500 Building the Gaui NX4

Tony

Staff member
Looking good. If that was my engine, I would be taking a carbide ball on my dremel to that muffler to open it up a bit. But, I'm sure it will be fine as is.

Westy

LEGEND
Looking good....

Looks like those bolts are way to long on the Tail blade holders/grips. are you sure they are the correct ones? Also the binding .... does the manual show and shims between the grip threaded part and the pivot bush? Some of the Trex's have that to space the parts that half a millimetre

stokke

Looking good. If that was my engine, I would be taking a carbide ball on my dremel to that muffler to open it up a bit. But, I'm sure it will be fine as is.

Looking good....

Looks like those bolts are way to long on the Tail blade holders/grips. are you sure they are the correct ones? Also the binding .... does the manual show and shims between the grip threaded part and the pivot bush? Some of the Trex's have that to space the parts that half a millimetre

There's no shims depicted in the instructions, and there were no shims in the "tail bag" either. Yes, the bolts are very long, and that's due to bolt lengths being all over the place! LOL There are many weird lengths on bolts and rods in this build, some are too short - some are too long. But I'm making it work.

__

Fixed the end-binding on the tail shaft. Replaced the Gaui ball witn an Align ball.

P1020397.JPG

Also found the reason for the insane binding when connecting the slider. When tightening the two slider arms, the plastic gets pressed together - because the brass bushing is shorter than the plastic.

P1020398.JPG

Sanded them shorter.

P1020399.JPG

As you can see, the brass bushing now protrudes through the plastic.

P1020400.JPG

Binding mostly gone.

P1020401.JPG

Installed the boom. This boom does not have any groove to align it correctly to the helicopter - so you have to pay careful attention to the tail fin when rotating and pressing it into place.

P1020402.JPG

That's all I got to do today as I spent 5 hours flying the Goblin ;)

Westy

LEGEND
awesome! at least we got the same ball joint pliers! (Last photo) look like an HK pair lol like my bent ones.

Did you put ssome high temps Locktite teflon 537 on hte brass pressure line to pressurise the tank out of the muffler? ...... saves it getting all messy and oily!

Last edited:

stokke

awesome! at least we got the same ball joint pliers! (Last photo) look like an HK pair lol like my bent ones.

Did you put ssome high temps Locktite teflon 537 on hte brass pressure line to pressurise the tank out of the muffler? ...... saves it getting all messy and oily!

No I did not. And I'm concerned that I torqued it in so much, that if I try to remove it now it'll brake :( Hopefully it's tight enough as is. Thanks

stokke

Is it imperative that the governor sensor is positioned DIRECTLY above the magnet, or can it be a bit off?

Also, does it has to be very close to the magnet - e.g. will it read through plastic?

Westy

LEGEND
no it wont read ... has to be only an air gap and nothing at all between the 2. They are simply Hall effect sensors just like on cam and crank angle sensors on engines.

stokke

no it wont read ... has to be only an air gap and nothing at all between the 2. They are simply Hall effect sensors just like on cam and crank angle sensors on engines.

Alright. I have some cutting to do then :D Thanks

Tony

Staff member
That is not true. With a backplate sensor, it reads the crank pin through the backplate. That is a good 2-3mm. It will have no problem going through plastic as long as it's not over a few mm. Only way to find out is to test it out. But it will go through plastic without issue.

Westy

LEGEND
I guess it depends on the strength of the magnetic field. As Tony says.... give it a test and see what happens .... in the name of science :)

Tony

Staff member
I was using the backplate as an example. If the field will pass through aluminum, it will pass through plastic. The hall effect sensor is pretty sensitive so you should be okay as long as you are within a few mm as I stated before.

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
Make sure your running a little rich at first! I did not see much smoke coming out of the exhaust. Better rich than lean. Then you can dial her in after brake in.

Island Breeze

Senior Rc-Help Member
Awwww excitement! We love when the nitro heli throws out smoke..they tend to chase the mosquitos away. lol and burn our eyes.

pvolcko

I'm speaking from inexperience with nitro, but that still seems like no where near enough smoke for what these engines typically produce, especially for break-in settings which should be richer than normal.

Maybe it is lighting or the grey backgrounds hiding it. I'd be leery of it until I got some more expert opinion on it, though. :)

Top Bottom