copter, plane noob here

gravybird

hello, I'm new to the rc world, bought my first 3 channel copter in the mall two years ago, flew it until it melted:), than just recently got a "Blade MCX", and a "super cub" trainer plane (foam), and in three weeks have replaced almost every component on it. Really looking forward to moving up through the helicopters, next one to be a collective pitch.

Tony

Staff member
Welcome to the site gravybird, glad to have you here. If I may, I would suggest a 4ch fixed pitch helicopter as your next one. it will be a much easier transition into forward flight (FF) than having to learn that, and everything else that comes with a CCPM helicopter. However, if you are set on jumping into the collective pitch world, Like I did lol, we are here to help you every step of the way.

The best lesson I can give you is move along at your own pace. don't let anyone tell you to use two packs, then move on. If your not ready, your not ready. However, that is a double edged sword. Once you get into hovering, you will not want to do FF after your first crash. But sometimes there comes a point where you have to move out of your comfort zone, and push yourself a little.

And if you don't have one, get a simulator. It will save you thousands in repairs. again, welcome to the site.

gravybird

Ok thanks for the info:) I have been eyeballing the blade sr rtf, it says it's a good transition from fixed pitch to collective. Now I'm a little confused. What do you mean by forward flight on a fixed pitch? I also heed your advice on a simulator, after watching the crash videos on here instead the YouTube videos with experienced pilots is a wake up call to me. I know nothing. :)

Tony

Staff member
When you are flying a coax, the FF is rather slow. And if you try to push it, it will go into what's called the "Toilet Bowl Effect" and is hard to get back out. When you get into single rotor systems, the FF is much faster and can get away from you pretty quickly. This fact is even more true when you are talking about CCPM. They are very twitchy and very fast compared to the FP heli's.

Although the Blade helicopters are good, and I own the mCP-X to play around with, I would not get a 400 sized or even a 450 size. If you want to get into CCPM, I would suggest a belt driven Align clone. My favorite of all time is the HK450GT as you can tell from all of my posts. The Pro version may be the same, but I have only owned the TT version, and I'm having a lot of issues with the gears.

So if you want to jump into collective pitch, you are the one to make that call. We will help you out no matter what you decide to do. But I do highly suggest the HK450GT or HK450GT Pro. The EXI Pro is good as well since they more than likely come from the same plant.

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
The clones are good TO START WITH.. ESP with the parts

If you want to go into a quality bird cheap (er) than align BUT same quality... Try the tarot 450. The parts come from the same factory.. How I know.. I have some parts of it now and the quality is at par with align (name brand) and price is half or less. Parts ship FAST. And you can find everything at ac-rc.com or hobbywing.

I started with the EXI pro v2 belt too . Torque tube (TT) is what I have now.. Belt helps with a lot of tail toiches and is forgiving in gear repair costs... There isn't any.. Lol. Then when you get better at flying get into TT...

The mcpx is like a right of pass (jk!! Lol)... But is a must have ;) .. IMO.... Cause it is your real life simulator bird.. Helps you get over the fear of inverted flights and light 3D.

Honestly... I had to replace every shaft and bearing on the exi bird with align (brand name) before I could get consistent good flights with it. But it was not the case with tony I think.

Then I didn't know about tarot. But now I do. I just ordered their parts like three days ago again.

I have gone through a simms transition as you. I went to a honeybee fp v2 after my coax.. But I would stay away from esky.

If you wanna pick fixed pitch (fp) go for msrx or the 120 sr..

Collective pitch.. (CP).. Go for tarot 450 (for bigger) or mcpx ... Nothing in between is good enough IMO.. :)

gravybird

so after watching the video on the blade sr, and the radio that it comes with that has been programmed to be slower, and easier to learn on. would you guys recommend to skip that one, and get the mcpx? Tony, I beleive it was your youtube series that I stumbled upon that led me to this forum, I recognize your nightrider 6i. Also do you have any recomendation on a simulator that would work on a mac? what brand is the hk450 you speak of, or a website:) holy smokes a ton of new info to digest, glad I found this place. Thank you guys!

Tony

Staff member
The hk450gt is on Object moved. And I will let some others chime in as well. Don't let that mcpx fool you though, it's a beast to fly if you have never flown cp before.

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
My first heli was the blade SR120 it took me a couple of weekends but it's easy to fly. If you can find a large room or like I did joined a club and flew in a school gym last winter. Great place to learn a gym! Lol

gravybird

It was a great morning for flying my super cub plane. Actually flew it thru a whole battery cycle without crashing :) but as usual both the plane and copter are in their respective boxes waiting for parts.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1321823885.779734.jpg

Last edited:

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
That falcon gives me the honeybee v2 hibbeejibbys... ! Lol

Mcpx as tony said is a handful but in the end the best purchase you gonna make in Helis...

I used to think the same till I saw many new people learning fast on it.. I know only by word of mouth.. :)

Tony

Staff member
My issue with the SR is the cost. If you click on the home tab, and check out the "Cheapest Helicopter Build", you can see that I can point you in the right direction to get everything you need for $200. But, if you already have a Tx and a charger, then I can point you in a direction to get an even better one like the HK450GT. Remember this, the bigger the heli, the more stable. I'm not saying to jump into a 500 or 600, but a 450 is going to be more stable and react a little slower than a 120 or the mcpx.

With that said, if you are hell bent on getting a blade heli, get the mcpx. I was able to get mine from www.hobby-lobby.com for $161 shipped with a discount coupon. worth looking into.

gravybird

ok, ya I read your write up on the home page, and noticed the part about the bigger it is, the easier it is, and I totally understand that:) thats where my confusion comes in... the SR is 10" bigger than the mcpx, and also comes with a transmitter that has been programmed to be a little more forgiving than a regular one. hahaha I'm lucky I found you guys, my brother and I were going to immediately get the 450x to do some crazy aerobatics. More like throw our money in the garbage:)

Tony

Staff member
I guess I should explain why I am not a blade fan over the mSR and mCP-X. Everything on them is made of plastic, including the blade grips. Everyone that I have talked to that had one, then moved to a 450 has wished they got the 450 first, and never got the blade.

Like I said though, this is purely my opinion. You will have to make the ultimate decision on what you get. I love my mcpx, I loved my mSR, and I really loved my HK450GT. Give me time to figure out why this EXI Pro TT keeps stripping gears, and I'm sure I will like that one as well.

No matter what you get though, we will be here to help you out. It's just what we do :D Even if you get the SR hahaha.

What does everyone else think of the Blade helicopters? Chime in!

gravybird

ok, I checked out the link to the HK450gt, and what I found was kits... I'm not positive, but I think thats way over my head now:)

Tony

Staff member
You would be surprised. When something is "Ready To Fly", that doesn't mean to charge the battery and fly. That means that everythign is there to fly. You still have to go through the heli and adjust everything and check each screw. When you build a kit, you are able to purchase the parts that you want to use, and know work. The heli comes mostly built, including the head. From HK, you will have to put the head and tail on, but from XHeli, there is even less work to put it together. But again, you will have to go through all of the screws and adjust each setting and each link.

And building a heli will give you the experience of working on them, and what each part does on the heli. If I had it to do over again, I would not get the E-Razor 450 RTF, i would get the HK450GT.

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
If you are going for a 450 size. I would strongly steer clear from the blade stuff. It's TOOOOOOO over rated. I saw one guy at the hobby shop buying parts for it.. And he ended spending lot more than I did on a similar crash.. Now I wasn't there when it happened, but I know if it was metal like my 450 it won't have disintegrated on a hard crash.

Secondly like tony said. Dont go for rtf 450.. What happens is , you'll crash (that's just gonna happen , so might as well be ok with it and smile when it happens.. Lol ;) ) , you will have to open it and repair it.. If you didn't build it from the get go, you'll be scared to even touch it ,( I would be) .. It does give the beginners a chance to start faster, but it ends up taking the same amount of time in total, cause you will be needing more Time figuring out what everything is called and how it fits once you open it.. I set up my own 450.. Tony and some other awesome people here literally walked me through it all... Of you find my YouTube page (same name as here) you'll see how I posted videos and people responded as soon as they could to help me. I have my own threads I started with the issues I had. But hey throug all that I learned a lot and am confident now in my build atleast.. Flying ( lol) not so much still.. Haha

These are my 2cents.. At the end of it all you decide what you like better... :)

gravybird

ok, that does make more sense to build it from scratch:) so if I buy the dx6i, and the hk450gt, what else do I need to go along with it... batteries, motors, chargers, servos?

Tony

Staff member
The motor and servos in the thread below are the same that I would suggest, and what I run on my Pro. I would get the 40a Volcano series ESC though, not the 30 just to be safe. And the battery needs to be a 3s, 20c, 2200mah pack. Should be about $12.

Give me some kind of idea of how much money you have to work with. I can put together a really good package for you that will get you started.

Rc-Help - How To Build The Cheapest Rc Helicopter

Top Bottom