Dans Trex 550 Pro DFC videos

danhampson

whats very surprising graham is that even with the HS @ 1850 its still got pop. i like it as much @ 1850 as i do at 2450. Once ive changed the tail blades im going to try some FFF and flips and stuff.

another 5S flight to sort out the elev nod.

you cant really hear the wind in the video but it was quite gusty

i flew a second pack for 5m10s and replaced 1764mah giving me a usage of 5.7mah per second.
i have 2 5s 5000mah batteries. 80% use of 5000= 4000mah / 5.7mah = 701second (11m40s) approx flight time.

ive just ordered some 95mmtail blades and 700 f3c landing skids, the skids are a lower profile than the stock 550 dfc skids so i will replace just the front skid to elevate the tail a bit to give ground clearance for the larger tail blades.

After watching the video back I should have tryed raising the tail gain a bit. Might give it a go in the morning, weather permitting.

Last edited by a moderator:

danhampson

I did a little more low head speed testing this morning with some lower governed speeds

UI 1 1650
IU 2 1750
IU 3 1850

95mm tail blades and 700 f3c skids arrived and have been fitted, so i willbe doing some testing with 5s and 6s in the morning with the larger tail blades.
Im really enjoying flying at these lower speeds its like flying in slow motion :biggrin1:

danhampson

shes all rebuilt after my recent crash, im going to go over the gov auto bailout tonight and check that its enabled and the ramp up is quick enough and hope to maiden tomorrow, if my iridescent sticky back plastic turns up in the morning.

hers a sneak peak of V2

IMG_20140711_131931.jpg

IMG_20140711_131931.jpg

danhampson

thanks Cam. im really getting into the low head speed thing.

I went to the field yesterday but it was a bit windy for me so got some footage and made a short intro for my videos, this flight is from this morning and has the intro on it. Let me know what you think of the intro please.

So far im really impressed with the NHP blades they seem to be alot quicker on the cyclic and have more pop on the collective, than the stock align 550mm blades. They are going to take a bit of getting used to.

damhdearg

I'm getting tempted to try those blades especially because of the price. If you said they also sound good/loud Id be sold lol. Hard to tell on video.

The intros cool. The good points are the camera angles and showing your set up. The music fits too. The last clip of the heli flying away as the text comes up is a cool touch.
The only downside would be the length maybe? People can skip the intro after seeing it a few times of course but that seems to be a common complaint from people in other vids. Like just making some of the clips shorter and snappier?
Good going tho, I hate to criticize when I haven't ever made anything like that but hope you see it as constructive.
Great flying too, the rolls and flips are looking smooth, like your managing the collective through the flip and roll.

danhampson

thanks for the comments guys. I think that you are right about the length Cam. i will have a play around with the intro at the weekend if i get time.

4 Flights from this morning

cml001

Need some new footy bro! I've been enjoying them.. Post up! I really dug the low headspeed stuff as I've been experimenting with it as well.. We got the same setup except the ESC.. Well I'm in on iKon & u Brain.. Same thing. With minimum overhead I can get 2450 on the high side.. Are u about maxed out at the same? Wish there was a 15T pinion available for this.. without changing the main gear I guess that's where we r stuck.. 35-3600 was what I had thought the target headspeed should be on the high.. Just short of it. But honestly I suppose the 2450 is plenty.

danhampson

Thanks cml001, ive got a bit wrapped up in fixed wing at the moment. im really loving the low headspeed over normal HS. ive set my gov up like this, iu 1 1850 (for 5s), iu 2 2350 (6s), iu 3 2450(6s) i just have to try to remember to switch to iu 2 straight away when flying 6s. and to be honest i love running her on 5s i just need to get some bigger 5s packs the 5000mah are right on the edge for cg 6000mah would be alot better.

cml001

I use a 5500mah plus I strap my rx 2s 3600mah to the main.. Kinda piggyback them.. And the CG is pretty good.. Been better if I could have got the ESC closer to the front.. Motor will not allow for it since the ESC is in the frame. I land on a 5min timer.. How long do u get on flights with the low headspeed?
550PRO DFC Build Complete!!
The CG is barely off.. I have to have the packs way forward.

Last edited:

danhampson

ime flying mine on 5000mah 6s but they have to be pushed right forward to get the cg right. ive even heard of people flying 5800mah 6s but i do perfer a lighter bird.

even with the talon 90 theres not alot of room for that under the battery tray it sticks out of the bottom lol.

cml001

Yeah. I originally tried mounting the 120hv under the tray. But it stuck out too far for my way of thinking.. A good crash could have damaged it.. So my OCD wouldn't let me keep it there.. Lol.. Thought about try'n the 5800mah packs from glacier.. But the pulse have been soo good to me.. I didn't think $20 cheaper was enough incentive to get them... Plus they have been outta stock for a minute.. But I've only heard good bout them.. May try one if I catch them in stock.

Top Bottom