Projects Derek's RCH Edge 540 v2

EyeStation

Great Flyin Derek. I did the same mistake with my Edge, soft throw rods. Needless to say, I saw the slack while still on the bench. That 1700kV IS a screamer isn't it? I did not expect the combination of speed and agility and had minimal time to pull out of the dive it went into. Glad to see you missed the pond too!

Tony

Staff member
As soon as I watched your video on the V2, I knew those rods were going to bend. But, it was late and you had already flown it so posting up would have done no good. If you want to run rods that long, I would either brace them with carbon fiber rods, or use the tubes that are made for them to go through.

I told you it would have power lmao.

Derek

Thanks guys! Yeah, that new motor/prop combo was more than I expected but it was exactly what I wanted....my own preference. it was an awesome launch and I'm just thankful that the only damage was to my pride and the prop. Mod's will be made and we'll try again.

Tony

Staff member
Yup, after my experiences with a 1300kv on a 3s, I can only imagine that 1700 on a 3s lmao. That thing I'm guessing is faster than my Habu which is EDF! Just smoking fast. Get those linkages fixed, move those servos back and fly it again. This plane is a blast.

Derek

Ok. That is done. I removed the weak linkages. I moved the elevator and rudder servo so that they are 4 inches from the elevator hinge. I added my usual control rods...2-56 threaded rod. Very strong push rods. Because I moved the servo's to the rear, my push rods are much shorter...therefore making them more rigid. Next flight should be much better. I also noticed that the CG is much better with the extra tail weight. I'm excited to try again. I'll have to wait until Wednesday or Thursday to fly again.

Tony

Staff member
That's some good news Derek. This plane likes to be tail heavy from what I found out in my 5 flights that I put on it lol. And the more tail heavy I made it, the more fun it was. One thing to also remember, if you do make it tail heavy, it will hover much easier. It will also harrier easier as well.

Can't wait to see this plane in the air. I can't thank you guys enough for testing this plane out and giving me feedback while I was working on other things in life. The feedback on this plane has been amazing, and so far, I have not had anyone that didn't like it. I might just have to work on another version of this one hehe. I have it in my head.

Derek

That's some good news Derek. This plane likes to be tail heavy from what I found out in my 5 flights that I put on it lol. And the more tail heavy I made it, the more fun it was. One thing to also remember, if you do make it tail heavy, it will hover much easier. It will also harrier easier as well.

Can't wait to see this plane in the air. I can't thank you guys enough for testing this plane out and giving me feedback while I was working on other things in life. The feedback on this plane has been amazing, and so far, I have not had anyone that didn't like it. I might just have to work on another version of this one hehe. I have it in my head.

This plane has been a lot of fun, Tony! Thanks for making up the plans and making so easy to get.

Wed or Thurs!? Where are your priorities, man? There's an eager viewing public waiting! :)

Sorry buddy, but I can assure you that my priorities are very much in line. I have to work my usual 12 hour shift tonight and tomorrow night, so there is no flying time until Wednesday/Thursday. It's a bummer, for sure, but that's life. I'm really stoked about flying this plane with the servo's towards the rear and with the side force generators.

EyeStation

I'm really stoked about flying this plane with the servo's towards the rear and with the side force generators.

Side force Generators!?!!, Let us know the size of them when you got em' on there. This should be an interesting add on to the slower flier.

Derek

I have them mounted on the plane already. They are roughly 2 3/4 inches tall and roughly 4 inches long. I'll see if I can get a picture uploaded before I go to work.

Sparse

i liked the high mid air stalls they were neat. i dont think i will fly plane between cars and helis im booked, but i do enjoy watching you guys fly them. put some floats on the wings then you wont have to worry about the pond.:single_eye: LOL

Tony

Staff member
Derek and I have been talking about the winglets (side force generators) on this plane, and once we find the best looking and performing design, I will be adding them to teh plans.

EyeStation

Looks like they belong there. Nicely done. Is there some theory behind the size and shape? Does it run to cover the ends of the ailerons too? Can't really tell by the pictures, but the pictures do say alot.

Tony

Staff member
His do not cover the ailerons. The ones in the plans will, and I will have the ailerons cut at a slight angle to keep from binding on them. As for a theory, no, not really. You want something that the air can go over smoothly, but still look really good in teh air. I will probably do a design like his, but reversed. Or, something completely different just to be different hehe. You will just ahve to wait and see what I stick in teh plans... It's going to be fun, I know that.

Sparse

Derek and I have been talking about the winglets (side force generators) on this plane, and once we find the best looking and performing design, I will be adding them to teh plans.

I was thinking pontoons you know for water landings, well in derek's case pondtoons LOL.:encouragement: but in all due respect guys it took alot of time to plan, build, and make them planes. good job both of you very very nice.

Derek

Looks like they belong there. Nicely done. Is there some theory behind the size and shape? Does it run to cover the ends of the ailerons too? Can't really tell by the pictures, but the pictures do say alot.

There is no theory behind the size and shape. I just free handed the shape. As far as the size, I just wanted some SFG's that didn't look too big and didn't look too small. This was the result. No, they do not go to the ends of the ailerons. Maybe they should. I dunno.

His do not cover the ailerons. The ones in the plans will, and I will have the ailerons cut at a slight angle to keep from binding on them. As for a theory, no, not really. You want something that the air can go over smoothly, but still look really good in teh air. I will probably do a design like his, but reversed. Or, something completely different just to be different hehe. You will just ahve to wait and see what I stick in teh plans... It's going to be fun, I know that.

I think you should do something different, so that we have different options to review.

I was thinking pontoons you know for water landings, well in derek's case pondtoons LOL.:encouragement: but in all due respect guys it took alot of time to plan, build, and make them planes. good job both of you very very nice.

I don't think I'll be putting pontoons on my 540. I'll just work harder at staying away from that pond, lol. Whew!!! Thanks for your comments, Sparse! This plane has been a lot of fun.

Here it is again, Tony! Multi quote message.

Tony

Staff member
You got it Derek, I will do what I have in my head. Need to shut my computer down and swap HDD's and I will start working on them today here at work. Seeing as I'm not going to get anything done this week lmao.

And this is fantastic about the multi-quote.

Derek

Ok, as many of you know, my initial maiden flight of the RCH Edge 540 Profile Plane v2 didn't quite work out well. My elevator and rudder push rods were just too flimsy. I have replaced them both with sturdier push rods and went out for a flight today. Because I live in the middle of my neighborhood, the wind is calm. The story was quite the opposite once I got to the open space of my flying field. I almost packed up and went home...but....I decided to plug in the battery and give a toss anyway. It did fly and it did fly well. The new push rods made a tremendous difference. I do have some flight video. I can't guarantee how good the video is. I haven't looked at it yet. Unfortunately, my usual camera person (my awesome wife) is working today so I had to recruit the assistance of my Dad. He's not quite as good behind the camera as my wife but he is always willing to try and help.

I'll go and review the video now and I'll share what I did get recorded. Hopefully it's not too bad. Like I mentioned above...it was rather windy and the flight was short.

Derek

Ok..here is the video. It's very short and you can only really see the hand launch and a little bit of flying. My Dad was my replacement camera person (wife is at work) and he just isn't as experienced at recording a small plane flight. He did the best he could and I appreciate him coming along and trying.

The temperature was 49-50 degrees and the winds were coming from behind me at 10-12mph, gusting to 20mph. It was just a bit much for this plane, right now. This flight was mostly to test out the new CG and the upgraded rudder and elevator push rods. I did do a few aggressive maneuvers but that was mostly to test out the tail section with the new push rods. After I was happy that the new setup was working, I decided to just land the plane and wait for another day.

Yes, I took my Trex 500 along with me, with intentions of flying it, too....but I decided not to fly it due to the wind gusts.

it was a short day at the flying field but it was also successful because I tested out the tail section on my RCH Edge 540 v2, had a nice landing, and went home with nothing broke, lol.

Here's the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7Ougd7mFuo

Last edited:
Top Bottom