500 Building the Gaui NX4

Dirk

I'd love to, but they are just about un-affordable here. I am quite keen on an Align Trex 500 or 600.

stokke

I'd love to, but they are just about un-affordable here. I am quite keen on an Align Trex 500 or 600.

I'll try to not sidetrack my own thread here, but if you can afford a Align 600 - get it. The 500 is not quite as satisfying a step up in size as the 600 versus the 450. But still, if you could get your hands on a Goblin 500 - get it! In my experience, SAB is the leading manufacturer when it comes to helicopter nowadays - although Compass, I've heard, also has some good quality birds.

Westy

LEGEND
I agree with stokke...... Goblin 500 is in a class of its own .... Power to weight ratio and performance .... wow it is hard to compare with it ... It certainly bats well above its weight..... even if you get a Gobby500 and go align on the build components to get in at entry level ..... they are a thing of beauty and pure power and fury! ....

I have just soldered all my mates terminals on a YEP100 for his Goblin that he has just put a holding deposit on.

Dirk

Thanks for the advice guys. Whether a Goblin or a TRex 600, I'll have to save up some more.

I do love your guy's threads and building pics. Sorry if I drooled all over you!

stokke

I got so eager that with the maiden that I forgot to post the rest of the build. So here it is.

Got the rest of my stuff.

P1020403.JPG

Got the last servo.

P1020404.JPG

P1020405.JPG

Set up the swash.

P1020406.JPG

Tail mounted.

P1020407.JPG

This is a pile of parts that was left at the end of my build - hope none of them are supposed to be on the bird :D

P1020408.JPG

Behold the fabulous iKon FBL controller!

P1020409.JPG

The Align governor sensor is not a direct fit on the bird, as the bolt holes need modification. So I'll just fly curves for the time being.

P1020410.JPG

Due to the iKon having ports on all sides, I took off these brackets.

P1020411.JPG

Seeing that the counter sunk bolt heads cannot be properly seated, they stick out of the surface - not ideal when mounting a FBL system on top.

P1020412.JPG

Modding :D

P1020413.JPG

Not very pretty looking, but at least it's flush now.

P1020414.JPG

Mounted the sat's.

P1020415.JPG

Wiring.

P1020416.JPG

The swash was pretty level off the bat, only one link needed one turn up.

P1020417.JPG

Head on.

P1020418.JPG

One of the swash drivers snapped right on and off the ball with no pressure at all! Just as brittle and poor quality as the rest of the links. (At the time I'm writing this, the arm has been replaced with a new properly functioning arm).

P1020419.JPG

Stock tail blades.

P1020420.JPG

The brass inside one of the blades were drilled poorly - couldn't even get the bolt through! Drilled it open with an electric drill.

P1020421.JPG

On the picture below, the sticks are at center, and the iKon is set up. As you can see, the middle of collective travel is way off.

P1020422.JPG

To fix the above problem, I raised the entire head. The main shaft has two holes for adjustment (although the instructions says to use the lower hole).

P1020423.JPG

Collective travel good as gold.

P1020424.JPG

Setting up pitch.

P1020425.JPG

With the head set on the upper hole, I set my CP to +11,5° and -11,5°.

P1020427.JPG

Soldered on the power plug. The glow igniter is connected directly to the 2S battery, and the Rx through a 8A BEC.

P1020429.JPG

WAAAY to big Rx pack.

P1020430.JPG

Not the most beautiful wiring job I've done, but it works.

P1020431.JPG

P1020432.JPG

My fuel pump.

P1020433.JPG

Fueled up and good to go :D

P1020434.JPG

That concludes the Gaui build.

___

The instructions could have been better (I heard the latest batches should have updated and better instructions).
There are a lot of inconsistency with the smallest bolts; wrong sizes etc. A Dremel is a "must have".
The links are brittle, and those that do work are a bit loose by my standards.
The entire links and ball system is poorly thought through, so it requires a lot of trial and error during installation.
The tail slider assembly needed modification.

When completed the NX4 looks like a good quality helicopter.
Quite beefy for it's size I recon.
Big (and kewl) canopy that's easy to spot.
Gear system looks beefy and nice.

And, it flies GREAT! I have burnt through a gallon of fuel now, and I LOVE this bird! I'm still breaking in the motor, but she performs better and better for each flight. The iKon combined with this bird is a great match - fantastic feel.

Would I recommend this helicopter? Yes - but beware that you'll have to have a lot of tools at hand. If you get one of the later batches, you might not come across the problems I did.

Top Bottom