Dans Trex 550 Pro DFC videos

danhampson

got to make hay while the sun shines mate, you know what the winter is like (even though its worse for you).

Im going to try and get through another couple of packs in the morning, I need more batteries.

danhampson

I just flew one pack this morning, concentrating on inverted hovering with a little bit of inverted forward flight. I had another brown pants moment at around the 4 min mark.

trex 550 flight #26 - YouTube

im hoping to get another 2 packs in the morning again

Happy flying all.

Last edited:

Lee

Nice mate,
So you gave positive instead of negative at the 4min mark?
I did that yesterday for the first time in ages. Really makes you need to change your underwear LOL :D

danhampson

Yeah there was a slight loss of altitude so i gave it some pitch and it was the wrong way. Just glad I caught it. I had the shakes for about an hour after that flight.

Going to try to fly 2 packs in the morning if my nerves can stand it. Some more inverted and reverse flight.
I feel like I'm making progress quite quickly at the moment.

danhampson

thanks Ken.

only had time to put one pack through but had some fun. reverse and inverted practice with some grass cutting at the end.

Last edited by a moderator:

danhampson

I've been checking and oiling the bearings and shafts every 4-6 flights, inspect the gears, links ect for wear every flight day pre and post flight and I plan to re-grease the thrust bearings and oil the motor around the 30 flight mark or closest Friday (night off work).

I'm a bit anal about preflight checks and maintenance. I would rather when she goes in it was pilot error not poor maintenance.

danhampson

i wasnt going to upload this video (abit boring really), but Tony put my on a guilt trip (only joking Tony).

This is a maiden (if you can call it that) after servicing and a radio change (futaba T8J). The flight was short due to my stick tension being too loose and there being a few people walking dogs on the field.

Ive set the tx up so that the HS's are as follows

Nor 2250
IU1 2250
IU2 2350
IU3 2450 (not alot of headroom at this speed)

And my pitch curve is linear +13/-13 on all modes

Ive adjusted the stick tension and hope to get a couple of flights in the morning.

Tony

Staff member
you do know my middle name is "Guilt Tripper" right? lmao.

Looked really smooth. And great job when that guy came walking by. You would think he would go behind you, but NOOOOOOOOO, Right in the flight path...

danhampson

Everything was in tip top shape when I inspected and oiled/greased her.

That's one of the reasons I fly early in the morning. Not as many people about and the ones that are usually stop for a chat and give me lots of room.
I've just ordered another couple of 30c 5000mah batteries hope to be getting a lot more flights in over the rest of the summer.

danhampson

just a bit of floating around getting used to new TX, ive adjusted the stick tensions and am pretty happy with them now.

danhampson

flights 36 & 37. really getting to grips with this bird ive tried some more new stuff piro flips (more like piro rainbows) which didnt really work, lost orientation half way though the flip (no crash but a change of underwear was needed).
And tried some piro circuits, they are very messy but the basics are there (need more stick time and batteries)

stokke

Nice maneuvers there, Dan :D I better stop wasting time building birds and get back out flying, or I'll fall way behind ;)

danhampson

thanks Marius.

So much to work on, so little time. trying to get as much stick time in as possible, things are starting to slowly come together (the hundreds of sim hours are paying off).

i got a bit un-nerved in flight 37 when the wind took her off to the right, the amount of speed she picked up was unreal just took a deep breath and didnt panic

Im enjoying this bird more than any of the others ive got/had, its just got awesome performance and power and is so much easier to fly than my smaller helis and the fact that i can fly in harsher wind conditions is a bonus.

danhampson

Re: Dans Trex 550 Pro DFC videos 5S

flight #38

last week i ordered a couple of batteries and ordered the wrong cell count (5S). So after doing some calculations and a lot of research i decided to keep the batteries and try flying at low head speed.

so my calcuations for HS are as follows 18.5v (5s) x 850kv x .9 (efficiency) x 16 (pinion) / 112 (Mgear) = 2022

gov settings

nor 1850
iu 1 1850
iu 2 2350 (this speed and above aren't possible with 5s so the gov runs 100% flat throttle)
iu 3 2450

before the flight i reset bank 3 and then reduced the overall cyclic gain by 5 points.

theres a slow nod on the elev in hover so i think im going to reduce the elev D gain and see if that help, my phone was on charge at home.

i forgot to record how many mah went back in the battery, at the start of charge all cells were at 3.85v after a 5m10s flight.

over all i like the feel of the heli at this head speed but have not pushed it yet to see if the tail holds as at the moment its on stock tail blades and has a poor ratio of 3.85. with some simple mods i can fit larger tail blades on to compensate for the low ratio.

Top Bottom