Forum Updates

Lee

Ok it seems to be a Google chrome thing on Mac thats not working. I just tried it on Safari and it worked fine.

Westy

LEGEND
cleared my Cookies and history ... rebooted and still no difference. using Win732Bit on Chrome Version 27.0.1453.110 m
Google Chrome is up to date.

Tony

Staff member
Lee, it's a cookie issue and I'm trying like hell to find the cause. I thought I had this beat, but it appears that I have not. I have gotten rid of all themes but one, the fire theme (sorry for anyone that doesn't like it, I have to do it to narrow things down), and we are still working to find the cause.

It's coming up to the time where drastic measures are going to need to be taken. I don't want to do this because it means a week of solid work on the forum and on the server. But, it is what it is to make this place run as it should.

Lee and Westy, when you are seeing these issues, do me a favor. Go to RC-Help.com - My Page Title and tell me what it says in the URL bar. It should ONLY say what the link is. If you hard refresh the page, and it shows anything other than that, please let me know.

Everyone, I'm very sorry for these issues and I have no clue where they are coming from. Just know that I'm working on them and will not stop until they are resolved. For those that don't like the fire theme, I do apologize. It was either the fire theme or the default theme, and I dont' like white backgrounds lol. Plus, "fire" is the default theme for the forum.

I want to thank everyone for their patience.

Lee

Ok don't know if i did that right. But i just tried to edit my post and it gave me that blank screen again that i had before.

RandyDSok

Tony, you don't need to apologize for anything ... well, except for making me look at this blasted Fire theme... lol

I was hoping to test to see if my Win7 32b with Chrome would replicate Westy's issue... but by the time I got back to the forum ( so there would be new posts etc ) and I'd mowed the lawn ( before it rained yet again )... Tony made the switch to the themes, so I'm uncertain if this is a valid test since some settings on the forum have changed now.

Having said that... On my Win7 32b Chrome and IE10 ( both up to date )... I was unable to recreate the issue. Clicking the links for the latest new post or the last post work as they should for me. A quick re-test on Win8 64b Chrome and IE10 also still work with the Fire theme change. I had cleared the cookies for the forum prior to testing in all of the latest tests I've run since Tony had mentioned it wouldn't be helpful if I had kept the old ones that were known issues.

Lee

Ok i just tried to post the URL that you asked for but it went to the blank screen agin. Tried to send it as a PM same thing. Blank screen.

Tony

Staff member
Yup, you have a bad cookie on your computer again.

I'm making plans to do some drastic changes to the forum. Which I hope will cure the issues. Have to make some phone calls first though before I can to secure another server.

Tony

Staff member
It's only temporary, but I have removed the ads, facebook and some other things from the forum for testing. Please let me know if you see any changes in how the forum is acting.

Tony

Staff member
Okay, just to keep you guys updated on what is going on. I have completely updated every ad on the forum. I don't think the code in the ads had any affect on what we are experiencing, but it's worth a shot.

As I posted above, I have taken this forum down to one theme. Love it or hate it, the forum is probably going to stay like this from now on. Running that many themes made a LOT of work for me and this way, I only have one to go through. With as busy as I'm getting, and as busy as the forum is, it's the logical thing to do.

I have completely removed the store from the forum as well. This is just testing. If I find that the store is the cause, one it will be astounding since the code was clean, but two, it will give me a place to look as to why. and you know me, I'm all about the why.

So please bear with us on this, we are working on it. I'm trolling every page of this forum trying to make it mess up again after each change. If it does, I keep looking. If I can go 24 hours with no issues, then I know it's resolved and I will change my cookie code so that it will update everyone's cookies with the new ones. We are getting closer to having this whooped!

Tony

Staff member
Lee, Randy, somehow I missed your posts above. Lee, you posted it and I can see that it has the weird link in it. as stated above, I have made changes, so if you would, clear out your cookies and cache one more time and lets test some more. Trust me, I have cleared my cookies and cache about 30 times now and I'm getting REALLY tired of putting in passwords on every friggin site lmao. For this I do apologize, I'm just trying to keep from having to do a complete reinstall.

Randy, Changing themes doesn't mess with the files that are being called for, just the "look" of the forum. When you go to edit a page, it will always use /editpost.php no matter what theme you are on. When you are on the forum home page, it will always be /forum.php and so on. So the theme should have no difference on if things are working or not. and I want to thank you for helping out with this.

RandyDSok

There are several cookie utilities that allow you to select which cookies to get rid of... or all. The one I used on my main home computer is called Cookie Monster and is available for free from Cookie Monster - An utility for managing cookies of most usual browsers: Internet Explorer, Firefox, Google Chrome, Opera & Gecko - AMPsoft

I've used others that work as well... but that one is what I found recently and allows you to search the cookies by key words, create a list of cookies you wish to keep and other features.

On my Netbook, I hadn't really setup/kept any website passwords since that isn't what I use it for... its primary function is to test wired/wireless network issues when I'm working onsite for my clients. So keeping cookies etc wasn't important. Having said that... I still used a utility that cleans up all temp files, sessions, history, cookies ... etc... it's called CCleaner and in one click I cleared it all for all installed browsers... It's available for free from http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner . I recommend this util for any Windows computer, run it every time before you defrag your system. It also has a safe to use registry cleaner to clear out old invalid registry entries... and a few other utils as well.

Last edited:

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
Well last night I posted a new tread in the lounge about my brakes going out on my pick up truck on the way home from the lake yesterday. Called Brakes! Well it was there when posted it anyways! Well I thought for sure one one would at least coment on it. No response! I just looked in the lounge. My tread is missing. Don't know where it went but its not there. Is this what your looking for has far has errors? Like I said earlier. I pad with safarie!

RandyDSok

Well last night I posted a new tread in the lounge about my brakes going out on my pick up truck on the way home from the lake yesterday. Called Brakes! Well it was there when posted it anyways! Well I thought for sure one one would at least coment on it. No response! I just looked in the lounge. My tread is missing. Don't know where it went but its not there. Is this what your looking for has far has errors? Like I said earlier. I pad with safarie!

FYI ... the term is thread .... not tread

One way to remember it... it is a string of posts about a particular subject

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
FYI ... the term is thread .... not tread

One way to remember it... it is a string of posts about a particular subject

Sometimes you can't help how spell check spells things! And I can't allways chech up on it! Lol especially the apple check! Lol so give me a brake!

Tony

Staff member
Randy, I will look into those programs. Do you know of one that will let you see what is placed in the cookie? I'm sure I can do it in an editor, I just haven't tried yet.

Sam, I'm not sure what happened to that post, I have never seen it and I have not heard about anyone else having this issue. Sucks about the brakes though, I lost my brakes with 8500 gallons of unleaded behind me. It sucks.

Jesse, I'm not seeing any flashing of the ads. This is a brand new ad code from google that I just put on the forum yesterday. Er, this morning. Can you by chance take a short video of your screen when it does it?

Well, it seems that none of my work arounds have worked. I think i'm left with the one thing that I didnt' want to do...

RandyDSok

Sometimes you can't help how spell check spells things! And I can't allways chech up on it! Lol especially the apple check! Lol so give me a brake!

Sure... blame an innocent little ole' 'puter... :D

ps... brake and tread sort of goes together... so one brownie point for that one.. lol

Tony

Staff member
Guys, I have just spoke with my hosting company, and I'm down to last resorts. No one can see anything wrong, nor can they replicate the issues. I have quite a few members here that are having issues, but that doesn't do any good if the techs can't see it. Because if they can't see it, they can fix it.

I'm going to have a lot of things updated on the forum and things may get worse before they get better. I hope not, but just trying to let you guys know what is going on.

Randy, I know you don't like this theme and I may have a solution that will REALLY make you mad lmao. I'm going to revert this forum to a complete default theme, white background and all. The issue is somewhere and I just have to find it. And to do that, I have to make changes and see if it helps.

Oh, and sam and randy, don't make me turn the hose on you two lmao.

RandyDSok

Randy, I will look into those programs. Do you know of one that will let you see what is placed in the cookie? I'm sure I can do it in an editor, I just haven't tried yet.

Sam, I'm not sure what happened to that post, I have never seen it and I have not heard about anyone else having this issue. Sucks about the brakes though, I lost my brakes with 8500 gallons of unleaded behind me. It sucks.

Jesse, I'm not seeing any flashing of the ads. This is a brand new ad code from google that I just put on the forum yesterday. Er, this morning. Can you by chance take a short video of your screen when it does it?

Well, it seems that none of my work arounds have worked. I think i'm left with the one thing that I didnt' want to do...

Cookie Monster can do it for Moz and IE as far as I know.... Chrome uses a binary format and you'd need something else for that. Nirsoft has several browser utils including browser specific cookie utils... see Freeware Web Browser Tools Package

PS... Some protection software's wll "false" on different Nirsoft utils such as the password readers and possibly others... they aren't malicious but they are considered a security risk because of what they can be used for by nefarious users... For a tech or a user that needs them, they are invaluable

- - - Updated - - -

Tony... I like pickin' on you about the theme... it's not all that bad though. I also use a theme similar to the default on another forum already.

Top Bottom