Projects Gaui X3l Build Log

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
OK, I couldn't wait any longer and started my X3L build this evening :). First I started by taking everything out of the box and spreading it out on my work table.
IMG_3504.JPG

Second I like taking everything out of there seal bags and putting them into Ziploc bags so I wouldn't loose any hardware. Once everything is in their bags and labeled, I started on the first phase of the build which Is the cyclic servos mount.
IMG_3506.JPG

Phase 2 is connecting the 2 side frames, battery holder,motor bracket.
IMG_3507.JPG

and tail boom clamps
IMG_3508.JPG

This is a good place to stop for the time being. More to come :).

Last edited by a moderator:

Geena

Staff member
Looking good. Have fun, and enjoy the build. If you have any problems or questions, don`t hesitate to contact me. :)

Tony

Staff member
Did a slight edit to the first post to make it a little easier to read and follow along. Build is looking good so far, keep the updates coming!!!

Admiral

Haven't started my X3 build yet only pulled the parts out of the box about 5:00 pm Boxing day, spent the day transferring Data off my wife's old computer and setting up her new one I gave her for Christmas.

Slow and steady build starts today.

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Did a slight edit to the first post to make it a little easier to read and follow along. Build is looking good so far, keep the updates coming!!!

Thanks Tony. I'll try to keep it short and simple next time. Here's an update. What's wrong with this pictures IMG_3511.JPG it takes the fun of building... All those parts came assembled. Mrs Geena mention that her kit was the same way. My X3 wasn't like that if I remember correctly. Either way it's coming apart to make it's greased and thread lock correctly.

Tony

Staff member
Multiple pictures isn't a problem at all, it just gets hard to read when there is a picture within text. No worries though, I can help out, that's what I'm here for :D

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
After taking apart the assemble parts on the X3L and putting it back together again, I got a little farther on the build last night IMG_3520.JPG

Geena

Staff member
I had mine ready to fly in like two hours after opening the box...LOL. Once I start a build, I can`t seem to put it down until it`s finished.

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Well after working on the X3L. last night I came to conclusion that the tail boom cover is a wonderful thing for the cosmetic side but when it comes to setting the heli up, adjustments and maintenance work that it's just a pain in the butt :(. Now I know why Geena kept her tail boom cover off. Basically you must install all your electronics, set up the heli and fly it to make sure it's the way you like it. Once your happy with the way X3L flys then you must take the tail casing off to install the tail boom cover. They don't give you much room to adjust the tail linkage or belt tension after the cover is on. There's a few things that are different on the X3L that I like compare to the X3 but not much. I'm not really happy with the X3L but that's just my opinion. So for the time being I'm taking a break from the build til I figure out which way I would like to go...tail boom cover on or off. I have to admit the X3L looks sweet with the tail boom cover on but maintenance wise, not so sweet. Will see.

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Yeah it's kinda of a bummer but still it's going to be a sweet heli after it's done either way. It's a Gaui :).

Tony

Staff member
Here is what I am thinking though. The only thing that the tail boom cover will block is the tail linkage. Once you have the tail servo at 90º to the rod and you have the tail blades exactly where you want them, you should never have to touch that rod again. I would get that tail setup and pop that cover on and call it done. Of course it is ultimately up to you, this is just how I would do it.

Geena

Staff member
You don`t have to put the tail boom cover on after setup. I built mine completely, with the cover installed and then did my setup. Setting it up with the cover on is easy. Getting to cover on in the first place....that`s a different story. It`s hard to get the belt fished through the tail box with the cover in the way, but it`s not impossible. You just have to have patience though, because it`s going to take a few tries to get it in there. What I did to make it easier, was I bent a hook on the end of an old 450 fly bar, and used that to pull the belt through the tail box.

Tony

Staff member
Of course you used a flybar rod to pull it through lmao. You sound just like a heli pilot Geena hahahaha. I think I would have used the wire from a utility flag since I have a ton of them and I can reach all the way through, but that flybar thing is a fantastic idea.

Geena

Staff member
I would have used a piece of titanium tig welding rod, but they too expensive to waste like that. Hahahaha.

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
I had to sit back and gather my thoughts and quit whining lol. I ended up using a coat hanger to pull everything through. So far it's all good. I'll finish putting the tail servo, motor, esc and the AR7200BX in tonight. That will get me a little closer to the end. I'll post a couple of pics this evening :). Thanks Tony and Geena for your input. I appreciate it.

Tony

Staff member
It's all good Ivan. Some days you are just not feeling it and have to step away. Trust me when I say I have been there more than once lol.

Top Bottom