ESC Did I get the wrong esc?

Walt

Im building a 250 quad from myrcmart.

x KK 2.1 Flight Controller (With Display) 0.00% USD19.99
4 x RCX 15A ESC Brushless Motor Speed Controller (SS Series) 0.00% USD25.96
1 x Multicopter Power Distribution Board (1-8 Connection / Blue / 45x45mm & 35x35mm)
- Color Substitution (if out of stock): Yes. RCX03-369 (Power Distribution Board in BLACK) 0.00% USD0.99
1 x RCX H250CF-3K (DT Version) FPV Quadcopter (Carbon Fiber / Barebone Frame) 0.00% USD24.99
2 x Propeller Mount (Φ5mm / CCW / H1806 / Silver Bullet)
- Color Substitution (if out of stock): Yes. Silver Color 0.00% USD3.98
1 x RCX H1806-6 2400KV Micro Outrunner Brushless Motor (4 x Motor / 16 x 5030)

Here are the specs on them
Continuous Current: 15A
Burst Current: 20A (10 Seconds)
Battery Cell: 4-12NiMH NiCd / 2-3 Li-Po
Weight: 16g
BEC Output :5V/3A (Linear Mode)
Size: 40*24*8mm (L*W*H)
MCU: Atmega
Suitable SimonK Firmware: tp.hex (if you want to flash it by yourself)

Tony

Staff member
It says those can be flashed to SimonK so I would think they would be fine. Not sure how to flash them though, if you even have to.

murankar

Staff member
I don't know much about quads but what I do know is that you might want to replace the KK 2 board with a naze32 or open pilot (I think that's what its called). I'll get corrected if I am wrong. I am not sure what ESC requirements are needed for quads.

I think Afro through hobby king works well enough to get started but you might want something better. Bruce Simpson on RC model reviews does a lot of reviews on budget end stuff. He has done a simple test review recently and I don't know which escs he used.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Forum Runner

Tony

Staff member
I have some SimonK 12a on mine. We will see how they do. And yes, openpilot, aka CC3D is supposed to be a good board. Lee is testing out the 32 and is really liking it.

Lee

Walt

I have the second ones the RCX07-212 can I flash them to SK firmware? What makes SK better? Also can I power the FC with one of the ESCs if so do I need to disable the other three ESCs?

Lee

Yes you can flash them.
They react much faster to throttle change, so making the quad more stable.
These ESCs have linear BECs so you don't need to disable any of them. Only Switching BEC have to be disabled, only leaving one to power the FC.

Stambo

I think I have to slightly disagree with Lee here.
The KK2 WAS a great board but being 8bit has been surpassed by the far superior 32bit Naze32 and many others.
Naze32/Flip32 will fly ok on a mini straight out of the box and is what I put on the shopping list for anyone that asks me.
They do need a PC to tune but it's really not that hard to get them close.

Those ESCs can be flashed with SimonK, although BLHeli seems to be the go these days too.
I strongly suggest you do it, it makes a huge difference.

I didn't see a beeper on your list, almost a requirement I would suggest.
Something like a KK2 beeper is good, something LOUDER is better. :)
These things are really easy to lose, even long grass can hide them well and it is not easy to remember exactly where you went down when flying FPV.

Last edited:

Walt

Well I already have the KK2.1 Im going to use it. Its my first quad and I think Im gunna keep it simple the KK2.1 came with a Piezo buzzer is this what you meen?

Lee

I think I have to slightly disagree with Lee here.
The KK2 WAS a great board but being 8bit has been surpassed by the far superior 32bit Naze32 and many others.
Naze32/Flip32 will fly ok on a mini straight out of the box and is what I put on the shopping list for anyone that asks me.
They do need a PC to tune but it's really not that hard to get them close.

Those ESCs can be flashed with SimonK, although BLHeli seems to be the go these days too.
I strongly suggest you do it, it makes a huge difference.

I didn't see a beeper on your list, almost a requirement I would suggest.
Something like a KK2 beeper is good, something LOUDER is better. :)
These things are really easy to lose, even long grass can hide them well and it is not easy to remember exactly where you went down when flying FPV.

No one is debating that the Naze/CC3D etc are better than the KK2.1.
I was just reassuring Walt, that the KK2.1 which he already has will work well.
I have just set up 2 quads with KK2.1 boards and both fly perfectly well.

The KK2.1 comes with the piezo buzzer. I use them on my Naze board.
I know the KK2.1 board uses the buzzer as a low voltage alarm, but not sure how you can set it up as a lost model alarm.

As Stambo said, BLHeli is the new kid on the block as far as flashing your ESCs.

Stambo

No offence intended Lee, I figure for the price of the 32bit board and how much better it flies it would be a good investment.
Yes the KK2.1 will be adequate, as far as lost model alarm, I think from memory the beeper on the KK2 beeps on arm and disarm so all you need to do is arm and disarm and there is your lost model alarm.

murankar

Staff member
Take the props off for setup. PLEASE! So you can tell what direction stuff is spinning wrap a piece of tape around the shaft and stick it together. This will leave a nice little tap and helps with spotting rotation.

murankar

Staff member
No problem, just making sure you know. Some of us know how dangerous its but still fail to take that measure.

Top Bottom