1. If you would like to get rid of these banners and the ads within the posts, all you have to do is sign up and they will go away!
  2. Welcome to Rc-Help, are you here looking for the PDF Plans? They are located in the store in the tab above, but you must be signed in to access that part of the site. It only takes a second to sign up!
  3. Like Us On Facebook!
    Hello Guest, it occurred to us during that last server failure that we had no way of informing the members of the site of the failure and I would like to invite you to like us on facebook so that you can get updates if the site happens to go down again. We don't post much over there unless we are updating the members so we will not flood your feed like some places do. Just click on Like and then allow notifications and that's it. See you there soon!

Click Here To Rc-Help's Facebook page!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hey Guest, I see you are not signed up on our forum yet. Did you know Registration is FREE and is only a couple clicks away? You can even sign in from Facebook, Twitter or Google+ for your convenience! So what are you waiting for, CLICK HERE to join in on the conversation!

Projects Canadair Ct114 Tutor Build

Discussion in 'Airplanes' started by wasfixedwing, Jul 5, 2019.

< Motor | How Much Thrust Is Needed? >
  1. wasfixedwing

wasfixedwing New Member

Blog Posts:
  2. wasfixedwing

wasfixedwing New Member

Blog Posts:
    Some how all my text disappeared. Picture one is the Tutor as used in training. Pictures two and three are the Tutors in Snowbird colours. Picture four is the colours
    mine will be in. Next post I'll start the build

Don

Tony likes this.
  3. wasfixedwing

wasfixedwing New Member

Blog Posts:
    First some background. I started building rubber powered balsa models when I was 9 years old. I am now 74.
    I have built a lot of kits and modified a lot of kits due to unscheduled landings. I'm not a master builder just a modeler
    with a lot of build and repair experience.

First off I had to make a hot wire cutter. As this is to be a one time build, the cheaper the better. Home Depot had the non digital
    light dimmer. A local electronics store had the rest of the parts. I had some 1/4 inch plywood for the box. See picture one.
    Next I built the bow from some 1"x2" poplar I had. The bow is flimsy at best but as I said, it's a one shot deal. I made the bow
    30" long. This works with my wing panels which ar 27" long.
    The hot wire I got from China. It's .024 gauge for hot wire cutters. Thirty feet on a roll for $1.98 free shipping. See picture two.

From the plans, I cut out the patterns for the formers, the wing root and the wing tip. Then I glued each to 1/8" Masonite hardboard
    and cut them out. See picture three. Now the Styrofoam. Pic 4. I cut 2 pieces 1"x12"x27" and glued them together . I used 3M 77 spray adhesive
    throughout the build. Center lined the foam and attached the root and tip templates to the foam with drywall screws. Note that the wing tip
    template is 1/4" up at the trailing edge. This for the washout. Pics 5+6. I built the fuselage in sections. Former 2 to three, former 3 to 4 etc.
    Pic 7 shows the foam blocks ready for gluing and the templates. Pic 8 shows all the sections before shaping. Pic 9 is the f2-f3 station with
    F2 template on the front and F3 template on the back ready for cutting. Pic 10 is the F5-F6 section cut to basic shape and hollowed out to leave
    1/2" shell. Notice the holes left by the drywall screws. The one on the right has a 1/8" dowel in it. In the future both holes will have dowels in them for
    alignment when glued together. Remember, contact adhesive gives you only one chance to get it right. Pic 11 is all the sections stood on end. It stayed standing.
    so I guess the cuts are square. It's not glued together. Pic twelve is the right wing panel showing the 1/4" washout. Pic thirteen is the fuselage glued together.
    It's in to pieces because I was going to mount the fan in the scale position. But. I decided against it and glued tihe two together.

Next up is the wing.

Don

IMG_0748-1.JPG IMG_748-2.JPG IMG_0749.JPG IMG_0750.JPG IMG_0751.JPG IMG_0752.JPG IMG_0761.JPG IMG_0766.JPG IMG_0767.JPG IMG_0768-1.JPG IMG_0773.JPG IMG_0779.JPG IMG_0783.JPG IMG_0781.JPG

4. Tony

Tony Administrator Staff Member

Blog Posts:
    Man, definitely a lot of detail being putt into that. Loving this!

< Motor | How Much Thrust Is Needed? >