Projects Derek's RCH Edge 540 v2

Derek

How many of you know that Tony made some changes in the Edge 540 Profile Plane plans? Well, I have downloaded the v2 plans and I've started that build. The leading edge of the main wing is using the wrap around method. The main wing sits into the profile fuselage much better. The plane really looks great. I'll upload pictures soon.

Derek

Although my v1 isn't "entirely" what I wanted, I'm still having fun with it, for sure. It's just underpowered. The v2 will be much better. I really like the changes that Tony made to the plans.

Tony

Staff member
You say the V1 isn't what you wanted. Post up what you would change and I will do my best to put them in the plans. The members are what keep this plans growing and make them better.

Derek

ok, I need to clarify my previous post. Sometimes "text" is confusing and misleading. :)

I said that "my" v1 isn't entirely what I wanted because the motor that I currently have on it just isn't powerful enough to do what I want it to do. I certainly think that if "my" v1 had a motor that had some "punch", it would definitely be what I wanted. There is nothing wrong, at all, with the v1 plans. It's just that "mine" is underpowered.

Now...I finished the v2 build last night and it looks great!!! I'm just a bit behind on my projects and I still haven't ordered the new motor yet.

Tony, please don't think that the RCH Edge 540 v1 plans were disappointing, because the plane came out great. I have over 20 flights, although a bit under-powered, with my v1 and I'm still having fun with it. I'm looking forward to getting the v2 completed and showing it off for everyone.

I do have one suggestion to help make the build a bit easier. The part of the wing that has the "fold" to make the Kf airfoil. I think the plans have a 1/2" strip of paper that gets removed from the foam board so that the fold can be made and allow the wrap-around. I found that the 1/2" isn't quite enough. I cut another 1/4" of paper away to allow the foamboard to fold around the wing. The finished wing is gorgeous and smooth. I'd like to thank Lee for sharing the idea of wrapping the KF airfoil around the wing, instead of just layering the foamboard...and I'd like to thank Tony for adapting that idea to the RCH Trainer and the RCH Edge 540 Profile plane. It really makes the leading edge look great.

I hope I was able to clarify my thoughts.

Rc-Help - Your Rc Information Source! and it's staff and members are Number 1 and I dare anyone to say otherwise!!!!!!!!!!

Oh, I nearly forgot....I'm also going to start experimenting with Vortex Generators or Wind Force Generators...whatever they are called, too.

Last edited:

Tony

Staff member
I think you mean "Side Force Generators". They can be good if you are doing a lot of knife edge flight and can help the plane track straight. Just make sure they are perfectly parallel to the fuse.

And yes, that was clear lol. I was hoping (yes, hoping) that there was a flaw that I could improve upon. But you say that it's great, so I will keep it as is.

And yes, on the wing, you do need to cut a bit more paper away to make a clean fold. I found it to be 7/8" to be exact on the trainer, and if you compare the v3 to the edge plans, you will see that I have put it in the trainer plans already.

Because of this, I need to actually make the KFM parts longer (along the chord of the wing) to allow for the extra material being folded. When I fire up the program, I will make this change. Unfortunately, I don't have any of those programs on this computer (still have not had time to put them on here after the reinstall of the OS) so I can't do it while sitting here. Otherwise I would have it done pretty quickly. Just give me time. I just got word that my life may be getting a little easier after it gets a lot harder here soon...

Derek

Yes, I meant Side Force Generators. I want to learn to do knife edges and I really think this plane can do it.

Tony

Staff member
I know this plane can do it. Here is a trick. If you are flying upright, and this ONLY works going from upright flying...

Aileron right (flying left to right), add left rudder

Aileron left (flying Right to Left), add right rudder.

When you give right aileron, you always give left rudder. Left aileron, you always give right rudder.

You don't need side force generators, I can assure you that. But, they will help with very slow flight like people do inside buildings.

I need to just say I QUIT and take the time to build this thing. Your making me want to fly. And I have not flown in a long time.

Derek

If it would help you out, PM me a mailing address for you and I will cut out the pieces and ship it to you. I'll pay the shipping. That way you can have the pieces then just do some trimming and dry fitting, then glue it together. It really does fly well.

Tony

Staff member
Thanks bro, thats not necessary though. It only takes a few minutes to print out and cut the plane. I have the foam board, just need the time. I will get it don esome day. lol.

Derek

Ok buddy. I just thought I'd throw out the offer. I hope you can get one built. Take care Tony!!!

Derek

Ok....finally, I just ordered the Exceed RC 2215 1700kv motor and a 40amp esc. I probably could have gotten away with a 30amp esc but I decided on the 40. I've ordered from Hobby Partz before and their shipping has been pretty quick. My v2 Edge 540 should be a great deal of fun with this hyped up motor.

Derek

I just got an email notification from Hobby Parts. My ordered motor and esc have been shipped. I imagine I'll get the parts by this weekend. Awesome!!! I have the servos already.

Derek

Ok, I got my motor and esc today. Very excited! Then I ran into a bit of a snag...the motor has the shaft coming out from the wrong end and has a bolt on prop mount. I didn't think this would really be an issue until I just tried to install the motor to the plane. That rear shaft is rubbing on the inner foam of the profile, as well as some hot glue that got squeezed into the joining edges of the profile. This is not going to work. Can I cut this rear shaft off without damaging the motor or can I slide the motor shaft so that it comes out the front?

Any ideas?

Tony

Staff member
You need to cut the foam away where the shaft goes. I would not suggest cutting the shaft, but it's your motor and you can do it if you feel it's the best way to do it. Use the bolt on prop adapter. The only bad thing about that is you will not be able to use a spinner with an APC prop. I can't anyway.

Derek

Thanks for the reply, Tony! After further inspection, it wasn't the shaft that was causing me issues. It was the rear part of the motor that was rubbing on the motor mount. I simply solved that problem by drilling the center hole bigger. Problem solved and everyone is happy!!!

I just got done installing the electronics and setting up the dual rates and expo. This plane is ready to fly tomorrow (Saturday). I'm gonna take my camera out to the garage and make up a bit of a video to show the new plane.

I'll have that uploaded soon.

EyeStation

Nice Video Derek. Can't wait to see today's flights.
You made the point again about using 4 instead of 3 servos. Is there any chance Tony might show us how to rig up the 1 servo aileron configuration?

wolfman76

If it is same setup as my extra 300 you just mount the single servo upright in center of the fuselage into the fuselage and have 2 pushrods going out diagonally from the servo horn to the ailerons

Top Bottom