Hello! What is good choice according to your opinion?

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
Not to overtake this thread.. but LEE: I just ordered myself a Compass Tracx head.. basically where your Black widow comes from :) So I am excited to upgrade my Vibe to a DFC like design too :D :D :D

Tony

Staff member
That battery is what both Lee and I have used in both the 500's and 600 that we have/had. However, if you can get a 30c, it will not get as hot when flying. Not sure if 20 is enough for that beast. If that is what Lee was running though, it will be just fine.

Below is a very old video that I made that explains the different batteries and meanings as well as a video on matching the motor, battery and ESC. Hope it helps.

Lipo Battery Explained - YouTube

Matching Motor, ESC, & Battery - YouTube

Terrna

What kind of connecter types do you guys use on your batteries?
What made you choose this instead of the others?

Which one would you recommend?

Thanks !

Terrna

Tony, thanks for the video, informative, I have learned something.
Still don't fully understand the 2. video, but I guess I will get to it once I watch it again.
--------------------------------
murankar:
What is "super deans"?
--------------------------------
Questions:
How is a digital pitch gauge compared to a normal one?

I was looking at ALIGN AP800, I was thinking to purchase one.

Since I got the size 500 heli.
What type of screwdrivers is needed to fix a heli?
Which size, what type? Anyone that stands out in quality?

Is it crucial to have a blade balancer, at this time?
What else is there to get?

I already have soldering iron and a caliper.

Recommendations?

Lee told me that this kit would work just fine.
Tool Kit Box Set RC Helicopter Plane Screwdriver Pliers | eBay

Oh, god I have asked so much in the past few days.

Thanks!

murankar

Staff member
Go to a main hobbies.com and do a search on it.

All I know about them is that they are easy to connect and can handle the 55 MPs (approximately) that I can push through to the ESC.

The connector is T shaped and generally molded in red plastic.

Now remember that the type you use is going to be A preference thing. Just make sure you do your research before deciding on which you want to use.

Down side is that you need to know how to soldier so you do not melt the connector or ensure you plug the other half to it before soldering.

Not sure if Lee used them on the one you bought.

callsign4223

Staff member
I use EC3 connectors and really like them. They are easier to solder than a deans connector because you solder on the plug first, then push it into the plastic portion. There is no chance of melting the plastic during soldering.

stokke

I use EC3 connectors and really like them. They are easier to solder than a deans connector because you solder on the plug first, then push it into the plastic portion. There is no chance of melting the plastic during soldering.

I'm in Matt's club :D

RandyDSok

Whan talking about connectors... you may as well ask which ice cream is better, chocolate or vanilla because everyone you ask with have their own opinion and reasons for that opinion. I will say that there are good quality ones as well as generic clones which you may or may not get a good connection with.

One of the more popular right now in the hobby is the Dean's Ultra Plug ( it isn't named Super, although I wouldn't be surprised to a clone named that ). These are claimed to be rated in the 40A to 60A range and have been used in many models up to the 100A range without issue since we typically don't fly at full current all of the time. Dean's also makes one called the Micro Plug that is commonly used on smaller models ( of @ 10A rating or less ). There are a lot of generic clones of these, typically you will find them named as a "T connector" and the quality will vary a lot on these with some being good but many are unreliable from piece to piece. The Dean's Ultra Plug has one advantage that the others don't have at this time... more people use them so if you want to share batteries with others it will be easier to find someone with one that uses these connectors than with the others.

Another connector that is becoming more popular is the E-Flight E3 that is rated at 60A by Horizon Hobbies. They are usually a little bit easier to solder than the Dean's brand and are suppose to be easier to plug/unplug than the Deans though I've heard a lot of people that said the opposite ( I am not one of those ).

Another connector that I'm seeing a growing interest in, and is also a high quality plug like the previous two I just mentioned... is the Anderson Power Poles. The advantage these have is they are a crimp on connector so for people that don't know and don't want to learn how to solder, these will be a good choice. These do have a disadvantage, they require a good quality crimper if you want a reliable connection and the good crimpers are expensive. These are available in a variety of current ratings so you can get the size you want and/or need.

HobbyKing also has a connector they started making a little while back that is becoming popular despite the fact that it is cheaply built ( the plastic melts easier than the good ones ) so you don't want to exceed the rated amps. These are named XT60 and can be found around at various discount hobby shops on the internet. As their name implies... they are rated at 60A but that may be pushing it.

4mm banana plugs are also used on many discount places... I don't have specs on these but I suspect they are rated for well over 60A ( probably close to 80A ). I suspect the quality on these varies quit a bit as well.

Those are just the more popular connectors that I see talked about... I use Deans Ultra plugs myself for anything up to 100A and if I get something that needs more, I will likely use Eflight E5 's. I actually like ( technically that is ) the E3's more than I do the Deans... but more people I know use Deans and I like to be able to share batteries when needed.

Tony

Staff member
As Randy said, the connector issue and what one to choose is the same as what Tx is better, Jr or Spektrum, or Futaba, or Airtronics... There is no clear answer and it all depends on ones personal liking of what they like.

I use Deans Plugs on all of my batteries. I have used these since I have gotten into the hobby and just stuck with them. XT60's are another popular choice as well as what Matt uses. It just depends on what you like when they are in your hands. As Matt states, you have to solder really quick on the Deans because too much heat will melt the plastic and ruin the plug. But after over a decade of soldering these things, I have picked up a few tricks lol.

The Align pitch gauge you were talking about (ar800 I think) is a GREAT pitch gauge. Just set your heli down, put the gauge on the frame to zero it out then put it on the blades. No moving a slider to "eyeball" the pitch. It gives you a reading of the pitch.

The tool kit that Lee linked to (that you posted) is a decent kit, but it's one of the cheaper kits. Let me put it this way, just my Align Allen driver tool kit with 1.5mm, 2mm. 2.5mm, 3mm and Phillips driver was $25. The kit you are looking at is $30 for everything, so the metal is a little weaker than what I have. But it will get you by if money is short.

I would highly suggest spending the money on a good tool kit. If you get a good kit, it will last you for years as my Bolink kit did. I just recently shattered the 2.5mm on a head bolt and decided it was time to replace it. This kit is over 10 years old now. Well worth it to spend more now to be more happy later.

Terrna

Thanks everyone for the input!
A lot of informative information here.

Tony, what kind for tool KIT would you recommend?
Name, brand?

According to the Align website is AP800 :)
Digital one sounds so much easier, so I think I will go for this one.

Just gonna find a good online shop to purchase everything from ^^
Any recommendation on shops?

Thanks!

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
both are great.. I used the seperate ones for a while.. Just bought the "extended" ones. WHatever you biuy.. buy two of them.. and I bought the extended ones.. and the quality is as good as the other ones.. Both will work perfectly for doing anything on your helicopter.. ANYTHING involving hex screwdrivers.

I have both now. The extended ones will fit a drill too thats the only positive.. I dont know why you would need to use a drill with a hex on your heli, but if you do .. lol

Get whatever you think is good. :) No practical difference ... :D

Terrna

Aha!
But then I saw this
ALIGN Web Shop

It comes with a phillips.

I was wondering if you guys have used those changeables.
How do they sit together?
Do they fall out easily or do they hold up good?

murankar

Staff member
Unless your dealing with torque issues like "tiny" :lol: then go with non interchange type. I feel the grub screw would probably let go. But then again it could save your driver.

Could be wrong have been before. This is just my opinion.

Top Bottom