copter, plane noob here

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
The only thing to add to those servos there on that thread is that you can go for digital servos... Hxt900 servos.. They are cheap and apparently work VERY WELL even with flybarless systems. And go digital on tail ...
As tony said, if you have a budget... You can custom fit your heli with what fits your budget.. :)

Tony

Staff member
Just allen wrenches, and a phillips screwdriver if I'm remembering correctly. You will want an exacto knife for trimming that may be needed as well. But you can use just about any knife.

gravybird

Tony, I don't have a ton of extra cash:) I was kind of liking the SR is only 200$ with the transmitter. So where would I be with your hk recomendation , and the 159$ for the 6i transmitter? I'm kind of guessing I need to exclude the price of the 6i, for this to make sense.

Tony

Staff member
That will depend on how you wire it all up. If you get an ESC and battery with the same connectors, then that part is out of the way. Most esc's and motors will have the bullets soldered on them as well. If they don't however, or you want to run Deans like I do (and have since 1994 without issue), then you will have to do some soldering.

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
Don't forget pitch gauge and blade balancer.. :)

Now there is a good to have tool but you can get it of you got some extra cash.. A pair of digital vernier calipers.. But not NEEDED per say.. It's a good to have precision tool. :)

Soldering is minimal!

You also need double sided tape. Blue loctite, a little silicon grease/ fast bearing oil(available for cheap at lhs), ca glue (Id needed) and zip ties. Some heat shrink (available for pennies on HK) and a lighter... ;)

For your hex tools... Get good quality ones once and for all. I use maverick ones.. They are an investment. Saves you a lot of pain.. And a lot of work!! Believe me!! I know! You can get align set .. It's 17 bucks.. And they are all you will need.

They are all mm ones.. You will need two 1.5 ones (I think) .. That's exactly all you'll need like seriously !!

Last edited:

gravybird

Ok I have two questions on some acronyms. Is lhs local hobby shop? And ESC when talking about batteries? I haven't been able to figure that one out:)

gravybird

Hey tony, do you know what the total cost of the hk kit with everything I need to get it airborne is going to be roughly?

Tony

Staff member
It really depends on where you purchase everything, and what heli you go with. If you have $250-$300, I can set you up with a killer heli. But could possibly do something for less. If you can give us a budget, that would help us out a lot.

Tony

Staff member
That I doubt, unless you can find one hell of a deal on it lol. If you buy one used though, be careful cause there are still some out there that need to be sent in cause of a defect that was recalled. But I will do some searching to see what I can come up with...

Tony

Staff member
After further checking, it seems that Spektrum has put a crackdown on their radios and it's pricing. When I got mine, I did so from - The Barn Floor - Dirt Cheap RC. They had, by far, the lowest price of anyone out there. But, they have stopped selling them. So you are looking at about $210 plus shipping for a DX6i and Rx. The helicopter alone is about $50 plus shipping from HK's USA warehouse, then there is the motor ($13), ESC ($18) Gyro ($12-$20) Battery ($13) Servos ($12-$80)

As you can see, it can add up quickly. For some reason, I thought you had already purchased that Tx lol. I will sell you mine, but the price will not be any cheaper than new with the mods to it lol.

gravybird

Haha ok figured as much. I think I need to get the simulator thing figured out first, and get the 6i purchase out of the way. Than I can start building a decent 450 kit.

Tony

Staff member
I'm selling it cause we are in a bad way. With the radio, Rx, backlight, and KR mod, I'm selling it for $250. Works like new, and it's the model AFTER the recall. But not the DSMX model. I have not had a single glitch out of this thing. If you are interested, we can talk. BTW, they don't come from the factory with backlights. Also, if you are really interested, we can also work out a deal with my EXI 450 Pro. Never crashed, but needs the gears in the tail replaced with Align gears. It's a whole $13 lol. For the gears, not the heli lmao. But it will come with everything but gyro unless you want the 3 axis gyro and no flybar. If you want the flybar, then the gyro can be purchased for about $12 or so. Either way, if you are interested, we can work something out. The Pro has 2 flights on it, one with and one without flybar.

Top Bottom