450 Building my first! - Align T-Rex 450 Pro V2 3GX

Tony

Staff member
that is correct. You will put the blades parallel to the heli to check aileron and perpendicular to the heli to check elevator. Make sure to check both directions (forward, back, left, right) and make sure they are the same reading.

stokke

It's spool-up day!

Connected the engine.
P1000363.JPG

Stuck on the training-gear.
P1000364.JPG

And let her rip!
http://youtu.be/4_pDckc0BWU

JEZUS I WAS NERVOUS!

I triple checked my pitch settings before connecting the battery.
I also made sure throttle was low, and had Throttle Hold enabled while being near the bird.
Then I spooled her up!!
What a great sound!
What a great feeling.

I also checked my elevator pitch today, it's at 9,5°.

I set up my NORMAL MODE:

-2° at low throttle.
0° at mid stick.
+8,5° at high throttle.

Please advise on the above set-up for a beginner.
I also was able to configure the tail gyro today, I think it's looking good.

Tony

Staff member
Lower those pitch settings for ele and ail to 8º. 9.5º is a little much. Also, when you are on the ground with a FBL heli, you should never touch the cyclic stick. This will cause what you had there in that video. It will react to the input and keep that input until the heli moves or a few seconds, whatever comes first. When you are ready to take off, you will spool it up to mid stick and just as the heli is starting to lift off, you will give it right cyclic to stop the movement. Not a lot, just a little. Once in the air, it will be like normal.

murankar

Staff member
Spooling one of these first the very first time is scary. It will pass the more you fly. Just don't rush it.

stokke

Sounding great! Look like good settings to me I might bump it up to +10 to -2 though.

I'll look into that.
Thanks!

Lower those pitch settings for ele and ail to 8º. 9.5º is a little much. Also, when you are on the ground with a FBL heli, you should never touch the cyclic stick. This will cause what you had there in that video. It will react to the input and keep that input until the heli moves or a few seconds, whatever comes first. When you are ready to take off, you will spool it up to mid stick and just as the heli is starting to lift off, you will give it right cyclic to stop the movement. Not a lot, just a little. Once in the air, it will be like normal.

I'll go over the pitch once more when getting home today. I guess it's time to try a hover.
About the cyclic, I sort of learnt what you're talking about while doing it. LOL.
But thanks for the heads up.

Spooling one of these the very first time is scary. It will pass the more you fly. Just don't rush it.

I'll be sure to take tiny small steps. Think I might attempt a hover today if the weather permits it.
Thanks!

murankar

Staff member
your thumbs are going to feel numb (mine did) and your stick movement is going to feel huge. in reality you'll be making tiny stick movements. I was afraid of flipping it the first time I got it in the air.

stokke

After adjusting my end points in 3GX on the rudder slider, my stick input is not corresponding with actual slider movement.
I'm not using any D/R or expo on the tail.
The servo is set for 100% travel.

center.jpg

little.jpg

full.jpg

It's working fine, and not binding...
But the way it's set up right now, I guess the stick-to-tail-input will be SUPER sensitive, and that's not good for a beginner.
Please advise.

sterlingh

I'm just following along trying to learn as much as I can. So I really cannot help with any comments, but I can say I like the way that looked. Knowing you built that up from scratch, and set up the helicopter, then to watch it spool up was an absolute work of art. I thoroughly enjoyed it thank you for posting.

stokke

I'm just following along trying to learn as much as I can. I thoroughly enjoyed it, thank you for posting.

You'll learn a bunch while building your Sport, that I can promise you. As for the rest, well you're in the right place for help!
It's been a pleasure building and documenting this. Truly a rewarding learning-experience.

That was me back in march. In a few weeks if you keep at you'll be in the air.

I've been out hopping today! Video on the way.
Some minor issues though, including the one posted above.

stokke

In spite of having some trouble with my rudder pitch-slider, I just had to have a go!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRvIwxfRXqc

I was very intimidated at first, but after some hops I found she's really steady :D
As you can see while it's still on the ground, the flybarless is working like a charm!

The rudder is responding to input, but it's crazy sensitive due to my problem which still isn't fixed.
Please, advise on this if you have any tips - the problem is described here!

I'm really glad I did this on the lawn, as I did ground-pound the bird a few times, and I'm wondering what damage the tail-protector bracket would have sustained had this been on pavement or gravel :worked_till_5am: I'm also glad the training gear is on there. I've used the bird for about 5 minutes total, and it has saved me multiple times already!

There is a gain problem with the tail-gyro I'm sure, because the tail seemed to wag like an angry bee at some points, so I guess I'll lower the gain some.
Also, the blades were covered in thin red stripes, killed off a bunch of bugs I guess. LOL

Tony

Staff member
I sure do wish there was more in frame video of that heli. then I could see what it was doing other than taking off to the left lol. But, it's still in one piece so that's all that matters now.

stokke

I sure do wish there was more in frame video of that heli. then I could see what it was doing other than taking off to the left lol. But, it's still in one piece so that's all that matters now.

LOL, I know Tony, but I'm just crap at controlling it at this point :D
As for the rudder pitch-slider, I have come to find this is normal behavior!

This might be like swearing in church, but what the hay: http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=370360

Turns out that while on the bench, the rudder stick movement does not translate correct visually, but while in the air - rudder will function as intended.
Only way to be sure of this is to fly some more I guess :D

stokke

Okay guys, last night I took the 450 down to the soccer-field I usually fly my smaller bird.
And let her rip!!

http://youtu.be/j3XJzsOJ4UE

It does not come out very well on my video, but the training gear is shaking violently at times.
So I took a chance, blinded by adrenaline and overconfidence, I took off the training gear :worked_till_5am: :worked_till_5am:

http://youtu.be/w54JQ7_kLQE

My God I was nervous, almost sick to my stomach...
I had already experienced the ground-compensation issues with the FBL the previous day, this knowledge was of course applied when taking off.
On my last run, I noticed there is a slight drift on the tail. Guess I will set the gain a little higher.

My simulator training really came in handy, as the bird flew VERY much as expected.
Aside from the take-off, I thought the bird was much easier to fly than previously anticipated.

Well, this almost concludes my build, any further videos and/or pictures will be posted in the multimedia section.
I will update with all my settings and findings as a conclusion, but that's after flying some more.
Also, I would like to thank everybody who has helped out, encouraged me, posted their thoughts and input!

Thanks! :pride:

Tony

Staff member
If you have some drift in the tail, adjust the linkage rod to get rid of it. It takes a little bit to get right, but it's worth it.

Lee

Well done Marius. Great job. She looks very stable and you flew it very well. Its a huge rush the first time you fly without training gear, but as you said its actually easier to fly, more responsive.

Tony

Staff member
I was just now able to watch this video and you are doing great. I do have one concern however. Flying at dusk is not the best time. That is when your eyes are changing over from bright light to dim light, also known as the Purkinje effect. This transition is unknown to you while it's happening, but your eyes lose depth perception as well as color saturation. This can cause a loss of orientation. Just trying to keep you safe with your new bird.

stokke

Thanks all you guys! It's really great to get such positive feedback :D

Tony, your warning is duly noted. I will limit my flying hours to daytime!

BTW, I did a "look-over" today, checked everything, wiped it down, applied some oil and such, when I noticed the blade grips were coming loose!!
I disassembled the head, applied more TL, and put it back together.

Really shows how important pre-flight and post-flight checks are.
I'll be sure to maintain and check the bird often.

Top Bottom