I believe they have made some changes to it so I'll give it a go I've been building this helicopter for weeks now when I get spare time. Almost there and looking forward to seeing how she performs. I'm going to be using 6J transmitter just trying to get my head around programming. Only need to sort out gyro. Any pointers would be helpful.

- - - Updated - - -

2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg6.jpg1.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Also Tony, regards gear mesh I may have to look at this again, I have the clicking on most of the main gear but some seems very tight, Do you recommend loosening the motor again and resetting gears on the high spot I found? I have yet to take out screws in frame and apply thread lock to them and drill out holes on canopy as glassed the side cheeks for the mounting holes as seemed very weak around those areas. As you can see I repainted the canopy to be more visible. I also need to set my blades up and level everything up from the swash up on the head. The swash is level, just mixing arms etc to do.

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

1.jpg

Tony

Staff member
I'm telling ya, that gyro is a piece of crap. It's not good for anything. Get a MEMS gyro at least or check the forums for an old Align gyro that are going for very cheap now. And make sure to get a tail servo that is .08 or faster to match to it. This is a large helicopter and has killed people, it's not a toy. I can't stop you from using that gyro, but I will not help set it up just so it can crash.

Smoggie

As for the gear mesh, it shouldnt feel tight at any point. there should be a 'just detectable' clearance at all ppoints of the rotation.

i usually find the tightest spot on the rotation, fold a strip of note paper double, feed it between the pinion and main gear, push the motor up tight then nip up the screws. This should set a good clearance.

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
I'm telling ya, that gyro is a piece of crap. It's not good for anything. Get a MEMS gyro at least or check the forums for an old Align gyro that are going for very cheap now. And make sure to get a tail servo that is .08 or faster to match to it. This is a large helicopter and has killed people, it's not a toy. I can't stop you from using that gyro, but I will not help set it up just so it can crash.

Hey Tony. Will this gyro work? Eflight G210, If it does and Topgun73 is interested, I have one that I'm not using.

trainrider06

Spartan Quark is the best FB gyro in my opinion, had one on a Trex 500 that I had, that heli was a sweet stable machine!
As Tony says those gyro's from HK have a little bit to be desired....heli looks great though and nice job on the canopy!

Topgun73

Hi Tony, ok I give in. I also have a hobby wing G3 mems gyro shall I use that then?

- - - Updated - - -

How about a G3 gyro it's a MEMS type. I'm fully aware this machine isn't a toy. I'm 43 years old. I may be a noob to ccpm Helis but please don't treat me like some snot nosed kid.

Topgun73

Cheers for the comment on the canopy I didn't like the HK crap canopy so decided to change it. Not only because I want it to look different but also for better visual on the nose of the machine. I'm not quite there on the head set up yet, need to adjust linkages and then do blades. I'm in no rush to put this bird up. I have a second heli a falcon 450 which had previously been crashed I suspect as all gears stripped. Have a friend in Florida who got the parts I needed and sent them to me. Gears are installed and I'm going to level swash etc and reset the head. She'll be ready before the big girl.

Tony

Staff member
I assure you, I was not trying to talk down to you in any way. I just can't stress enough how bad those gyro's really are and how dangerous that helicopter would be with a tail that doesn't hold. I learned in my first year that if you are going to spend money, do it on the tail (gyro and servo). When I was just starting, it was very common to drop $200 on the gyro and servo. Now days, you can get them a lot cheaper.

Ivan, that gyro is a MEMS so it will be better than the HK gyro by a long shot.

And I can't find any info on the G3 gyro. Can you post a link to the gyro's manual?

Topgun73

I've swapped it over but that's all i've done. been trying to sort out another heli but not getting much time to do stuff. cheers Tony for advise.

Tony

Staff member
IT's my pleasure. Keep us posted on how things are going. The setup on that gyro seems a little overly complicated compared to some others, but should be pretty easy to do once you dig into it.

Topgun73

It seemed fairly easy to me but then I've not got any others to compare it with so who knows LOL. It's now mounted and plugged into receiver which I've decided to change. I'm going to use the X9 with V2 firmware. it's been very good as a radio and wouldn't trust it if I didn't think it would be suitable. The programming is very similar to DX9 so i'll try that. Just couldn't get my head around the Futaba 6J.

Topgun73

So I've installed new rc and had to reset servos etc, levelled the swash and put head back on. I've now got to level the mixing arms. Put on the blades and set pitch. I'm going to go for 7degrees of pitch as suggested by Tony and 5 degrees on the cyclic. Getting ever so close now to having this bird read for maiden. Thank you Tony for your help.

Tony

Staff member
When did I say 7º of pitch? If it's in a video, let me know so I can remove that video. I always suggest setting up with 10º of collective.

Topgun73

In your YouTube video (complete flybar head set up) however It's easy to adjust that with the swash AFR so I'll take it up to 10 degrees. What would you recommend for Aileron 6-7 degrees?. I must have been spot on with my head set up too as my zero pitch was out by only .5 degrees. And I checked redundancy about 7 times lol. Now to sort out tail servo and rudder. Oh and my clone had no slop in the grips so I'm guessing there's a lot of differences in manufacturing. That's not to say that this build hasn't had its challenges. For example the frame mounting blocks were off on the skid mounts so had to open holes up a little to fit them on (have Align skids) also found the thrust bearings in wrong way round on one side of the head. Also tail binding which needed taking apart and rebuilding. And last but not least frame is only 47mm wide and finding suitable motor here in the UK was a task. Ended up having to cut a relife in the frame to accept the bigger motor. Having an issue with the ESC now also but I think that it's just programming, friend has programming card and popping to his this week to sort that out. Thank you for your help

Tony

Staff member
Yea, 6º cyclic should work just fine. Put about 35% expo on the aileron and elevator and set the dual rate to your liking.

Top Bottom