Hello! What is good choice according to your opinion?

BOKI

Hi terrna;Hope you can make the pick the right helicopter for you to fly! I have a Trex 450 SE V2 & it fly's quite & nice like a hummingbird! The best! This is an older helicopter I bought from a friend! He got cancer & only fly's planes now! I use to work with him back a few years ago! I would get new one without a fly bar!

Last edited:

Terrna

Hi terrna; hope you can make the pick the right helicopter for you to fly! I have a Trex 450 SE V2 & it fly's quite & nice like a hummingbird! The best!

Thanks!

I hope so too, but since I'm not too interested in 3D right now I guess I'm fine.
But for some random reason I want a Align heli, as I heard is the best out there :p

Best regards
Alan

BOKI

Hi terrna; I have never used the E Bay site I would have to have someone tell me how it works! There are many RC hobby sites you could buy a nice new Trex from! Also buy one without a fly bar I think thats the way helicopters are going now easier to fly!My next new helicopter will be without a fly bar! THe Best

- - - Updated - - -

Hi terrna ; TH Rc hobby is expensive but with the right helicopter you may really take right off flying! Hope so anyway I am just learning & crashed my first flight! At this moment I only hope to do sport flying & if I ever get better do some simple 3D! I mostly just want to be able to fly safe & keep it in the air for right now!

Lee

Hi Alan,
I bought this kit originally as a kit and bought the components separately.
The frame was from CopterX. In fact i bought a second frame as i was so impressed with the quality of the first one, but as nothing ever needed replacing due to quality issue, i sold the second frame.
I bought the Align motor that comes with the align 500 Heli
The ESC is a Turnigy Plush 60A. They are a very good quality budget esc. It does have a internal BEC but for extra safety i added a Castle Creations 10A external BEC to run the electronics perfectly.
I started out with a belt tail, but converted it to Torque tube. There are pros and cons for both systems. I personally have never had the tail hit and strip gears. If you are worried about that then you can add a little extension to the tail fin to protect the tail until you are happy ie a ping pong ball.
The non Align parts are, the Head, which is Tarot and considered to be made in the same factory as Align, just coming out the back door instead of the front if you know what i mean ;) Its very good quality as is the Tarot FBL unit.
The tail boom, well thats just an aluminium tube. Not much difference.
The base plate is an upgrade to metal, so its better. Make the frame stronger in those inevitable crashes.
The cyclic servos are Turnigy MG930. they are the most commonly used servos on a 500 size hell at a good price. Very strong and reliable.
The tail servo is Futaba. One of the best tail servos around.
The original heli is an Align Trex 500 ESP
The tail is upgraded to the Trex Pro, which is a much better tail. This was the last thing i replaced about a month ago.
I flew it two days ago.

As for payment if you do want it, paypal is perfect. I can say it cost 130euros if that will stop you getting taxed
I'm in Spain so the posted may be the hard part. I will check now to see what the cost is.

If you put some training gear on this and don't go crazy until you understand how it flys, this will be all you need.
Funny thing, i was listening to the latest podcast from RC Heli Nation last night, and the topic was about the best larger sized hell to start with. Without doubt the unanimous choice was the 500 :D
If you have any other questions don't hesitate.
All the best Lee

Terrna

Lee that sounds good, I will consider it.
Please see how much the shipping fee will be and I will consider to purchase from you.

Shipping and packaging material fee, if thats what needed.

Derek

Hey there, Terrna! I just wanted to give my opinion.

First off...I've been a member of this rc forum for a few months now and the people that reply to my questions and comments are very good and very helpful.

Second, I have a DX6i and I have an Align Trex 500. My 500 is my first collective pitch heli and I love it. It has been a real treat to fly. Due to the size of the 500, it does handle the wind pretty well and it is super spectacular on those rare calm days. I've flown the 250 and 450 before and they are fun. The 250 is a bit spooky because it doesn't have the body weight to handle much wind, but it was pretty fun indoors. The 450 that I flew was much better, sounded cooler, and the parts for it are actually pretty cheap. I did get to fly a 600 once. It belonged to a friend of mine and I had a great time flying that 600...I want one now. It's even easier to fly around in circuits and a few loops than my 500, but I love my 500.

My Trex 500 is flybarred. I think the actual name is Align Trex 500e. I believe it's just a base model of the 500. Flybarred, belt drive. I've had my 500 for nearly 1 year and I've not replaced anything on it except I did put Trex 600 landing skids on it. I just think it looks better. I inspect the belt pretty regularly and I still don't see any signs of cracking nor fraying.

I hope my opinion gives you a bit of "food for thought."

Good luck in your decision!

:)

Tony

Staff member
Just to answer a couple questions (seems the members have done most of the work lol), you will have to have 100 posts before you can edit your posts. I think it's 100 anyway. We had people on here that would post something, make someone mad, and then change it before I could see it. Little do they know there is still a record kept lol. So to keep from it, I put a limit on the amount of posts that someone needs in order to edit their post.

As you gain post count, you will have access to larger avatars, post editing, and once you hit 50 posts, you can sell stuff in the for sale section (again, another safety measure from spammers).

It's been answered, but your DX6i will do GREAT with an Align 450, or even Lee's CopterX 500 (same as an Align, just a little different).

Gaba I think answered pretty well on the Torque Tube tail vs Belt. TT is more efficient and belt is more rugged.

As I tell all the members in here, never be afraid to ask questions. And never say "sorry" for asking a question. Other forums will bash people that are asking questions that everyone has asked, but not here. This is the whole reason I created this site. To give people a place to come where they can feel welcome.

We do have a new project that will be starting at the first of the year thanks to Marius. It's the Rc-Help Official Helicopter Project. The helicopter is an Align T-Rex 600 Nitro Super Pro. It's sure to answer a lot of questions and hopefully be quite informative as well. I just have to get things rolling on it.

Terrna

Ey guys, I was wondering if this charger would work with the most batteries for 450-500 size heli?
It is called X-charger B6, I ask this because I already got this charger, and dont wish to buy a new one if it works.

More detail here
X-CHARGER B6 Balance Charger

Thanks in advance! ^^

Side note
Thanks for clearing that up Tony!
So much posts left before edit xD

Derek

I just looked over the spec's for that charger, as well. It looks like that charger will work very well. You asked if it will work for 450-500 size heli's. Just as "stokke" said, the 450's run on 3S and my 500 runs on 6S. I have 6S 3000mAh 70C. As long as you have the appropriate plugs on your lipo's and charger, you should have no worries!

Terrna

May I ask what the C stands for?
Is the battery better with a high C?

Becasue I see some battery with high value C is more expensive than lower value C.

- - - Updated - - -

I think I have decided to go for Lee's chopper.

It will cost 330 Euro for the heli and shipping.
But then I can get a ALIGN T-REX 500 PRO DFC Super Combo for 560 Euro.

What would u have gone for ?=)

- - - Updated - - -

I kinda do want to build my own chopper, but, I'm not sure.
Your opinion?

murankar

Staff member
Take the offer sounds like a great deal. Once you get it just go through it and see how things are connected. Take a lot of reference pictures in case you have to tear it down. Once you build a kit they are all mostly the same.

My first kit was an exi that was 80% assembled from that I was able to figure out the ins and outs. Building my Protos was almost the same with a few exceptions.

It would be better to build yourself but with a deal like lee's its hard to pass up. I would buy it but the wife cut me off. I am done for the near future.

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
+1 on what URi said.. Great deal... Tear it down.. RE Build it ... you know everything was working before.... get it work again.. so you learn and you know that the stuff you are working on is gonna come up! :)

stokke

May I ask what the C stands for?
Is the battery better with a high C?

A simple way to view C rating is that the "C" stands for multiplication.

E.g. a 30C battery with 2200 mah can be discharged at 30 times 2.2 amps. This battery can discharge 66 amps continuously.

C rating applies to charging as well. Most cheap packs can be charged at 1C E.g. a 2200 mah can be charged at 2,2 amps.

A more expensive pack e.g. a 65C 2200 mah may be charged at maybe 5C (11 amps).

Terrna

A simple way to view C rating is that the "C" stands for multiplication.

E.g. a 30C battery with 2200 mah can be discharged at 30 times 2.2 amps. This battery can discharge 66 amps continuously.

C rating applies to charging as well. Most cheap packs can be charged at 1C E.g. a 2200 mah can be charged at 2,2 amps.

A more expensive pack e.g. a 65C 2200 mah may be charged at maybe 5C (11 amps).

Which mean the battery can be charged and discharged faster?
(Suge i elektro greier :D)

Also, what is the point of idscharging a battery?
I think I read somewhere at some time that if you are going to store your battery, its good to discharge it.

Please do explain, if I failed hard, which I probably did.

Lee

The higher C rating means your battery is straining less to power the heli, so it will have a longer lifespan. The C rating for discharge will be higher too, but unless you are in a hurry to get out and fly, always charge at 1C to prolong the life of the battery even more.
If you are going to store the battery for a while then it needs to be at 3.8V to save it from damage. Thats why you have a discharge function on the charger. Some people like to put a few cycles through there new batteries to break them in. This can be down with charge/discharge cycles in the charger. But if you just fly gently and don't discharge the batteries too much for the first 5/10 flights, it will do the same job.
All the best Lee

murankar

Staff member
I liked Tony's explanation.

Think of the c rating as a straw.

If you drink soda with a McDonalds straw it is easier to drink, this equates to a higher c rating. Now drink the same soda with a coffee stir and that would equate to a low c rating.

Oh fyi a 2200mah at 25c is 55.xx amps. Its a tad more than 55 amps. Tony also has a real basic video that explains this topic.

Terrna

Just want to update you guys that I went for Lee's heli :)

- - - Updated - - -

Or is the correct way to write Lees heli?
Correct me :D

Lee

Lee's Heli. Thanks for buying it Terrna. I am just about to post a thread with what the money is going to be used for. :)

Top Bottom