Feedback on Forum Colors

Tony

Staff member
Yeah, but Celia is just angry. I know because you told me she beats you. Yup, I said it :biggrin1:.

No worries guys, I'm still working on a very mild theme. Unfortunately, me and mild don't play well together. It starts out that way, then my ADD brain kicks in and I'm like "oh, that would be sweet here" lmao. Yeah, it's getting harder.

Check out the default theme and tell me what you would change. That is the stock theme that came on the forum. Blue and white, that's it.

RCD

Glencairn Drone
The forum would look awesome if it was black but instead of the red, it was green!

Tony

Staff member
There you go Travis. Click on the Green template and let me know what you think. The borders are a little more fancy on the green one than on the others.

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
My vote is on the red! My favorite color anyways! Lol alot easer for me to read in the dark cab! All the colors are cool cept the default. To bright in a dark cab. But red is the best! Just my two cents ha ha!

Tony

Staff member
I have always been partial to dark forums, and as a driver myself, I always got on the internet in my sleeper with the curtain drawn, and just my little reading light on. So I loved the black forums. Because of that, most of the themes will be black. I will be installing a brighter, more professional theme as the default, but you will always be able to change your theme.

As with Travis, if you have a suggestion, let me know and I will see what I can do. More than likely, I will be able to change it. I have found some tricks to edit the "non editable" sections. just takes a while.

And Travis, I'm glad you like it. Let me know if anything can be changed to your liking, or anyone elses liking for that matter.

RandyDSok

I absolutely hate having to do graphic or layout design... but I've struggled through several in the past with the last one being done on a forum. Perhaps what I did to select color schemes on that one can be something you can do to help you on this one...

On the forum I was tweaking... I already liked the general look. So my goal was mostly to just add some different color selections for everyone to select from... but all were based on the original look. The worst was coming up with an original logo for the site... I still don't like what I came up with, but but its a done deal now and the other admin, dev's and moderators selected it from the few designs I came up with.

The first thing I did was download all of the graphics for the topic/post headers, banner logo area background and icon sets. Then I played with the hue, saturation, contrast settings on a single graphic piece until I came up with a color that suited me. The hue settings is what changed the actual color... the other settings were simply done to tweak the result some. Once I found an amount of settings to change... say the original hue setting was 0 and I increased it by 20... I applied the same amount of change to all of the remaining graphics pieces. Remember to write down what each change ( hue, sat, contrast etc ) you made because you'll need it in the next step.

Next I downloaded the CSS code that controlled the text settings and other HTML based colors... I created a graphic with the same colors in it as the CSS contained... then I applied the same value increase/decrease on the hue, sat, contrast as what I used on the graphics. I then used a color tool to sample the resulting colors and wrote down what the HTML color values where originally and in the changed portion... I used a text editor on the CSS to find and replace the original values with the new values.

Finally I uploaded all of the changes into a theme scheme for the forum. I ended up with 7 total color schemes, the original and 6 new color sets.

You can see the results at UBCD4Win Forums ... There are still areas where the resulting colors aren't exactly to my liking, the one that stands out the most in my mind is on my Maroon scheme where one of the highlighted tabs is a bit brighter of a purple/maroon than I care for... Still, I think overall they came out well and they are for the most part complimentory to each other ( ie the colors ).

Oh... and the price to have me go through that hell again... let's just say it's an absurb number and leave it at that.... :D

Tony

Staff member
The default theme on that forum is somewhat like I'm looking for. I'm looking for something more eye catching though. The white is just a little overwhelming in my eyes. But, I have to realize my eyes are not the only ones out there. That is where I'm running into the issues. But after a while, I will get it.

as for the absurd price, I totally understand lol. Once you get one theme done though, you know where to edit all of the different codes and can go a little faster the next time. but like I said, it will get there. It will just take some time.

And as for the logo, I have been trying to come up with a new one for almost a year. This one I created when the site was first purchased. and again, I need something catchy up there. I just don't know what that 'something' is lol.

RandyDSok

My own PC's desktop as well as my Bionic ( Android ) cell phone are also mostly dark... so I completely understand where you are coming from on that subject. I also think the logo you have is just fine... but I understand what you mean when you say you aren't completely satified there... its one of those "this is nice but not quite what I think I want... if I could only figure that out" type of thing on that...

So really it wasn't about the issue that the forum designs I ended up with were light or dark or any of that... I was trying to decribe how I went about altering the other graphics and colors across a complete set of graphics and HTML color codes. I did it by incrementing all components color values equally.

Take any icon you may have... increase say the hue by 20... now do that for all other graphics and HTML color codes. Otherwords, change the hue by 20 on everything. Do another set and change it by... say an increase of 40... then 60 etc. This should give you many different color sets and the colors they end up with should be complementary to each other... as long as the original set was complementary. Then select from the ones you like or tweak them as needed.

I used hue as the example of which value I was changing... it could be any value... say just alter the blue channel... or red... or perhaps the contrast only. The method I used was to apply the change equally across all graphics going into a color scheme.

Paulster2

I am El Taco!
I was flipping through the colors and discovered I really like the green one (for some stupid reason). I usually don't like green (prefer red, infact), but this really catches the eye. I think the only thing which could be done better with it is to use the same background image you are using with the red, only make it green (do the same for the blue). I also see you muted the background image on the red and like it better that way. It doesn't detract from the forum itself that way. All three of these look really good IMHO.

Tony

Staff member
You are correct paul. I put a black overlay over it and set it at 25% transparency. And I'm working on changing that background to green and blue. Do you think it's the double border that sets it off? Also, the red I'm using is a toned down red and not bright. I think its ( 170, 0, 0) if I remember correctly. I can go up to 255 on the red, or any other color for that matter. But let me know about the border. I can do just about any border you can think of. I was just playing around on the green lmao.

Paulster2

I am El Taco!
I like the double border now you have pointed it out. I think it mutes the green without dulling it ... if that makes sense, lol. I would ramp up the red and blue (255 on each) and make the double boarder without fear of overpowering things.

Tony

Staff member
Red has been maxed out, and the double white border put in place. This is on red only. I want to make sure people like it before I go and do all this work to the blue lmao. There are only about 50 templates I have to edit to make the few changes you guys see lmao. Let me know what you think.

Tony

Staff member
I don't want to admit it because I really dislike the color, but I like the green the best as well. Something about it just works. The forest green with the white border is great. On the thread bits (the border around this post) has a little green mixed in and it helps to not be over powerful. Travis, great idea little bro. If anyone has anymore suggestions, post them up. This is what the forum is all about. Letting the members have a say in how it looks.

Paulster2

I am El Taco!
It doesn't work near as good on the red as it does on the green. I would change the red back, actually.

Tony

Staff member
Lets see what some others have to say about it. It's a big change and people will post about it lol. Post up people!

Top Bottom