DX8 First Flight w/ mCP-X In The Wind

Tony

Staff member
As promised, I took some video (crappy quality, but video nonetheless) of me flying the mCP-X with my new DX8. I have yet to dial in the settings, but this is like a whole new helicopter with this Tx. I need to dial in a little more D/R, and just a hair more expo, adjust the positive pitch a smidge, and this thing will be great. As stated, the video quality is not that great, the wind was horrible coming over the house behind me, but I didn't crash. What a change lmao. I'm used to crashing 4-5 times a battery. And yes, I did flip it inverted. Just after switching to battery two, but it was a hand full, so I didn't do it again lmao. Now that I have 6 more batteries coming, it's 3D learnin' time!!!

Let me know what you think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzfncSFcIgM

Last edited:

Morelight

Fearless Freep
Thanks for getting this vid up Tony, good to see you flying and having fun with it. My mcPX was just shipped from Edmonton, so I may not get it this week, but early next instead.

I'm going to enjoy flying it when it does get here, it handles really well even in some wind. I think a 120 or 250 out there today at your place would have been harder to fly in that wind??

Tony

Staff member
if you are talking about the 120 fixed pitch, there is no way lol. The wind would have took it to Kansas by now haha. A 250 may be able to handle it if it was flybarless. 450 same story. 500 and up not a problem. The fact that I could do it with this little guy is amazing. I remember the first time I took this thing outside. I waited for a bit until it wasn't that windy, and while I was flying, the wind started to pick up, and this thing just sat there. It went up and down like you saw in the video, but everything will do that. It's called translational lift. Just wait until you get it, you will love it.

And it's a great feeling being able to get out and do some flying again. I'm trying to get some motor and ESC choices for my planes that I need to build so I can toss them in the sky as well. I only have 4 of them I need to put up I think lol. You can rest assured though, there will be more videos!

Tony

Staff member
Cool! How dose it feel to get back in the saddle? Lol

Lovin' it bro. This Tx has a feel that makes it much better handling than the 6i could do for some reason. Maybe it's just a physiological thing, but I didn't crash, and I usually do lol.

Lee

Nice to see you back in the air after all this time. Get rid of the tail fin. It handles the wind so much better. :D

Tony

Staff member
Nice to see you back in the air after all this time. Get rid of the tail fin. It handles the wind so much better. :D

Yeah, I thought about that after the flights. There was once I had it left side in and the poor tail motor was giving it all it had lmao. Unfortunately, I had to put a drop of super glue on the tail fin since I broke a tab on it. so, it has to stay on there for now.

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
Good flying! great TX! :) You'll get there on flying tony.. lol jk jk!!!

I just got back flying 8 batteries... Man! I crashed atleast once a battery, but man! Hurricanes and stall turns.. backwards.. it was a stress reliever! hope you get the package soon. then you'l get to throw around your bird even more. :)

and 10-15 mph wind is ok... for mcpx.. brushles wil handle more... tony.. i found a great way to set up pitch travel. manual will say 70 70.. but on turnigy batteries, do pitch pumps.. if the tail looses, reduce... till tail doesnt loose at all.. then do inverted pitch pumps... same thing..

then when you have those values, reduce them 5 percent both ways... Bert Kammerer did a video on this, to get the best setup and the most out of your bird..

aileron travel can be 110-120 percent. you'll have an awesome bird! :) :)

Lee

As soon as your batteries start to lose there power, that tail will not hold for toffee. I put a hyperion battery in there and wow what a difference. Full pitch punch outs and the tail is still facing the right way. :D

Tony

Staff member
That is why I did the pitch pump, I wanted to see what I needed to do to the settings. It only blew out about 1/4 turn which is much better than the settings I had in the 6i. Aileron and elevator travel was actually in low rate during this video. High rate needs more work on the expo to tame it down a little, but I'm sure it will flip twice as fast as it did.

the 300mah batteries should give this thing more headspeed since I don't think the 25c is enough on a 200mah battery. The guy that purchased my DX6i had some 300's and there was just a touch more head speed. I really liked it. Just have to play with it until I get the perfect setup, then I will upload the file here to the forum for everyone to use.

Morelight

Fearless Freep
Tony do your settings posted in the Micro Forum sticky for dx6i still apply now? I'm not sure what you mean by "blowing out the tail" (I should order more tail servo's???), and "pitch pumps" ---->= in idle up mode full travel rapidly on the collective?

Tony

Staff member
Just went out and put two more batteries through the mcpx to setup the pitch, dual rates, expo and anything else I could think of out there. I think I ordered the 6 batteries at the right time. Now, neither one of them are lasting longer than 3 minutes. Two crashes, both while doing inverted pitch pumps, both way the hell out in the field lmao.

As for the settings, I raised my 100% dual rate expo to 45% and left the 70% at 30% expo. Seems to be perfect when flying with full throws. Pitch pumps were a different story though. I'm now up to about 95% on negative, and 60% on positive. So my swash plate is not quite setup correctly. But, it will pull it's self out of anything with those settings. If I remember right, I extended the links 3 turns per another article. I may need to do some work on the swash, but if it's doing okay, then I'm going to leave it alone lmao.

Tony

Staff member
Tony do your settings posted in the Micro Forum sticky for dx6i still apply now? I'm not sure what you mean by "blowing out the tail" (I should order more tail servo's???), and "pitch pumps" ---->= in idle up mode full travel rapidly on the collective?

What I mean by "blowing out the tail" is when you go to full positive or negative collective (as seen in the video), the tail will not hold. There is not a servo on the tail of the mcpx, it's a direct drive tail motor with a 3 axis gyro built into the board of the heli. If you hit full stick and the tail moves at all, it's "blowing out". When I first got the heli, it was blowing out so bad that you would lose control cause it would go into an uncontrollable piro. That was until I found out I had too much pitch. The v2 that you should be getting will have a more powerful board, and shouldn't do it as bad.

As for the settings, as long as the pitch is around 70%, then yes, they are correct. I had one and I am not sure where it's located that had the pitch at 125% and I was blowing tails out all the time.

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
Ha ha ha ha I have way to much going on. If I crash it will lay in a heap till everything is finished! Lol I've got to find out if my ar7200 rx is compatibull or not first!

Tony

Staff member
Is that the Rx that has the 3 axis gyro built in? If so, I want one lmao. Well, I will need a helicopter first though... In due time...

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
No that gyro is a ar7200bx or something like that. GABA knows witch one it is? The one I have is the first model they came out with. One has the rpm sender for nitro apps and mine was for electric models with out an rpm senser. Both are designed for helis!

Lee

AR7200BX as in (Beast X) is what i ordered $240 from the UK. Cheapest place i could find it.
Just been out flying my MCPX tonight but it was a bit windy. I would be hovering inverted then need to give full collective to stop it hitting the ground. I took video and will check if its worth uploading now.

Tony

Staff member
haha, I did some of that today Lee. It was great. Full negative pitch just to keep from hitting the ground lmao. Love it!

Top Bottom